Vassula Excommunicated from the Orthodox Church

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

The EO have officially excommunicated Vassula Ryden:

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/03/announcement-on-vassula-ryden-by.html

Comments

• Good news!

As far as I can see my own bishop is the only Coptic bishop to have spoken out publically against this woman and her deception.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11053.msg133446#msg133446 date=1300712016]
    Good news!

As far as I can see my own bishop is the only Coptic bishop to have spoken out publically against this woman and her deception.

lol... everyone is celebrating over this..
  • The most ironic thing is that she has tried so hard to unite the orthodox and catholics, and now she has been excommunicated from the EO and the Catholics don't like her at all.
  • Personally I don't see that she was trying to unite Orthodox and Catholics. She was and is trying to deceive Christians into following her demonic religion and accept the messages she purports to receive each day from our Lord Jesus Christ and various Apostles as being more important than the Scriptures.

I wish that our Church had made a similar statement years ago, but as far as I can see only my own bishop has spoken out.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11053.msg133454#msg133454 date=1300722238]

I wish that our Church had made a similar statement years ago, but as far as I can see only my own bishop has spoken out.

May i just ask which Bishop that would be? Its important to quote our Church leaders.

I got loads of people quoting vassula on certain doctrines and statements, and I would love to give them an official church response.

ITS A HUGE shame all this!!! I was at first glad that she had the intention for Church unity, but as you correctly point out, it seemed that unity was a facade to hide another agenda. Dear o dear!!!
  • What did she do in Egypt?
  • It's even on YouTube. 

I will send you the links.

• can you post the link please?
  • Well, there's this: Vassula in the Coptic Church

I have no idea what is actually going on in this video, but it scares me. I think I'm going to be sick, in fact. I thought this kind of ridiculousness was limited to Protestant praise hour and the debased Roman Catholic "Ordinary Form".  :( Please say it ain't so, Coptic people!
  • [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=11053.msg133467#msg133467 date=1300737568]
    Well, there's this: Vassula in the Coptic Church

I have no idea what is actually going on in this video, but it scares me. I think I'm going to be sick, in fact. I thought this kind of ridiculousness was limited to Protestant praise hour and the debased Roman Catholic "Ordinary Form".  :( Please say it ain't so, Coptic people!

what is happening in our church??? how can the Pope allow that? Doesn't that show acceptance of their beliefs?
  • I never thought I would see the day when the church became
    a karoke center. Guitars??? I just can't wait to see Ioaness' reaction.
    My question is why did Vassula get Excommunicated from the Orthodox Church?
    What did she do? I know she is not a copt... but what did she do?
    Don't tell me that [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11053.msg133454#msg133454 date=1300722238]
    She was and is trying to deceive Christians into following her demonic religion...

Can someone give me like a quote or something?
    I know I don't really know the story but I just want to know why people hate her sooo much?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • Looks like she was invited.  No evidence of trespassing in the video.  Why don't you take it up with the pope.
  • [quote author=MarchMadness link=topic=11053.msg133472#msg133472 date=1300738988]
    Looks like she was invited.  No evidence of trespassing in the video.  Why don't you take it up with the pope.

lol obviously all of them were...i wouldn't say invited but i think "allowed to "praise" there" is better. why didn't the OO churches excommunicate her? It's sad that she was born Greek Orthodox and was excommunicated by the Greek Orthodox and other EO churches
  • [quote author=MarchMadness link=topic=11053.msg133472#msg133472 date=1300738988]
    Looks like she was invited.  No evidence of trespassing in the video.  Why don't you take it up with the pope.

Well, this is what happened, and the reason why I'm glad she has been excommunicated:

She invited herself to the Church, and said that she wanted to pray for unity. She made a mockery and duped our priests with all this.

She's a proxy for charismatic prayer... and that's it.

The reason why she was excommunicated is (well ONE of the reasons) is due to lack of respect to the Church hierarchy and teachings. She has treated the priests/bishops and authority within the church as if they are idiots!!!!!!

It makes my blood boil.

Its like me going to your house saying I want to come and visit you. You tell me: "OK.. welcome" .. I come, I open the fridge, I bring my friends with me, and we don't really talk to you, NOR get to know you. They just USE your house for their own agenda.. .for their own private party.

How many Orthodox AND catholics were deceived by this woman's cult???

Its a disgrace!!! REALLY makes me mad.

• But wait. Don't you only excommunicate those whom you are in communion with? Isn't there a difference between rejecting one's teachings (someone who is Muslim for example)  and excommunicating a heretic from the church (someone who is Orthodox)? How can she be part of the church if she made her own church (TLIG)?
  • She is notionally a Greek Orthodox, and the Ecumenical Patriarch is making it clear that she is nothing to do with the Greek Church and anyone associating with her from the Greek Church is excommunicate.

It is necessary to be very firm because she lies constantly and says that she has been made welcome by all manner of church leaders.

She receives messages from demons pretending to be our Lord and the Saints every day and writes them down, and her followers read these demonic messages and stop reading the Bible. Having guitars in worship is the very least of the issues with this woman and her movement.
  • I really didnt appreaciate ANY of her messages after seeing guitars in the Church.. and clapping..

Its awful.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11053.msg133477#msg133477 date=1300740205]
    She is notionally a Greek Orthodox, and the Ecumenical Patriarch is making it clear that she is nothing to do with the Greek Church and anyone associating with her from the Greek Church is excommunicate.

It is necessary to be very firm because she lies constantly and says that she has been made welcome by all manner of church leaders.

She receives messages from demons pretending to be our Lord and the Saints every day and writes them down, and her followers read these demonic messages and stop reading the Bible. Having guitars in worship is the very least of the issues with this woman and her movement.

If she is so confident that she is receiving messages from God, why does she need to be part of the GOC? Why can't she just make her own denomination?
  • If she is really trying to unite the Roman Catholics and the Orthodox, she's done a very poor job. Apparently the Vatican warns their faithful:

"...the effect of the activities carried out by Mrs Vassula Ryden is negative, this Congregation requests the intervention of the Bishops to adequately inform the faithful, and do not allow use of their dioceses for the dissemination of (Vassula's) ideas." (Source)

Oops!  >:(
  • Sources anybody?
    Cyril
  • [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=11053.msg133481#msg133481 date=1300741385]
    If she is really trying to unite the Roman Catholics and the Orthodox, she's done a very poor job. Apparently the Vatican warns their faithful:

"...the effect of the activities carried out by Mrs Vassula Ryden is negative, this Congregation requests the intervention of the Bishops to adequately inform the faithful, and do not allow use of their dioceses for the dissemination of (Vassula's) ideas." (Source)

So that was in 1995....she finally gets excommunicated 16 years later?
  • Fr Peter,

Which Coptic Bishop addressed the issue of Vassula??
  • I think he said HE Metropolitan Seraphim
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=11053.msg133484#msg133484 date=1300741979]
    [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=11053.msg133481#msg133481 date=1300741385]
    If she is really trying to unite the Roman Catholics and the Orthodox, she's done a very poor job. Apparently the Vatican warns their faithful:

So that was in 1995....she finally gets excommunicated 16 years later?

I don't know what to say to that. I guess so, yes.
  • The comment was from the Catholic church, the excommunication is from the Greek Church. They are different jurisdictions.

What sources do you want? I would not advise anyone to go reading her demonic messages.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11053.msg133488#msg133488 date=1300743355]
    The comment was from the Catholic church, the excommunication is from the Greek Church. They are different jurisdictions.

But still...it was probably pretty evident that she was dangerous and heretical. Look now at her cult 16 years later...
  • There are lots of heretical people, it is only when they impact on Orthodox that it becomes necessary to act. I do not know why the Holy Synod has not made a statement over the last years, but my own bishop has, which has effect for those of us in the BOC.
  • When you are saying that she spreads demonic messages, where are you deducting
    that from? I am not saying she is a saint or even a good person, but why would
    I believe that she is demonic, if I don't even know what she says?
    What did she say or do that makes her "demonic"?
    I am not trying to side but just wondering why is she soo evil?
    What is the reason you believe that Father?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=11053.msg133492#msg133492 date=1300744943]
    When you are saying that she spreads demonic messages, where are you deducting
    that from? I am not saying she is a saint or even a good person, but why would
    I believe that she is demonic, if I don't even know what she says?
    What did she say or do that makes her "demonic"?
    I am not trying to side but just wondering why is she soo evil?
    What is the reason you believe that Father?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril

youtube her and listen to her. you will understand
  • I did and all she seems like is a Catholic or Protestent preacher not much
    different than Joyce Meyer or Charles Price or any other non-orthodox preacher.
    I really don't see anything with her preaching. Can someone point out a specific verse
    or video or quote that she wrote, said, or was "told"?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril