What does the words Adam & Watos Mean?

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi Everyone.

What does the word Adam & Watos Mean? Are these words coptic or Greek?

thanks

Comments

• Adam means Adam the first man.

Watos means a bush.
  • Why do call these terms on different days of the week? what is the relation?
  • [quote author=baladoos link=topic=12192.msg143670#msg143670 date=1314317490]
    Why do call these terms on different days of the week? what is the relation?

Adam is the first word in the Monday theotokia: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/353
    Watos (or pi-watos, the bush) is the first word in the Thursday theotokia: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/471
  • Is this why Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are Adam. & Thursday, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday are Watos?
  • [quote author=baladoos link=topic=12192.msg143682#msg143682 date=1314324342]
    Is this why Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are Adam. & Thursday, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday are Watos?

maybe....i can't really say for sure.
  • [quote author=baladoos link=topic=12192.msg143682#msg143682 date=1314324342]
    Is this why Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are Adam. & Thursday, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday are Watos?

Actually Adam are Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. The remaining days are Watos.

Adam and Watos are just tunes. The Watos tune is longer (7-11 syllables) than the Adam one (4-5 syllables). The verses for the days were written to fit each tune.
  • Just out of curiosity, was there days in Coptic Egypt or did they go by Adam and Watos? For example, was 1 Adam day 3 cycles of the sun and 1 Watos day was 4? Or am I using my imagination too much  ;D
  • Egypt is an agricultural land, they used days, and weeks as we do today, dividing the year into three seasons.
    The church divided the week into Adam and Watos symbolizing any complete time cycle, hence the beginning of life is excited and joyful, and towards the end it's waning and more dull.... in a way... speaking of tunes of course, nothing else... hope that makes sense
    Oujai