The End of the World - I think its coming...

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi,

You know in the Bible it says the following:

# "For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows." (Matthew 24:7-8)

# "And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;" (Luke 21:25).

Are these two verses talking about the signs for the end of the world?

Its just, i was thinking and saying to myself that its really odd that:

a) 26,000 died in 2003 in BAM (Iran) - Earthquake
b) In 1931 The yellow fever flood  in china claimed up to 1,000,000 to 4,000,000 lives
c) In 1970 The Bhola cyclone in Bangladesh claimed up to 500,000 lives
d) Egypt - countless died there too in an Earthquake since 2000 (i think twice)
e) Hurricane Katrina left more than 1,200 people dead in the Gulf Coast region of the U.S.,
f) The Earthquake in pakistan, Afghanistan and India is in the 20,000 to 30,000 range so far.
g) An estimated 275,000 people lost their lives from a tsunami sparked by an undersea earthquake in the Indian Ocean.
h) Recently, there was 20,000 estimated lives lost in a disaster in Burma
i) Just today, thousands are dead in an Earthquake in CHina.

THen, it occurred to me: Food is getting expensive. People are now killing themselves in Egypt over bread. The price of food has really gone up.

Especially, the last verse of Saint Luke (above) "the seas and waves roaring"... i mean.. HELLO!!!

I guess we can argue that volcanoes and hurricanes have been going on since the 11th century, but, all of a sudden, with all our technology, with all our modernisation and advancement, they are still happening and still killing millions.

I think God gave us these signs to help us get ready - prepared for His Glorious and Awesome coming. I cannot wait personally.

Does this look like something real, or is it just my imagination???

As for pestilences, I was in Liberia when I saw this documentary on Anthrax on the jungle. Its pretty horrific. I mean, we are talking thousands of hippos dying instantly from this.

Guys, I'm not kidding, but I really think something's gonna happen soon...

Can someone send me links/bible quotes of other signs?? What else will happen??

It says nation will rise against nation.. but Bush is only in office until November. Do u think he can pull that off before he leaves? Its hard to say...?

Also, wasn't there some prophecy about peace in the Middle East, but false peace??? Something bad will happen in the Holy Land?? No?? I heard about that.. but I forgot...

Comments

• Greetings:
    Daniel 12 teaches about 'The End Times'. Still Christ tells us that even He does not know when the 'End' will come only God the Father knows; and it will be like a thief in the night! If we are not prepared, no, not even modern technology will save us, especially not!!!
    We should concentrate on making ourselves holy and acceptable, because there will be no mistaking Christos' return: Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess...
  • Christianity is in contradistinction to the mantra of this world, by saying we should live each day as our last. If the world believed that they would say, "eat, and be merry, for tomorrow we die". Instead, Christianity uses this teaching to instil in us a sense of fear of God, mindfulness of Judgement, accountability, and vigilance. It brings us to die daily, so that we would put to death the old man, and put on Christ.

It does not matter so much whether it is the end of the world. It matters that we do know it is always near, and that our lives no less may end any time as well, and hence, we should always be alert.
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=6578.msg87266#msg87266 date=1210609527]
    Christianity is in contradistinction to the mantra of this world, by saying we should live each day as our last. If the world believed that they would say, "eat, and be merry, for tomorrow we die". Instead, Christianity uses this teaching to instil in us a sense of fear of God, mindfulness of Judgement, accountability, and vigilance. It brings us to die daily, so that we would put to death the old man, and put on Christ.

It does not matter so much whether it is the end of the world. It matters that we do know it is always near, and that our lives no less may end any time as well, and hence, we should always be alert.

Yeah, OK clay, but the topic here, at hand, today, is "The ENd of the World" - I mean, do u see these as signs that the end of the world is nigh??
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6578.msg87258#msg87258 date=1210603926]
    Greetings:
    Daniel 12 teaches about 'The End Times'. Still Christ tells us that even He does not know when the 'End' will come only God the Father knows; and it will be like a thief in the night! If we are not prepared, no, not even modern technology will save us, especially not!!!
    We should concentrate on making ourselves holy and acceptable, because there will be no mistaking Christos' return: Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess...

I feel that is important to clarify a common misconception concerning this particular verse. It has been stated above that Christ does not know when the Apocalypse will be.  I refer to St. Jerome's commentary for a brief introduction to the topic: "Seeing that Jesus, that is, The Word of God, made all times, (for By him all things were made, and without him was not anything made that was made,) and that the day of judgment must be in all time, by what reasoning can He who knows the whole be shown to be ignorant of a part?" The Church Fathers, including St. John Chrysostom, Hilary of Poitiers, and Blessed Augustine, among others, agree that the meaning of the word know is not what we usually think of as "knowing"... rather than signifying His having the knowledge of, it refers to His not making known the Day to the others, namely, humankind. References can be found at the following: http://www.catecheticsonline.com/CatenaAurea-Matthew24.php. This website is great because it has organized many of the commentaries of the Church Fathers on the verses of the Bible. I have just come across the site, so I cannot attest to whether or not all of the Fathers cited are recognized by Orthodoxy, but a quick look seems to show evidence of this.

I would also like to mention that the original Greek does not have the phrase "nor the Son" in the verse mentioned above, as can be evidenced in a great Bible translation that has been made directly from the original Greek, called the Third Millenium Bible.

People have sought after signs since Christ ascended into heaven, and this can be evidenced in the Bible itself. We do not know, nor can we predict when the end will be. Again, as is the final topic of my postings thus far, do not worry of such things, but simply pray for your soul's salvation. This is not for man to know, but it is for man to pray.

Pray for my soul's salvation,
    childoforthodoxy
  • I agree, Whether or not the end is near should not have an effect on us because we should be always vigilant. Because even if the end is near, when will your life end? The end of the world could be in 2 days but you die today, either way you were not aware of the end so to speak. I personally don't think this is near the end but only the very very beginings of it. The crisis that occured during the WWII era was much much worse than it is now, famine, wars rumors of wars complete economic depresion(hence the name the Great Depression). So I personally don't see that times are soo awful but the unusual number of natural disasters seems to be increasing but who knows. Of course one of the huge signs of the end will be the rebuilding of Solomons Temple so that they begin to make sacrafices again. They are actually ready to start building but the only thing standing in their way is the mosque that covers the area that the temple was at. Also of course the coming of the Anti-christ is huge but nobody knows how he will come and how he will act. If you go back each persons name corresponds to a number, Hitlers name corresponded to 666 as well as other awful people during the times, so you never know. Be ready and be vigilent for you don't know of this day nor the day of your death.
  • We shouldnt be scared, the Lord did not tell us the end times so that were scared still and will try our best to be good so that we get to heaven. Once again, its not only about being good, its about Loving God and wanted to live with God. Many people can "be good" but if they dont want a relationship with the Lord Jesus than theres no hope. God did not infact want to scare us by telling us no one knows the day of jugdment. If we are good out of fear and not out of the love of God, than whats the point of being good?  I listened to a sermon by Father Anthony Messeh, and he said that the in early church they would actually speak about the end times to comfort the people. The book of revelations was actually used to COMFORT everyone in the early church. They werent scared at all, they were praying and hoping that all these things would come to pass so they could see our Lord once again.

Remember that the early church believed that Jesus was coming soon, they never thought it would be 2000 years or more later. Seeing as how for them only a few years ago Christ acsended into the heavens and promised to come back to take them to their heavenly home.

My point is simply, we should worry when the end times are, when they come we will know. And we shouldnt get "all holy" when we see some signs of the end times only because were afraid he could come any second. We should always be Holy because of our love for God, and remember, OUR judgement day is the day we die. So if the end of the world is tomorrow and we die today than today is our judgement.
  • It is like the thief at night but personally I don't think so. But of course, What position am I to be sure in? I just say this because where is anti-Christ? And also I remember reading or hearing that the world will all be one nation and Anti-Christ will be ruler.

I am not 100% sure of anything I said above nor am I 100% sure that the end will be in five minutes. I am more like 5% sure. But there are 2 reasons up there why I don't think it is THAT soon.

1. I haven't heard of any Anti-Christ yet. He must be Jewish and he must also be the king (Now-a-days I would this President of Israel)

2. The world is not one government although There is the "League of Nations" Which is basically a discussion hall with all the important worldly leaders for around the globe.

I am very young and uneducated compared to the older mind. If I said some wrong information please correct me.

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
    P.S. Some major troubles have been created today against me. Please Pray for me and all your brothers and sisters.
    Remember prayer, Never forget praise.
  • [quote author=copt andrew link=topic=6578.msg87302#msg87302 date=1210626526]
    It is like the thief at night but personally I don't think so. But of course, What position am I to be sure in? I just say this because where is anti-Christ? And also I remember reading or hearing that the world will all be one nation and Anti-Christ will be ruler.

I am not 100% sure of anything I said above nor am I 100% sure that the end will be in five minutes. I am more like 5% sure. But there are 2 reasons up there why I don't think it is THAT soon.

1. I haven't heard of any Anti-Christ yet. He must be Jewish and he must also be the king (Now-a-days I would this President of Israel)

2. The world is not one government although There is the "League of Nations" Which is basically a discussion hall with all the important worldly leaders for around the globe.

I am very young and uneducated compared to the older mind. If I said some wrong information please correct me.

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
    P.S. Some major troubles have been created today against me. Please Pray for me and all your brothers and sisters.
    Remember prayer, Never forget praise.

Andrew,
    I'll pray for u. Good luck bro!!
    Well done for thinking of the Lord in the time of your affliction.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6578.msg87255#msg87255 date=1210600396]
    Hi,

You know in the Bible it says the following:

# "For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows." (Matthew 24:7-8)

# "And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;" (Luke 21:25).

Are these two verses talking about the signs for the end of the world?

Its just, i was thinking and saying to myself that its really odd that:

a) 26,000 died in 2003 in BAM (Iran) - Earthquake
    b) In 1931 The yellow fever flood  in china claimed up to 1,000,000 to 4,000,000 lives
    c) In 1970 The Bhola cyclone in Bangladesh claimed up to 500,000 lives
    d) Egypt - countless died there too in an Earthquake since 2000 (i think twice)
    e) Hurricane Katrina left more than 1,200 people dead in the Gulf Coast region of the U.S.,
    f) The Earthquake in pakistan, Afghanistan and India is in the 20,000 to 30,000 range so far.
    g) An estimated 275,000 people lost their lives from a tsunami sparked by an undersea earthquake in the Indian Ocean.
    h) Recently, there was 20,000 estimated lives lost in a disaster in Burma
    i) Just today, thousands are dead in an Earthquake in CHina.

THen, it occurred to me: Food is getting expensive. People are now killing themselves in Egypt over bread. The price of food has really gone up.

Especially, the last verse of Saint Luke (above) "the seas and waves roaring"... i mean.. HELLO!!!

I guess we can argue that volcanoes and hurricanes have been going on since the 11th century, but, all of a sudden, with all our technology, with all our modernisation and advancement, they are still happening and still killing millions.

I think God gave us these signs to help us get ready - prepared for His Glorious and Awesome coming. I cannot wait personally.

Does this look like something real, or is it just my imagination???

As for pestilences, I was in Liberia when I saw this documentary on Anthrax on the jungle. Its pretty horrific. I mean, we are talking thousands of hippos dying instantly from this.

Guys, I'm not kidding, but I really think something's gonna happen soon...

Can someone send me links/bible quotes of other signs?? What else will happen??

It says nation will rise against nation.. but Bush is only in office until November. Do u think he can pull that off before he leaves? Its hard to say...?

Also, wasn't there some prophecy about peace in the Middle East, but false peace??? Something bad will happen in the Holy Land?? No?? I heard about that.. but I forgot...

I agree with you QT_PA_2T, because there are many signs that have come true, and the Anti-Christ is Obama. There are over 9 true signs. I know it is bad to say, but it is the truth. I mean, it only makes sense. I agree with you, but we shouldn't be looking for the end of time from now, because as mentioned, only God the Father knows the true time. Therefore, we must confess as often as possible because the end of the world can be any time.
  • I agree with you QT_PA_2T, because there are many signs that have come true, and the Anti-Christ is Obama.

LOOL.Can you explain?? Thanks once again for making me laugh.
  • I JUST KNEW it had to be a democrat who was going to be the Anti-Christ. Yeah.. that makes sense Aem.
  • [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6578.msg87277#msg87277 date=1210616366]
    ... remember, OUR judgement day is the day we die. So if the end of the world is tomorrow and we die today than today is our judgement.

I disagree.

If what you say is true, then what of the actual Judgment Day when our Lord returns, and raises those who have slept from the dead?

aem: Prove that Obama is the anti-Christ - this sounds like an interesting theory, but do you have Orthodox sources to back it up?

Keep in mind that all throughout history, people have always thought the end of the world was in a very short time, no differently than we are now. We need to focus on perfecting our spiritual lives through Confession and Communion, regardless of whether or not the end of days is near - if we do those two things, and as long as were baptized in the Holy Faith and anointed with the Holy Myron, then, through the Grace of God and according to His promises, we will be fine.
  • [quote author=Severus link=topic=6578.msg87310#msg87310 date=1210627910]
    [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6578.msg87277#msg87277 date=1210616366]
    ... remember, OUR judgement day is the day we die. So if the end of the world is tomorrow and we die today than today is our judgement.

I disagree.

If what you say is true, then what of the actual Judgment Day when our Lord returns, and raises those who have slept from the dead?

aem: Prove that Obama is the anti-Christ - this sounds like an interesting theory, but do you have Orthodox sources to back it up?

Keep in mind that all throughout history, people have always thought the end of the world was in a very short time, no differently than we are now. We need to focus on perfecting our spiritual lives through Confession and Communion, regardless of whether or not the end of days is near - if we do those two things, and as long as were baptized in the Holy Faith and anointed with the Holy Myron, then, through the Grace of God and according to His promises, we will be fine.

WHat do u mean "disagree" Sev ??? Aem says the Anti-Christ is Obama. I had a 2-1 bet on either Madonna or Britnney Spears. Its Obama... makes sense.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6578.msg87311#msg87311 date=1210628067]
    [quote author=Severus link=topic=6578.msg87310#msg87310 date=1210627910]
    [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=6578.msg87277#msg87277 date=1210616366]

I disagree.

WHat do u mean "disagree" Sev ??? Aem says the Anti-Christ is Obama. I had a 2-1 bet on either Madonna or Britnney Spears. Its Obama... makes sense.

No, I disagreed with his theory on Judgement directly after death ;)

I just want to see Orthodox sources on the Obama subject, that is all.
  • Sorry, Kinda of topic but...
    Is it just me or is everyone finally deciding to change their picture at the exact same time.  ;D

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
  • Ok,
    One prophecy about the Anti-Christ is that he would be from south of Israel (Kenya is south of Israel)
    Also, he is getting SO MANY funds from people
    His words are convincing and peaceful, but in the end, they will cause chaos (The War on Terrorism)
    And another prophecy is that the Anti-Christ "would seem to be peaceful, but had war in his heart" (seems to be the case)

Obama seems to be another Hitler, I can just see it, I don't know how else to explain, but it is true...HE IS THE ANTICHRIST...HE IS GOING TO WIN THE PRESIDENCY...THE PROPHECIES WILL BE FULFILLED IN THE NEXT 4-8 YEARS. SO ALL WATCH CAREFULLY!!
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=6578.msg87322#msg87322 date=1210629445]
    Ok,
    One prophecy about the Anti-Christ is that he would be from south of Israel (Kenya is south of Israel)
    His words are convincing and peaceful, but in the end, they will cause chaos (The War on Terrorism)
    And another prophecy is that the Anti-Christ "would seem to be peaceful, but had war in his heart" (seems to be the case)

Obama seems to be another Hitler, I can just see it, I don't know how else to explain, but it is true...HE IS THE ANTICHRIST...HE IS GOING TO WIN THE PRESIDENCY...THE PROPHECIES WILL BE FULFILLED IN THE NEXT 4-8 YEARS. SO ALL WATCH CAREFULLY!!

Yeah man, wasn't there a prophecy like the US President will offer a sacrifice in Israel that's going to be an insult or something like that??? Did u hear about that?

If Obama gets divorced, and marries Madonna or Britney spears, this is REALLY gonna look bad.
  • Yeah, I agree, and one more thing to prove it: OBAMA IS CHARISMATIC AS ANYONE COULD BE!!! HE EVEN PASSED HILLARY IN SUPERDELEGATES. Anyways, it sounds kind of familiar (about the prophecy). Obama is going to do ANYTHING but divorce his wife, because the Anti-Christ is supposed to be one that no one would know. The governments ARE becoming one, so far the Euro has been coming in more and more countries. So, that's all the proof I remember off the top of my head.
  • No Body knows when the Son of God is coming back.......    what do you think the people that lived in World war 2 thought..... they obviously thought it was the end of the world ... bombs droping on them every night and sodiers in the streets.. they thought they were close to the Judgement day... but aparently not.....   we can say all we want but no body knows when it is....

by the way.......i wouldn't want to be alive when the second coming is near... because the Bible says that brother will betray brother, there will be 12 months (or something like that) of torture to the beleiving Chritians( it is written in Revelations) and honestly.....  i really wouldn't want that to happen... what if my faith isn't strong enough for all these persecutions???..

Another MAJOR sign that the end is near is the UNITING of the CHURCHES...........  and we are still all broken up, in Orthodox, Catholic, etc...
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6578.msg87323#msg87323 date=1210629649]
    [quote author=aem581 link=topic=6578.msg87322#msg87322 date=1210629445]
    Ok,

Yeah man, wasn't there a prophecy like the US President will offer a sacrifice in Israel that's going to be an insult or something like that??? Did u hear about that?

If Obama gets divorced, and marries Madonna or Britney spears, this is REALLY gonna look bad.

Guys enough sarcasim, some people are trying to learn from this forum and if this kind of discussion is going on it reflects to outsiders. Please get back to the topic at hand
  • Actually, from other posts, coptic pharaoh, we discussed that the Orthodox Churches AND Catholic Churches have been coming to unison agreements from as far back as the 1980s. I could find the document (I have it somewhere).
  • jydeacon,
    I was actually serious.
  • OK JY,

But the 1st comment was serious, and i heard this in a Sunday School Presentation:

That the US leader will in fact offer a sacrifice on the alter in Jerusalem. It will be of a Pig. This will cause HUGE problems, and that will lead to a war.

Secondly, the comment about the Churches uniting - yes - this is also another prophecy. God wishes there to be ONE Church - (Us!). but we are close to uniting...

Obviously, the comment about Madonna and Britney was not a prophecy at all - it just seemed like common sense at the time.
  • i also think that the end of the world might start in Israel, because the Jews have to rebuild the temple of solomon before "the Messiah" comes to save them from all their enemies....  but it isn't this easy... the muslims already built their mosque " el 2ods" on top of the place where Solomon's temple once stood... so the jews are going to destroy the mosque, then the muslims countries, who are getting more and more nuclear weapons, will obviously blow israel of the map....    that is one way the second coming could begin....

and AEM, the Orthodox  and the Catholic Churches will not be united until the Catholics take out the 9 diferences they have from the Orthodox.....    and the Uniting of the Churches is beggining.....  not yet done thou
  • too many prophecies need to be fulfilled. The moon needs to turn to blood, the sun wil not shine anymore, the anti-christ will come and turn many away from God. Also, the anti-christ will need some time to start writing his beliefs and preaching to people. Unless the anti-christ is the prophet Muhammad, which is possible, we still have many years.

There will be many raging storms, the prophet elijah will come back to earth, and Judaism will be a religon of the past. In other words, no more jews. They will all believe in Christ. Obviously, there is still lots to happen.
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6578.msg87333#msg87333 date=1210630442]
    i also think that the end of the world might start in Israel, because the Jews have to rebuild the temple of solomon before "the Messiah" comes to save them from all their enemies....  but it isn't this easy... the muslims already built their mosque " el 2ods" on top of the place where Solomon's temple once stood... so the jews are going to destroy the mosque, then the muslims countries, who are getting more and more nuclear weapons, will obviously blow israel of the map....    that is one way the second coming could begin....

and AEM, the Orthodox  and the Catholic Churches will not be united until the Catholics take out the 9 diferences they have from the Orthodox.....    and the Uniting of the Churches is beggining.....  not yet done thou

Can you give me links to all this?? thanks.. the story of the US president offering a sacrifice of a pig etc in Israel, did u hear of that as well?
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6578.msg87337#msg87337 date=1210630663]
    [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6578.msg87333#msg87333 date=1210630442]
    i also think that the end of the world might start in Israel, because the Jews have to rebuild the temple of solomon before "the Messiah" comes to save them from all their enemies....  but it isn't this easy... the muslims already built their mosque " el 2ods" on top of the place where Solomon's temple once stood... so the jews are going to destroy the mosque, then the muslims countries, who are getting more and more nuclear weapons, will obviously blow israel of the map....    that is one way the second coming could begin....

and AEM, the Orthodox  and the Catholic Churches will not be united until the Catholics take out the 9 diferences they have from the Orthodox.....    and the Uniting of the Churches is beggining.....  not yet done thou

Can you give me links to all this?? thanks.. the story of the US president offering a sacrifice of a pig etc in Israel, did u hear of that as well?

that is just one theorie of many that there are on how the end will begin...
  • Please, if you make claims, at least attempt at making them credible by PROVIDING SOURCES. It can be Biblical or political, it does not matter, but provide sources. We can't just throw information out of our mouths - let's see some backup!
  • ...I still think it is fair to conclude that whoever the Anti-Christ is, it will be a U.S. president...and the reason why it was IMPOSSIBLE for Hitler to be the Anti-Christ is because Germany was not a superpower. It was in DEBT from World War I. Our status today as a superpower would make the Anti-Christ the most powerful person in the world (another prophecy fulfilled).
  • [quote author=Severus link=topic=6578.msg87341#msg87341 date=1210631078]
    Please, if you make claims, at least attempt at making them credible by PROVIDING SOURCES. It can be Biblical or political, it does not matter, but provide sources. We can't just throw information out of our mouths - let's see some backup!

OK Severus,

The stuff about Obama does make sense. (Im not saying its him!), but we had this presentation in the grad meeting and someone (VERY LEARNED) explained the coming of the anti-christ and that he will be from the states... He will offer a sacrifice of a pig (which apparently is a HUGE INSULT) to the jews, and then this will start as war.

Its easy to think that I was being sarcastic about Madonna or Britney Spears, but it just seemed like the next logical step for their careers to get involved with the anti-Christ.