What is happening in Egypt?

2»

Comments

• I'm with you 100% and I didn't mean for you to imply that I am offended because I'm not. All of your points seem to want a mass movement against this poverty (except prayer) - and I'm with you on that. But on a personal level......what can be done, except visiting a por area (e.g. Sharabiya, Shobra, Elaryaf)?

pray for me

joe
  • Money, donations, money, and donations!  With specific earmarks for the poor.

As an example, I give a check for the general fund of the church, and I will give another separate check with the label at the bottom for:  "The Brethren of Our Lord in Egypt".

I look for activities for different groups and donate to them directly, such as:  "BLESS USA", EACA, etc.

It really comes down to somebody opening their hearts and wallets.  It is also a testament to Our God as a thanksgiving for the things we have been blessed in abundance.

Personally, when I go to the cafeteria, I cannot get something for myself only.  I cannot stand my co-workers looking at me as I enjoy a frozen yogurt, I like to bring back something for them to snack on also.  This is also a means of showing charity and establishing good contacts with our fellow man.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6439.msg86478#msg86478 date=1209579486]
    Money, donations, money, and donations!  With specific earmarks for the poor.

Personally, when I go to the cafeteria, I cannot get something for myself only.  I cannot stand my co-workers looking at me as I enjoy a frozen yogurt, I like to bring back something for them to snack on also.  This is also a means of showing charity and establishing good contacts with our fellow man.

what do u mean like cant your co-workers afford to get something for themselves? i mean are they poor people or just normal?
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=6439.msg86481#msg86481 date=1209580876]
    what do u mean like cant your co-workers afford to get something for themselves? i mean are they poor people or just normal?

Monica, thats besides the point- the wealth is irrelevant - its about relationships and showing love.

pray for me

joe
  • Thank you for the reply on my behalf, JG.
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6439.msg86483#msg86483 date=1209581160]
    [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=6439.msg86481#msg86481 date=1209580876]

Monica, thats besides the point- the wealth is irrelevant - its about relationships and showing love.

pray for me

joe

ok, but i dont have that extra money to go around spending on my mates when they dont even need it..in fact..thank god, but i have just enough money to care for myself actually.
  • The purpose of the example was to be able to extrapolate that we should always be looking to share even on a local level.  These practices allow us to think on the simple level and the grander level.

My father gave me as an example never to eat in front of anyone without sharing with them in some form, and relative to your abilities.  If you have a banana, and not two, offer a piece.  You never know who is starving and in need of mercy--despite appearances at work.  Relative to the credit crisis, and gasoline prices, there are now a lot of people that are feeling the "pinch" of economic downfall.

I would challenge that there is always room and finances to share with others.  It is a matter of what a person labels as a priority.

I repeat the overall majority of the Coptic Diaspora has been very cheap in dealing with God, being specific their responsibilities to His Church and His Brethren--the poor.
  • ok since you sound you can be helpful on this which has just happened to me today:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=6536.0

• mnc_hnn,

I read the particular link to the given thread and I belive coptic pharaoh answered quite well.  You have to apply logic to the situation and be able to appreciate a scam.

By being charitable, it does not mean being open to the wind with your money.
  • ok ok..thanks guys :D i've been kinda stupid i guess.
    God Bless
  • No probs, I too was unclear.
  • something thati know most can do is..
    pt together a bag of all the clothes you dont use anymore !!!
    instead of warming your coset thye could be warming someone that needs it.
    and whenever someone you know is heading to egypt, tell them to just drop it off at the churchh !!
  • Another good thing to do is every time you break a dollar and get change back whatever it is put it in a piggie bank or whatever that is seperated that you don't touch and just keep adding to it everyday. It may seem like nothing but it really adds up to a good amount in six months or soo and next time you go to egypt or next time somebody you know is going to egypt you can send the money with them to give to the poor. It really helps them
  • Thanks guys, excellent plans  ;)
  • My 2 cents:

Maybe the churches outside of Egypt can have a fund-raiser specifically to send to Egypt.  But that would be just a one-time or once-in-a-while event.  Maybe instead we can have a donation box put on the same table where we go and get food after church.  So that whenever we get some food at church we remember our brothers and sisters.  Some churches sell the food, others just put a donation box, but this would be a dedicated donation box/basket for Egypt (perhaps labelled), so that we can give to God on a weekly basis.

Another thing: We should sing the midnight praises - tasbeha - more fervently; Inflation is one of the things we ask God to save us from.  But I'm sure that alot of you already sing it fervently; after all this is tasbeha.org :)  I'm just encouraging more & more of us to sing it; with thanksgiving, praises, glorification, and request for mercy, forgiveness, intercessions, prayers, protection, help ...

thanks.
  • Acopt that was absolute quality....

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=acopt link=topic=6439.msg86966#msg86966 date=1210230642]
    My 2 cents:

Maybe the churches outside of Egypt can have a fund-raiser specifically to send to Egypt.  But that would be just a one-time or once-in-a-while event.  Maybe instead we can have a donation box put on the same table where we go and get food after church.  So that whenever we get some food at church we remember our brothers and sisters.  Some churches sell the food, others just put a donation box, but this would be a dedicated donation box/basket for Egypt (perhaps labelled), so that we can give to God on a weekly basis.

Another thing: We should sing the midnight praises - tasbeha - more fervently; Inflation is one of the things we ask God to save us from.  But I'm sure that alot of you already sing it fervently; after all this is tasbeha.org :)  I'm just encouraging more & more of us to sing it; with thanksgiving, praises, glorification, and request for mercy, forgiveness, intercessions, prayers, protection, help ...

thanks.

nice..
    but i just had something to say..
    i don't realyl understand why churches put the random donation boxs (like by the food, candles...ect.) because...people do realize whatever money they put in there...if it's a good sum, they know it..andn they just subtract it out of their normal payment to the church...and if it's something small ...then well ...my post is pointless..but yeahh...
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6439.msg87792#msg87792 date=1210880543]
    They think that us the copts living in foreign countries (aqbaat el mahgar) don't really care about Egypt... How dare they even think that???

It's our beloved country and we will never forget it, Egypt is always in our prayers...
    Our Lord said: Blessed be Egypt my people         what else do we need??

they think this way because many, many Copts that live out of Egypt are richer types of people, even if you are not rich in your own eyes, compared to the people back in Egypt you are rich...  (ex. 1 egyptian pound= $6??? ) so even if you are considered poor in like america, or Canada, or Australia, ... if u make like 1000 or 2500 dollars a month and you switch it to Egyptian Pounds, u would have 5000 E.P. or more A MONTH....    and then the people in Egypt are starving.....  they automatically think that if they don't have enough money to survive, and they aren't getting aid but people outside of Egypt are getting lots of money ( compared to ppl in Egypt) they think that we forgot about them because no money reaches them, so they think that nobody donated or what ever....   

this is a theory by me.................... plz tell me if it is plain stupid or dosn't make sence or if it is confusing.. etc..
  • No it's not stupid at all. But what I meant is that there's more to it than just money.
    It's political also. Many egyptians accuse copts of supporting american foreign policy which hasn't been receiving such good responses lately...

God bless
  • I can't talk politics at all.....
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6439.msg87792#msg87792 date=1210880543]
    Guys although I've been living in Europe for 8 years I still visit Egypt a lot and know what's going on there. The problem is that when we, the Copts living in the western world, try to help our brothers in Egypt by sending them money, or by any political means, we sometimes end up hurting them more. Many egyptians accuse the church of working against the government and being corrupt. Some go as far as to say that we receive aid from the US in order for them to gain more power in Egypt.
    I know it sounds absurd, but whenever 'western' (especially american) copts raise their voices, people get angry at egyptian copts and think that they support america politically and that america supports them financially.
    They think that us the copts living in foreign countries (aqbaat el mahgar) don't really care about Egypt... How dare they even think that???

It's our beloved country and we will never forget it, Egypt is always in our prayers...
    Our Lord said: Blessed be Egypt my people         what else do we need??

egyptians (no copts) LOVE making up problems...they'd criticise almost anything chirstians do...typical 
  • i take it you mean muslims when you said "egyptians (no cpts) you meant muslims.... if they weren't there, than none of us would be as close to God as we are right now, if we weren't persecuted, than we wouldn't go to Church...(perfect example in Europe and north america, you walk into any Church(protestant and Catholic) you will find almost all old people, and teens that don't even want to be there)

so we have to ThankGod for those muslims who criticise everything we do and persecute us, because that is THE ONLY WAY we would stay close to God
  • Hey coptic pharaoh, I agree with what you said, although I think it's a bit extreme to say that muslims are the reason for our strong faith. But I would say that the persecution we have to deal with with SOME muslims, NOT ALL reminds us that we are not from the world and that worldly things shouldn't be of importance for us. It also reminds us of how dependant we are on God, and how lost we would be without Him and His blessings on our church. Because in our weakness and inability to face the enemy, His strength is shown. Anyways I thank the Lord for our beautiful country Egypt, with it's good sides and bad because we now that when we love God, all things (good and bad) work together for good for us.

Please Pray for my weakness
    God Bless