Names for kids

13»

Comments

• [quote author=user00 link=topic=7440.msg131683#msg131683 date=1298772964]
    I love the story of Anba Arsanious personally, he was the son of the Emperor and forsook all his wealthy and luxury to live an austere life in the desert, If you all have time, his story is most definitely worth reading also!

St. Arsanious wasn't the son of the Emperor himself, he was the teacher of the sons of Emperor Theodosius I, Arcadius and Honorius.
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=7440.msg131684#msg131684 date=1298775498]
    [quote author=user00 link=topic=7440.msg131683#msg131683 date=1298772964]
    I love the story of Anba Arsanious personally, he was the son of the Emperor and forsook all his wealthy and luxury to live an austere life in the desert, If you all have time, his story is most definitely worth reading also!

St. Arsanious wasn't the son of the Emperor himself, he was the teacher of the sons of Emperor Theodosius I, Arcadius and Honorius.

I'm sorry you're right. What make me lapse was remembering one of the favorite sayings from the famous book "Sayings of the Desert Fathers:" (pg 16-17) quote 35 under Abba Arsenius
    "It was said of Abba Arsenius that once when he was ill at Scetis, the priest came to take him to church and put him on a bed with a small pillow under his head. Now behold an old man who was coming to see him, saw him lying on a bed with a little pillow under his head and he was shocked and said, 'Is this really Abba Arsenius, this man lying down like this?' Then the priest took him aside and said to him, 'In the village where you lived, what was your trade?' 'I was a shepherd,' he replied. 'And how did you live?' 'I had a very hard life.' The priest said, 'And how do you live in your cell now?' The other replied, 'I am more comfortable.' Then he said to him, 'Do you see this Abba Arsenius? When he was in the world, he was the father of the emperor, surrounded by thousands of slaves with golden girdles, all wearing collars of gold and garments of silk.  Beneath him were spread rich coverings. While you were in the world as a shepherd you did not enjoy even the comforts you now have but he no longer enjoys the delicate life he led in the world. So you are comforted while he is afflicted.' At these words the old man was filled with compunction and prostrated himself saying, 'Father, forgive me, for I have sinned. Truly the way this man follows is the way of truth, for it leads to humiltiy, while mine leads to comfort.' So the old man withdrew, edified."
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=7440.msg131683#msg131683 date=1298772964]

I love Anba Arsanious too. Since its my family name, and I get to be in classrooms teaching, I'm totally gonna tell his story whenever I introduce myself to a new class ^^ and then tell them I'm gonna punch them if they pronounce his name wrong. lol