What is happening in Egypt?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I have been hearing lots of weired things going on in Egypt.... that a kilogram of meat is like 70 E.L.  etc...  please add to wat else is happening there....................      and why is all this happening....  people killing each other infront of the bakery just for bread, that is how everybody is living....  and plz Pray for Egypt? 

Mobarak Sha3by Masr.... is wat the Bible said... but that is aparently not what is happening now a days.... is this a sign from God?

Plz Pray for our Brertheren in Egypt

God Bless

Coptic Pharaoh

Comments

• I haven't heard this before, nor have i ever seen such a site that people kill for bread in egypt. I know that there are needy people there but not to that extreme. I don't know who's telling you this stuff but you should get your facts straight with real sources
  • Honestly i heard that some meat sellers were selling donkey meat and dog meat to the people.

I Heard this from my parents who heard from my uncle in Egypt.

God Bless
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6439.msg85026#msg85026 date=1207194608]
    I haven't heard this before,

well.. that is probably because u r living in another country.. lke the U.S , Canada, or Australia or any other country outside of Egypt....  and I am not making this up
  • The Government removed major subsidies for food products, especially grain products.  Everything within the food chain (and economic systems) that subsists on grain has skyrocketted not just because of the pure economics but also relative to the hysteria that happens.  This has caused a massive economic inflationary effect.

The Government wanted to back away from a general subsiy program and supposedly to focus on giving subsidies to specific applicants, which is a crock, because it is simply another way to exlude the care to Christians as citizens within Egypt.  So much for equality in the country.  Just another form of discrimination.

I am amazed at how little is being done and to organize for aid to our people in Egypt--not just for the recent events but over the course of the last two decades.

If you tie in all of the ridiculous threads about cellular phones and a lot of materialistic interludes, I am horrified about the lack of sensitivity to the poverty level in Egypt.  Teenagers are actually pondering the trauma of when to use their cellular phones, what clothes to wear in church, what constitutes a pair of jeans that can be worn in church, whether shorts should be worn, and there are people in Egypt who have not tasted meat in months.  People are leaving the Faith because of economic hardship and islamizing.

I have read the fiery remarks to these topics noted in the previous paragraph, but I just do not see the concern for our People in Egypt.  They cry out from their hunger in so many regards, and their brothers in the Diaspora are essentially oblivious.  Only God hears their cry and the few that care about them through the bounty of their Christian being.  The majority of the immigrants in the Diaspora are just a bunch of spoiled little obnoxious brats with money stuffed down their throats, so that gluttony contained, keeps their senses from hearing that cry or carrying out the Commandment of Our Lord to care for the poor.

If these statements seem nasty, let me be clear:  they were meant to be so.
  • I didn't say you were making it up I'm just saying you may be misinformed of what's happening. I have family in Egypt aswell and they haven't told us anything like that of course I may be wrong but I would like a source first. The people in Egypt have always been in bad shape and I've seen it with my own eyes and its truley heartbreaking. But I would not believe that the Christians are killing each other over bread. God help his people in egypt.
  • i agree wirth every thing that u said.. especialy about those spoiled brats with ,lots of money.... i hate to see people thow out food... especially that know there is pretty much a famine in Egypt...

and it very weired that lots and tons of Egyptians outside of Egypt don't even know what is happening in Egypt.....  
    than how do we expect the outside goverments to provide aid?

God Help Them
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6439.msg85033#msg85033 date=1207196968]
    But I would not believe that the Christians are killing each other over bread. God help his people in egypt.

i never said it was christians that were killing each other
  • I just saw a group on Facebook that was organising a strike in Egypt on April 6th.. dunno if it is true or not... bas Rabena Yostor
  • Dear jydeacon and all,
    Yes, all what copticpharaoh said is true. I have a family in Egypt as well, in Cairo, and they told me all of these things. Christians don't kill each other for bread; it is the people in general. Very nice what ilovesaintmark pointed out; true in every sense.
    God bless us all - pray for us a lot
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6439.msg85032#msg85032 date=1207196539]
    If you tie in all of the ridiculous threads about cellular phones and a lot of materialistic interludes, I am horrified about the lack of sensitivity to the poverty level in Egypt.  Teenagers are actually pondering the trauma of when to use their cellular phones, what clothes to wear in church, what constitutes a pair of jeans that can be worn in church, whether shorts should be worn, and there are people in Egypt who have not tasted meat in months.  People are leaving the Faith because of economic hardship and islamizing.

Not eating meat is just as trivial. I havn't eaten meat in almost two years... and I'm still alive an well.?

The problem in Egypt is the corruption that occurs within, the out of control atmosphere that people seem to live in, the lack of love in general society and 'the survival of the fittest' struggle. The problem is not really people concerting to Islam either, though that is a worry.. The bigger problem is that you cannot really draw a line to seperate the behaviour of Muslims and Christians. It seems to me that every single person is trying to get an advantage over the other, in order to rise higher, and have the power to look down upon others. This is what occurs in the middle and higher classes, or to be more accurate, anyone who can afford to eat.

Personally, I think the poor people are better off. They seem to be simpler than most and have this amazing peace about them... and yes, it may very well be because they haven't tasted meat in months...

This really makes me appreciate what it means to live in a country where everyday life is an overcomable obstacle..

+God Bless.
  • Actually everyone, This is very true. Prices are sky rocketing for bread. A police officer in alexandria a few days ago saw a man walkking out of a bakery with bread and asked the man to give the bread to him. After the man refused, The officer shot the man to death and took the bread. Pretty sad.
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6439.msg85039#msg85039 date=1207201675]
    I just saw a group on Facebook that was organising a strike in Egypt on April 6th.. dunno if it is true or not... bas Rabena Yostor

This is true and the army is prepared to take any necessary action toward that. Of course mostly the Christians are the ones who are going to suffer. May God be with them and help them.
    P.S. if we can organize a day ASAP were everyone pray at the same time from his own home for them that will be great. Ex Friday at 10.00 pm. Let me know what do you guys think.

• Christians ARE NOT the only people who suffer.

EVERYONE is equally affected by the problem, as both Christians and Muslims hold generally the same positions as teachers, grocery store owners, and so on. Everyone is suffering except those that have high positions in government or have large businesses.

ilovesaintmark, your comments about the Copts in the Diaspora are disconcerting to say the least. If these "spoiled little obnoxious brats with money stuffed down their throats" are our future, then what will we do? Where will we get new generations of Clergy, or strong laypeople to support the churches? Surely, this is some very rash stereotyping. And if not, then dare I say that we are hypocrites if we say such things, because all of the Egyptian immigrants that I know work hard and are hardly 'spoiled'.

Again, if it applies to one Egyptian immigrant family, then it generally applies to all.

As for the comments about the cellphones and clothes, they are simply youth living in the world. We are in America, after all, the MOST materialistic country in the world. We all fall into the trap of materialism; it is a product of living here. It is something that is unavoidable. They will mature, some faster than others, and will eventually see past such things.

I too have heard stories about the horrors in Egypt. There was a television program on the other day that described all the things that all of you have mentioned. All we can do is pray for them, as well as pray for the previously mentioned youth.
  • yeah, our AMERICAN newspaper had a picture of egyptians fighting for bread...FRONT COVER. when we saw we were very depressed. Everyone in egypt says that the corrption is getting worse and the economy is going crazy, a couple of people expect a civil war to break out as well. so sad sad sad stuff :(
    we should be praying for everyone in egypt and all third world countries everyday really.
    they're really suffering.
    and in the US..there is approximately 4
  • Severus, Hizz_Child,

Let's do some math, to underscore my perspective on the "cheap aspect" in regard to financial obligation to the Church and the poor.

Let us say there is a church with 500 families (not 500 individuals), and they have a modest median annual income of $30,000.  If we tithe that amount (10%), we would have theoretically an operating budget of:
    500 families X $30,000 X 10% = $1.5 million.

If we were to pool and extrapolate that to the overall dioceses in the Diaspora, we would have a lot of money.

That's quite an operating budget, yet I do not know of churches that size with budgets that would follow.  Hence, it reinforces, sadly, the gluttonous, disgusting, and irresponsible aspect of our people across the board.  They do not feel their responsibility to their Church, their God, and the poor.

Naturally, there is a small minority carrying the load.

As for the comments about the cellphones and clothes, they are simply youth living in the world. We are in America, after all, the MOST materialistic country in the world. We all fall into the trap of materialism; it is a product of living here. It is something that is unavoidable. They will mature, some faster than others, and will eventually see past such things.

My comments are to be specific that it is not relative to the immaturity of the teenagers but it is an endemic issue to the Community as a whole.

Not eating meat is just as trivial.

I find that statement insulting and outside the realm of the spirit of our Christianity, and specifically the mandate of the Season of Great Lent for:  prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.

I was specifically talking about access to meat.  It is your choice not to eat meat, for the poor in Egypt they are DEPRIVED.  This includes meat, meat products, dairy, and poultry.  Last I recall from high school biology, growing children need all of the above for proper growth.  Your comment is quite crass and insensitive to the poor.  My comment is simple:  they (the poor) are not looking for gold at $1000 per ounce, just meaningful food.

I REPEAT AND WILL NOT RETRACT:

am amazed at how little is being done and to organize for aid to our people in Egypt--not just for the recent events but over the course of the last two decades.

If you tie in all of the ridiculous threads about cellular phones and a lot of materialistic interludes, I am horrified about the lack of sensitivity to the poverty level in Egypt.  Teenagers are actually pondering the trauma of when to use their cellular phones, what clothes to wear in church, what constitutes a pair of jeans that can be worn in church, whether shorts should be worn, and there are people in Egypt who have not tasted meat in months.  People are leaving the Faith because of economic hardship and islamizing.

I have read the fiery remarks to these topics noted in the previous paragraph, but I just do not see the concern for our People in Egypt.  They cry out from their hunger in so many regards, and their brothers in the Diaspora are essentially oblivious.  Only God hears their cry and the few that care about them through the bounty of their Christian being.  The majority of the immigrants in the Diaspora are just a bunch of spoiled little obnoxious brats with money stuffed down their throats, so that gluttony contained, keeps their senses from hearing that cry or carrying out the Commandment of Our Lord to care for the poor.

If these statements seem nasty, let me be clear:  they were meant to be so.

As for the Islamic portion in Egyptian Society, they have many more resources and access to resources beyond the Coptic Christians.  They have "more equality" entrusted to them than us.

The issue is multifold and not just the corruption aspect, the subsidies by the government were removed which is what has made things even more dreadful and painful.

Look at the economics--that means take out your calculators and do the math if arithmetic has passed by.

The same theme keeps coming up but in different ways!
  • Corruption, corruption and more coruption. It seems we can't get away form it. It even attacks those who assume that they are close to god. just keep praying that everything will be sorted as quickly as possible.
  • Today is the 6th of April....  it is 12: 40 a.m.  do u think there will be a general strike like it said?....  i think right now is too early to find out (12:40) in Canada....
  • We should all take the liberty as copticcross3 has said and pray for them..they are in desperation and it's probably only gonna get worse, so why can't we just remember the society and the economy they are living in and pray for them, yes their economy is corrupt and what not..and the society is horrible and just trying to bring itself back up to it's standards, but what can we do besides leave it in the hands of God, nothing..!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Coptic Pharaoh,

FYI, the media in the USA is reporting that the strikes are on and there has been violence.  The Egyptian Government is trying to contain.

Prayer is thoughtfully and absolutely needed, but these situations also remind us that we have a financial and moral responsibility to our brethren in Egypt.
  • well... i just checked thenews.. it said that the strike didn't work as planed....  cause the goverment threatened to take "frim action" etc...
  • According to the BBC News & other Arabic sites, the strike did happen in Mahalla al-Kubra but not in Cairo. This is because the government has warned that any one who will take that day off will be fired on the spot, even schools remained open under the full responsibility of the government.
    However in Mahall al- kubra and I quote: "At least 50 people were arrested, officials said. Witnesses said more than 100 people were injured in the textile town, Reuters news agency reported."
    Here is the site: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7332929.stm
    This is the Arabic site that contains a clip for those who are interested
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/arabic/middle_east_news/newsid_7333000/7333860.stm
    Please pray for them
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6439.msg85045#msg85045 date=1207224601]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6439.msg85032#msg85032 date=1207196539]

Not eating meat is just as trivial. I havn't eaten meat in almost two years... and I'm still alive an well.?

+God Bless.

ok yes u r alive and well but it was YOUR CHOICE and you chose to not eat meat..people do not have the choice of getting 'what they like'.
    but hey, its not just about meat. ALL TYPES OF FOOD even foule beans are £6 per KG! say people who are middle class and upper class can afford but what about people who earn very small amounts of money?

the problem why a lot of people outside egypt cannot realise the seriousness of the poverty in egypt is because egypt was supposed to be a country rich in resources but since the government is corrupt, very few people have managed to collect all the money and the rest of 90% of the population starve to death!!!

i do not even think i have the right to argue about the poverty and inflation because i do not live in egypt anymore..so how come you people from other countries are discussing whether u can survive without meat...we should wonder about how most of them are surviving at the very moment on the very basic life that most of them are living right now!

i am really angry for what is happening..i know if i stayed in egypt i would have had a very low kinda life..im grateful i am ok but i know people like me are still suffering...mobile phones...talk about people who don't have a toilet in their 'hut' or whatever you wanna call it.
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6439.msg85190#msg85190 date=1207519878]
    well... i just checked thenews.. it said that the strike didn't work as planed....  cause the goverment threatened to take "frim action" etc...

people are scared of course..you think they can take in another price rise or threat from this merciless government????? they just wanna live simple and stay 'gamb el 7ait' if they even held a strike for a whole month whats the government gonna do????? will they say ohh dear the people are upset lets give out some money to make them happy????
  • well... the problem is..if they "try" to overthrow the goverment..they don't know who will takeover... it might end up being an islamic extrimists goverment....
  • yeah could do..
  • JG,

Nice link.  It is quite an expose, however, it does not change any of my postings in this thread.  I think I was quite expressive of my thoughts, although others seemed to trivialize the situation at hand.

Our people in the diaspora are living in gluttony in all its forms, and there is no substantive aid to the poor and the starving in Egypt.  That is a fact.  It is a reality.  All the efforts that have been carried out thusfar are not even a drop in the bucket.  It is shameful and disgusting.
  • Thanks for your reply ilovesaintmark, and the compliment - I would be very curious to hear your solutions? And everyone elses?

pray for me

joe
  • JG,

I do not mean to give a sharp reply to you.  My comments are directed at the trivializers who have posted previously, and who discount the gluttonous nature that our people have adopted in the diaspora.

I believe it an absolute necessity for our own souls to carry forward with our responsibility to God, which is inclusive of the financial; to be specific--the tithes.  As I gave you in a previous post in this thread, people are just plain cheap with the gifts that God has given them.  Teenagers seem to think that they are exempt from this because they are kids.  Do teenagers get exempt from their cellular phone bills, buying food at a fast food establishment, going to get their nails done, etc?

Those comments also go for the adults.

People have to be more involved.  That includes, when going to Egypt, to make time even a few hours to visit an impoverished area, for accomplishing several factors:  a) a visual reminder of what poverty is; b) smiling at the poor in terms of reminding them that they are not forgotten brethren; c) to appreciate one's one existence; d) show mercy and love which is a commandment from Our Lord.

I think there has to be meaningful symposia on the issue.  Documentaries to be made as well as lobbying of the different western governments for recognition and aid.

Thoughtful and spiritual prayer.

Ultimately there has to be a movement of the heart to appreciate that there are brethren to us and Our Lord, who are starving and dying because of poverty.  If one can not make that as an initial and absolute understanding then the conscience of one's being will not be moved towards helping the Friends of Our Lord.

Our People have a lot of words and are cheap with their money--that has been the bottom line.

N.B.:  Please see my previous posts and calculations in this given thread.