Coptic Life in america??

edited May 2004 in Random Issues
im just Curious, cause i still have trouble picturing it, wats it like being Coptic in america?
r we like a well known religion over there?
do u guys have church on sundays?
is there any descrimination?
do u all have american accents, or some wierd kinda mix gypo-american accent?
do u guys have heaps of churchs?
in australia we have copts but were not really well knownas a religion, as in most ppl have neva heard of us hear, although i think thatll change soon...
tell me wats it like???

Comments

• No actually, very few people know of us. Its hard for people to grasp the idea that we aren’t Muslim due to the fact we are from Egypt. This would be a conversation with your typical person…

Person: Oh cool you’re from Egypt! So are you Muslim?
    Me: No, I’m orthodox Christian.
    Person: Oh interesting, but you’re Muslim right?
    Me: No….. I’m Coptic
    Person: ohhhh, Coptic, so u celebrate Ramadan?
    Me: NO, I’m Christian, NOT Muslim.
    Person: it must be hard having to pray 5 times a day…
    Me: I wouldn’t know; I’m not Muslim! I’m Coptic orthodox Christian!
    Person: Oh right, Christian…, well I’ll see you later Mohammed
    Me: My name is mark
    Person: yeah that’s what I meant Mustafa, bye

Ugh…. Maybe a little over dramatized, but the American society is just as dense. Or maybe it’s just the people in Brooklyn…

-Mark
  • lol :D :D :D :D :D :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D
    i know exactly how u feel, thats soo funny cause its soooo realistic...
    Good stuff mark ;) ;) ;) ;)
  • guys i know theres heaps of u guys on this site from america, give me sum info, dont be shy :o
    ;)
  • Does Canadian stories work??

Defender!
  • yeh!! good enough :o
    lets make it anywhere in the world except australia!
    open it up a bit...
  • George,

This is an excellent topic!

Being from 'down-under' (Australia) as well... it would be nice to know how the Coptic Orthodox Church is going - around the world!

Mark, I've got to say, you have quite a sense of humour... but I was pretty shocked to hear that the Orthodox Church is hardly known...!!! I mean "Coptic" might be too specific for most Americans.... but surely Orthodoxy is widely known??!!

Oh... and Defender.... Are there many differences between America and Canada?

God Bless You all...

Sorry to add to George's Questions... but I know america has at least 2 dioceses (LA & Southern US)...but are there more? And Canada?
  • America has many many many churches and a couple of dioceses. Theres one in NJ that I'm sure of. Amba David is priest there if you guys know him. Orthodoxy is well known, however Coptic is not well-known. Most people, as Mark remarked (mark remarked ? lol) automatically think if you're Egyptian, you're Muslim. But once a thorough explanation of you're religion is posed, most people think its really cool. Life here is not much different from Australia, i presume. I'm not from Canada, but from what i hear, it isn't much different either.

I am the youngest among my brothers: and a youth in the house of my father: I was a shepherded over the flock of my father: My hands made an organ: and my fingers fashioned a psaltery: Alleluia,
    - Chris
  • Well, esp. in Canada, people don't like religion, in fact they think religious people are weird, and in the Coptic Church pretty much everyone fits the description of 'religious' ! As for theology, protestants fight catholics, either through books or even textbooks. Eastern Orthodox does exist and is only known to educated people! We are thought of as atholics and theerefore hated by protestants!!

It's just like Mark's convo except remove all muslim and put catholic!!!

Pray 4 me

Defender!
  • i have an interesting story.
    during science class, i sat next to a greek orthodox girl and during xmas time we talked about the different dates of xmas (12/25 and 1/7).
    after sept. 11, she and another girl came up to me and asked
    "r u muslim" i flipped out.
    i was like"____(her name) dont u rem when we discussed xmas."
    she said" so ur not muslim"
    i said "NOOOOOOOO"
    i can really relate to what mark said.
  • I know it's so crazy!!!

Defender!
  • wow!! thats weird. my friend arent like that. they all know that im christian. the only thing that they dont understand is that they're christians. i go like im christian like u and they go like we're not christian, we're catholic. lol :)
  • I also think they are under the impression that the cross is some type of decoration. Rather than it being symbolic of Christianity and Jesus, to them it’s merely an ornament. I personally don’t wear jewelry; however, I’ve seen many cases of people being asked of if they were Muslim and people having to explain why we aren’t Muslim while these people had immense crosses sitting on their chests. The sad thing is, on top of alllll of that explaining and persuading, people STILL don’t get it. We might celebrate Christmas, Easter, wear crosses, and have the word Christian tattooed on our foreheads, but when “3ed” comes around and I’m coincidentally absent on that day, my English teacher still manages to ask me “how was your holiday?” the next day. When I answer, “that was a Muslim holiday, I’m Christian” she gawks at me in confusion, “oh I knew that, but you don’t even celebrate 3ed?”. Uhhhh NO!! I DON’T CELEBRATE IT! Why on earth would I celebrate a Muslim holiday if I wasn’t Muslim?! Lets see, what more can I say except, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m ready to pull my hair out. She isn’t an ignorant person, and she knows very well of my orthodoxy and I know this because I’ve explained and discussed this many times, yet has a great deal of trouble getting this through her head.

When Ramadan comes around and she sees me eating a sandwich, “ooo mark!!! I caught you cheating!!” what I want to say: “oooo Mrs. Parn! I caught you being retarded again! You should have your teaching license taken away.” Alas, I dish out another explanation, which has clearly proven to be useless to most of our dim witted American society.

To maintain some hope, she’s just the worst of the people I’ve encountered. SOME people can be convinced, but it’s no easy task. It’s like trying to convince a child that there really is no such thing as ‘Santa clause’ when they’ve been lied to for the past 8 years of their life, very very difficult; yet possible...

Anyway to come back to my original point about the cross, you can’t blame them for thinking the cross is just any old pendant. When people like Madonna and Elton John wear crosses, then go and kiss other women on TV, stand for and support abominable acts, curse, and do vulgar things; they rob the cross of any significance it once had…

-Mark
  • i agree, people take the cross as a fashion
  • Yeah...

Maybe not to the same extent as you guys are describing... but here as well...Egyptian means Muslim!

They might not know what Coptic Orthodox means but...luckily though, after explaining to people that I'm CHRISTIAN they understand! (I hope!)

Actually, about the "Catholic's don't think they're Christian" we have that here too (but it's not as strong as you described it). I once had to explain to a Catholic Person the DEFINITION OF CHRISTIANITY for 20 minutes before i convinced them that they were Christian too!!!!!... (or maybe they just gave up and got sick of me???)

But i'm getting the feeling that living a Christian life in America is a little difficult?? Or maybe it's just that people don't know what Christianity means??

Anyway, please tell us more... Do you have hundreds of CHURCHES? and Congregations? or what?

God Bless
  • Here I'm thought of as a catholic and get silliy comments from protestant coz they think I'm catholic...

Defender!
  • hey u guys... just a little tip, when u post something, plz say where ur from if u havent previously
    anywayz, im from NJ, USA
    and we have 2 Arch Diocese's, one in Cedar Grove, NJ and one somewhere in the Southern states where HG Anba Youssef is the head of it
    we also have a monastary in California, where His Late, Grace Anba Karas was the head of it
    there are several churches here on the east coast... i can say one or more in every county just about, possibly every other county if they dont have many families in that area
    only reason of y its so hard to be a Coptic American here is because of everything thats going on around us...
    i wear a cross or my name plate every day... but i'm often seen in school wearing my cross, so this one kid comes up to u (his last name just happens to be Pope) and says, are u muslim? now, u have to understand, this kid is one of those wise guys that if i said yes, he would have taunted me till the day i died... but i'm not, so i said 'no, i only wear a cross because i need something around my neck (sarcasm)' and he goes 'o, i thought u were muslim, me and my friends wanted to search ur book bag to make sure u didnt have explosives in there... if ur not muslim, then where are u from?' i said egypt... he says no, like where are u from? i say egypt, then the name of my town... then he says again... where are u from? i say, what do u mean?!
    in the end, he meant what religon are u... but anywayz
    i have one more story... everybody in my spanish class knows i'm egyptian, and christian because i alwayz brag about my church in jersey city and how cool our priests and bishops are, etc, etc... so this one chinese kid is talking to one of the guys in my class... and somehow they get into this convo about me, and this kid, john, mentions to the chinese dude that i'm egy... the chinese kid goes in a louddd voice... YO, THOSE PEOPLE ARE STILL ALIVE!!! I THOUGHT THEY DIED A LONG TIME AGO!!!
    the whole class started cracking up

its just difficult because of the ignorance of other ppl... but we tooare at times ignorant, and as the Lord enlightens us, we must enlighten them...
  • I hate How people are so ignorant,

I always get the statements:

"Oh ofcourse coz ur egyptian...", "does ur dad go to work riding on a camel....", "did you used to live in a pyramid..?" and what really bothers me sometimes is that they call H.H. the Pope a Pharoah.....

defender
  • yea... i one time got taht one of our priests looked like osama bin laden....
    go figure! lol
  • Man, I coyuld be ignorant too, but I choose not to. They can be ignorant and they choose to be so.

Youth in my church call them "white ppl" coz usually we get comments like that from whites, I get pissed sometimes coz I have white skin even though my dad has dark skin, and every1 at Church has dark skin!!!

LOL, that's not the topic here though, but does anyone face the "black and white" thing when reffering to Egyptians and Foreigners??

Defender
  • yea...but alota ppl think im hispanic....sum random ppl will come up to me n talk in spanish n i have no clue wut they're saying...i live in California --SMS...u ever been to the St. Anthony Monastery, i luv it there...sry i got off topic--nehow, i tell ppl im Orthodox Christian cuz no1 knows wut Coptic is ...n most of them get it or i try to get it to click in their mind wit Greek Orthodox..
  • In Winnipeg, or may I say "Win a Pig" or "Whinny Pig" or even "Wiennie, pig" has either catholic, Ukrainian Orthodox or protestant, If I tell them I'm Coptic they'll probably think I'm a communist or a kind of drink, so I stick with Eastern Orthodox,

But as usuall, protestants ask me very RACIST AND DUMB questions, even my principal discriminates Eastern Orthodox ppl and Catholic ppl, >:( What a jerk??

He said pretty mean stuff about our Church in front of everybody and he was addresing me and my friend, that day I went to Church in the afternoon and couldn't hold it anymore and started crying, even remembering what happened is very painful!

But my joy is always remembering that my sufferings are sweet compared to the ones I had to suffer, that Christ suffered for me!

Defender!
  • u say that egyptian means muslim, minrew
    but then the word coptic acctually means egyptian, so if coptic = egyptian and egyptian = muslim, then are u tryin to tell me that coptic = muslim?????
  • G.J.I.-
    tats definitely wat i call overanalyzing and reading into something that wasnt meant like that. She was making a generalization, how Coptic is a minority in Egypt and most Egyptians are muslim.

- Chris
  • i think what minrew meant also was that ppl generalize the middle east as muslim.. so when u say ur egy, the think ur muslim.. when u say ur coptic, then u say ur from our egy land... they think ur muslim
    :o i get a headache from just thinking about that! lol :P

battata, i get the same thing... i dont think i look spanish or indian, but thats what i get... one guy actually thought my mom was italian and came up to her preaching the bible in italian at the airport... it was funny
    and yes, i've been to cali A LOT in my life because i have some family there, and i love the Monastary there... its amazing...

as for u Defender!... i'm sorry about ur incident there... here in america, if someone told that to us even if we went to some school in a mosque (which i dont think ANY exist here) we have the right to sue that person for alotta stuff because its like offending our rights... sorry but i dont know the law in canada...
    also, arent we similar to the Ukranian Orthodox's?
    as for whites and blacks... i think we are all a little bit ignorant when we call them that, because i do that too... i'll stereotype them by telling a friend that she sounds white or that he looks like a black person wearing certain kinds of clothes...

it's a long journey home... hang in there people
  • I would want to sue him, but I can't! I have no evidence!!

Defender
  • witnesses?
    lol... i didnt mean that our motives should be to sue him... but ask ur preist what can u do?
    maybe talking to ur principal one on one would help?
    tell him u dont appreciate the discrimination that u face in the school...? ???
  • I already talked to my Priest and told him about how he made fun of the Priest, but the Priest just laughed!!

My mom did go to the principal though and she yelled at his face for a long time!!

And now, he knows that if he even says a word, I would contact pastor fontane and get him fired!

Defender
  • [quote author=G.J.I link=board=1;threadid=276;start=15#msg2456 date=1085477572]
    u say that egyptian means muslim, minrew
    but then the word coptic acctually means egyptian, so if coptic = egyptian and egyptian = muslim, then are u tryin to tell me that coptic = muslim?????

Actually George... it may sound funny but if you read my comment again... THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT i MEANT!!! i apologise, i should have made it clearer!

I think 'SMS' understood exactly what i meant!!

I meant that Here (in AUSTRALIA) when you tell people that you are Egyptian (or COPTIC - IF YOU LIKE)... they automatically assume that you are MUSLIM until you EXPLAIN IT VERY CAREFULLY TO THEM...

As 'Banoub' said... Coptic Orthodoxy is a 'religious minority' in Egypt so most people in Western or other societies who are not familiar with Egypt ASSUME that Egyptians are Muslim!!

I was only commenting to our American brothers and sisters, that we are experiencing similar misunderstandings and frustrations as them (BUT DEFINITELY NOT TO THE SAME EXTENT :o)

Hope i have explained myself...

God Bless
    Please pray for my weakness.
  • oh kool, i thought u meant that the word egpytian meant (techniqually) muslim, i get it now, few!
    plz forgive me man, i know i must of offended u in some way, and i should be shot, but can we, just this once, let this slide...
  • George!

What are you talking about??? It's perfectly cool!! ;)

You didn't offend me at all!!!!... it's my fault for not being clear... please forgive ME. :-[

Thankyou for being sincere though! :)

God Bless You!
    Pray for me