marriage from different religion!

Comments

• I agree sandra, some people will convert just to get married.

For me, my father is Coptic Orthodox and my mother is Presbytarian (my mother's father went to a German school in Egypt, so my mom was raised in the Presbytarian chruch). And growing up with two churches was wonderful. My mom went to her church and my dad went to his and I would go to either one I wanted, the same for my brothers. I feel like I was able to learn and be exposed to both churches. With that knowledge I felt like I could choose the church which my belives most closely followed. Yes sometimes I got a little confused. In particular, my abuna would ask me not to go to the Presbytarian church because he looked down upon it. And obviously the Presbytarian church was more common (to Americans). So attending both churches was hard at first but because my parents supported me and did not care which church I chose I have benefitted.
  • that was wonderful...it kinda confussing between the 2 churches and i am pretty sure there are alot of staff different between the both of them but my advice to you and it will be up to you iether take or not:
    -------------<choose one church only to go to>--------------

pray for me!
  • u can also reseive that type of knowledge from research

my parents told me if i wanted to do something that i felt was benificial to my spiritual life, i should do it. this ment i could convert to another religion. so i did research and the coptic church has no comparisson. it has not changed, it has not faultered, it has instead changed the world and made it better. i feel it will continue to do so
    my advice. if u wanna marry someone who is not orthodox, but they want to become orthodox so u can get married, then that person who is not orthodox should talk to a priest or a bishop, this might make them want to not only convert to get married, but also to get closer to god. thats just my advice

God Bless us all
  • cool 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
  • i think marriage from different religion is absouletly wrong!!!!
  • i though that at first as you see!
  • hey i have a question how would want to marry someone with different religon as you??? i mean you do not want to be far away from god. you want to be closer to him!!!!! and if someone you care about is more impotant then to be closer to god, then that is just not right!!!! ;D that is just my opoion!
  • some people don't really care...and that is what i a talking about!
  • I cannot even conceivably imagine marrying someone who is not of my faith. On what basis would I have anything in common with such a person, the cornerstone of every good marriage? I wouldn't even be able to talk to such a person because there would be nothing to talk about! What am I going to talk about with her? Krishna? Allah? The Baha'ullah? Billy Graham?

And how could I bear spending the majority of my life with someone who I know is going to hell? What lack of pity such a thing would require!

I personally feel that un-Christian girls are really annoying....so how could I marry one?
  • lol....that sounds funny but some people does!!i have an example!
  • i still think that you should not even marry anyone with a different religon. :D
  • personally

i think that if u r orthodox u shouldn't convert out, they should convert to orthodoxy.

just my opinion
  • just think of it guys you will have a lot of problems!!!! like going to church or think of what might happen to your children!!! :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
  • as long as you keep your faith in god and pray for his help he will help you. have faith in[coptic][/coptic]Iycoc
  • [quote author=chiefofsinners link=board=13;threadid=1820;start=30#msg28632 date=1118886448]
    personally

i think that if u r orthodox u shouldn't convert out, they should convert to orthodoxy.

just my opinion

i agree whole-heartedly
  • i totally agree with that!!!but i can't imagen it what are you going to talk about?is your wedding going to be at church?or what ever else?what is going to be your children's religion?alot of questions will be asked@that question!!!
  • that is a good point sandra!!! think about it this way... what is it going to be????
  • i think it is not right althought the other person can be christian also but also what is your children's religion going to be??????????it needs an answer!!
  • wont that be the childrens desision because it is their faith
  • yeah that is also true!!!!!
  • but ofcource the parents will get in the problems because it isn't just one it is alot!!!!
  • i know a family with two children one in 7th grade and one in college. The mom is muslim and the dad is catholic it is a little off topic but i asked their religion and they said they will choose when they grow up. for now, they dont go to church or muslim places so its probably the same for multiple children
  • Well my friends - I done the unthinkable as I left Jesus before I got married to my Muslim husband. I converted to Islam - Thats 13 yrs ago and now after having 2 lovely children and a reasonably good life I REALISE WHAT i HAVE DONE . Yes - now I am regretting my actions and want to come back to God. Sounds shallow to u all perhaps!"!
    But I know now that I need Jesus in my life and everyday I strive to make myself worthy of entering the Church.

I have yet to tell my Family and pray for the strength - which I will need _ in the future.
    Pray for me.

Ger
  • hey i agree to!!! :D
    batikha-basketball
  • wow. :) i'm praying 4 u geraladine!!! may god bless u!!

hey guys check out what st. paul has to say about this:

2 Corinthians 6:14-18
    6:14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?
    6:15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?
    6:16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people.
    6:17 Therefore Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you.
    6:18 I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the Lord Almighty.

hope this helped!!
    God bless u all!! ;D

--laura
  • ok we were kinda talking about this in sunday skool and then we came to a decision that since we are the right religion the person has to convert... that way its easier for them or you to live if you go according to the same commandments... it is a lot easier becasue you wont have much problems.

[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]GOD BLESS[/glow][/shadow]
  • I agree with what some ppl said be4. It definitely has to be the other one to convert, but they have to be converting because they believe our church is the best was to God, and not just to marry you. Not only is this wrong in God's eyes, but problems will arise later. If they left their church for you, they may later leave you for something else. They also may want to return to their church once you're married. So you have to be sure, that without a doubt, that they believe our Coptic Orthodox Church is the best way to God. If you feel that for just .00000000001% that they are just converting to marry you than don't go through with it.
  • Well then ,

I could not speak for all converts or people considering to return to any religion but I never had an idea of going back to the Church and was never religous . I was just happy and busy getting on with the daily chores of Family life. But now in my heart I cannot accept what I have done and I am willing to take the consequences of what I am about to do. God willing.
    Maybe it comes with age!!!! The willingness to give up your religion in order to Marry the man/woman u want to is something a usually young person takes in haste . - And regrets later.--- as i know now.

Indeed I would advise anyone in this situation to STOPand think.

I am now so overwhelmed by my need to not only to return to Jesus but to join the Coptic Church and be part of your family in Christ .

It is most terrifying when confronted by such feelings from out of nowhere. But hopefully I will reach my destination.
    So mixed religion marriages and converting shouldnt be ignored and every angle taken into consideration

Ger

• I congratulate, you Geraldine, for your decision to come back to Christ. Coming into the Coptic Orthodox Church will strengthen it all the more.

And Amaru, please, do not post such absurd pictures that have nothing to do with the topic.