Names for kids

edited December 2008 in Youth Corner
Hey people, I was thinking, and i saw a similar post but it was really old. That post focused on Biblical names, how bout any saints names? State your favorite names and give your reasoning.
Boy: Apollo, Macarii Humbleness for both
Girl:Veronica, Rebecca followers of God

Comments

• Abanoub.. because he's my favorite saint? lol.. what do you mean give a reason?
  • [quote author=Dgorgy61 link=topic=7440.msg98299#msg98299 date=1229198678]
    Abanoub.. because he's my favorite saint? lol.. what do you mean give a reason?
    Because he's your favorite saint is a reason.
  • well then that would be everyones reason when giving a name of a saint.. i mean what other reason could one give besides "he/she is my favorite saint"?
  • Like what i have after the names
  • When you have a favorite saint, you talk to them as your interceder and my favorite saint is Saint Mina
  • Youssef, because the name sounds nice and because it reminds me of his ability to forgive and his love and trust in God (OT) and for his obedience and decency (NT)

God bless you
    Please pray for me
  • Anyone else have names that they would like to share?

• [quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7440.msg98299#msg98299 date=1229198678]
    Abanoub.. because he's my favorite saint? lol.. what do you mean give a reason?

Abanoub is my favorite too! :)
  • i was born on the feast of Saint Luke, so my parents gave me the middle name of luke :-D.
  • since we're on this topic...
    i was just wondering why no one names their kid Jesus ?
    i mean, he Is the best of all...
    is it considered "disrespectful" or something?
    cuz, i dont get it...
    Jesus is the Greek form of Joshua...and people name their kid joshua...but not Jesus...hmmm...
  • that is such a good question=]

idk tho

+mahraeel+
  • Many Spanish people name their children Jesus.. although I don't think it's right...

like in the Bible it says that His name is above all other names, that at the name of Jesus all knees should bow...

like Judas, there is St. Jude, but it Arabic, it's the same as Yahooza (Judas), so parents were telling a bishop hat's what they named their children and the bishop told them, you couldn't find any other name?

Philippians 2:9-11 (New King James Version)
    9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
  • Jonathan, Justin, Nickolas, i  just had a brain fart. cant think of anything else lol
  • definetly one would be Mercourious (not sure of the spelling) patron saint
    Nicholas, John, Benjamin, Justin, Julian, Jude, David-they are easy names in Western society and saint names also
    Veronica, Verena, Barbara, Alexandria, Theresa, Theodoara- Same reasoning
  • Jonathan  means gift of God
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=7440.msg98682#msg98682 date=1229906590]
    since we're on this topic...
    i was just wondering why no one names their kid Jesus ?
    i mean, he Is the best of all...
    is it considered "disrespectful" or something?
    cuz, i dont get it...
    Jesus is the Greek form of Joshua...and people name their kid joshua...but not Jesus...hmmm...

Yeah I always wonder the same thing. I don't know why but I find it kind of weird for people to name their kid Jesus. I guess it's because I feel there is only one Jesus - our God.
    Anyways, my dad was telling me that on Dec.25,2008 (Catholic Christmas) a Spanish family had a baby. The wife's name is Mary and the husband's name is Joseph. So they had their baby on their Christmas, and the funny thing is they named him.......Jesus! Again I found it kind of weird but the story is amusing!
  • My favourite name is (and has always been) Joseph. It's because my favourite story in the Bible is that of Joseph. It always inspires me because he went through so much and yet endured, with God's strength of course. I love how he said "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result..." - it always reminds me that everything God does is for a special reason and is good, no matter how small it is.
    Oh yeah and Joseph means "God will increase".

I have another favourite name: Gabriel. I don't know why, I just like it!!!
  • my fav name is john
    my name is john
    and it's short and sweet
    and ... i just like it lol ;D ;D
  • [quote author=godloves link=topic=7440.msg99264#msg99264 date=1231887292]
    my fav name is john
    my name is john
    and it's short and sweet
    and ... i just like it lol ;D ;D

Me too =) John means "God is Compassionate"

I like the name Uriel  not sure how to really spell it but it means " Gods light shines on us"  or in us. too bad not many Egyptians use it =(
  • for boys i like Luke, Andrew, John is alright haha. For girls Faith, Grace those are western but they're still nice
  • We called our children - Hannah, Eleanor, Katherine and Callum. They are all named after saints - Anna, Helena, Katherine and Columba.

When I was growing up I always wanted to be called James, and I considered myself lucky that my parents didn't stick with their first option for me which was Colin.

In Christ

Father Peter
  • Boy: Mark, Maximos, Baisilious, Enoch, Nicodemus, Melchizedek, Theodore, Leontius, Panikarus, Mercurius, Claudius, Sergius, Cosmas, Julius, Sarapamon, Psate, Gallinikos, Arsenius, i can keep going but im tired....

Girl: Theoclia, Demiana, Veronica,

-Reason: i was in tasbeha one night and i thought these names were pretty cool
  • I wanted to call my future daughter, Nikita  ;D I just found out that theres a saint with this name, so my decision is made. As for my sons, dont know yet. still got a long time to think about itt lol.

• Christina- follower of Christ

or Marina cause shes my favourite saint and im named after her:)

Verena i like it

Michael although the name is soo widely used

Parthenea coming from Parthenos i thought it was really cool!!
    mm i cant think of anything else..
    God bless
    -marina
  • hmm...there is a street nearby called nikita :D haha..interestingg..

uhmmm...
    the name Mary means bitter...i just wanted to throw that out there...i thought it was very strange that such a pretty name would mean...bitter.
  • Why has no one said Matthew :P

I always love hearing the meaning behind the name, really does add depth. I've always been a fan of the name Daniel, because I love that book of the Old Testament. I've always loved the name Rachel for a girl too. 10 points to anyone who knows the meaning of any of these names :P
  • I know Daniel means God is my judge ;D I'm not sure about the others though without looking them up.
  • The Christ arose Himself

Bishoy= Lofty or "higher level"

Michael= God like... or close to God

LOL wow... my name in a way is a blasphemy LOL

Truly He arose Himself...

neshkor Allah... akhadna el baraka!
  • Athanasius

because he was an amazing person who stood against the world in the teachings of the church

or some of the other amazing church fathers like

Anthony
    Macarius
    Arsenius
    Cyril
    Isidore
    Dioscorus