Sports

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
What I think we can do is pick a sport and say is it negative or positive against our christianity, I'll start

[glow=red,2,300]Cheerleading[/glow]

I think that's negative because, I think it's horrible girls and showing there body to people!

Comments

• I think basketball can go positively and negitively. The positive thing is that the players can get to know each other and go to chuuch together or youth meetings. But negitively the players can grow and not like each. Here on the west coast we have a coptic league and each chuuch has their only team. A person from this chuuch can start having problems with this person and this is not right. And alot of cursing is always going on during these games and practrices from my expierence. It can also take time away from spending time with God. That's just what I think. :D
  • i don't think all sports poeple have to show thier bodies and stuff like that for example baskerball and cheerleaders they only show thier legs ant thier whole body and if you guys thought about it in normal life almost all the girls wear short shorts!!if there is anything wrong please correct!!!
  • i think there is nothing rong with any of the sports, its the people tha tpick to have their bodies shown off in the sport.... like if u know that the cheerleading uniforms r to revieling then dont join
    Get what i am tryin to say?
  • that was close to what i was talking about!!! :D
  • so in the carpool for this church team (this is my own church, not sure about other churches, prolly the same) they play araf music with cursing and everything.. actually, I myself, love basketball a lot, its my favorite sport, and the only one I play outta gym, but if its attacking me spiritually its not worth it, I can play at come, or train and join my school team.. but after confession tonight I decided two things, I will tell Abouna (i'm gunna try and make it anonymous) and I will quit playing with the church team after this season is over...
    so u see, u gotta put God first in ur life...

Hey MarMar91,

You are absolutely right that you have to put God first in ur life. But God also put u in a position to possibly help ur teammates out. Speak up in practice and tell them that its a church league and that cursing shouldn't be allowed. I'm a coach for one of the churches in the high school boys league in the east coast and when someone curses in practice they have to leave, if someone curses in a game they sit the bench. So don't quit, be a light to the world, start by changing ur team.....speak up in practice or tell ur coaches that cursing should be punished. As for music, say something along the lines of, lets play something (alhan, tasbeha, or music with no cursing) that will keep God in our hearts before and during the games. Trust me, it doesnt seem powerful but it will make a difference.

Good luck

• [quote author=Coptic Servent link=board=13;threadid=2290;start=0#msg34747 date=1123897643]

[glow=red,2,300]Cheerleading[/glow]

AHAHAH, American Sport....lol.
  • hey Marmar91,

i guess try having team meetings, talk to your coaches, and abouna. Even if they stop listening to music with curses in the car ride thats progress. but u never know, u could have a lasting impact on them if you keep trying.

Hope everything works out......and don't make this something that would make you quit playing basketball for your church.
  • marmar, i have but one thing to say to say to you about ur fear:

I can do all things through christ who strengthens me.

i know what ur thinking easier said than done, but u have to stand up and show them what u are made of!!!!!!!!! lol

GBU and pray 4 me!

laura
  • here is a story MarMar you can think about

when I was in the 7th grade a girl was bullying me, well, she was swearing at me and such, she didn't hurt me though, well, she would swear at me and talk about me and gossip, and such so one day she came up to me and said we need to talk and I had a class right then, so I told her not now I need to go to class, bye bye, I stood up to her so she didn't come close to me for the rest of the season! see MarMar stand up to them, who cares if there a different gender just stand up to them, God be with you!
  • [quote author=EgyptianCopt88 link=board=13;threadid=2290;start=0#msg34752 date=1123903818]
    I think basketball can go positively and negitively

well ive got 2 say basket ball is a great sport but when u say ur points about the negitive side isnt about basketball it has nothing 2 do with the sport same with soccer same with all other sports ne1 can hav a disagreement with some1 else but it neva has nothing 2 do with the soprt
  • baseball i think is soo positive. they wear things that keep them from temptaions. and maybe their is always the music but its never bad. they play that one song,

for \football both ways... no halftime show its ok and all halftime shows arent always good like 2 years ago on the superbowl was so horrible