marriage from different religion!

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
hey guys i was just reading the topic of the marriage of cousins and i thought of something bigger...how about marriage of different religion??i know it is absoulutly wrong but what about if two loved each other so much and both of them aren't the same religion and for example they wanted to get married and one of them changed to the other religion...is that still wrong??

Comments

• hi

if it was wrong the church would not allow it. however, sense in the sacrement of marrige the man and the woman become one, so they must share the same religion, and beliefs. that is why when a non-orthodox person wants to marry an orthodox person they must be batized as an orthodox before they can go and do the engagment cermony. after that they can decide on the wedding date and then they can finally be married.

hope this helps
    God Bless
  • i dont think its bout wrong and right; its bout practical problems. Some may get baptized and never enter church anymore, there's gonna be trouble in raising kids...which denomination will the follow?? will the celebrate xmas twice a year? After the romantic feelings are over there will be practical problems, if people can get them straight, then there's no problem i think.
  • Posted by: chiefofsinners Posted on: Today at 06:26:35pm
    hi

if it was wrong the church would not allow it. however, sense in the sacrement of marrige the man and the woman become one, so they must share the same religion, and beliefs. that is why when a non-orthodox person wants to marry an orthodox person they must be batized as an orthodox before they can go and do the engagment cermony. after that they can decide on the wedding date and then they can finally be married.

exactly! a true marriage consists of a relation between a man, woman and Christ. If a party does not agree harmoniously with another the entire interrelated chain will be destroyed, same goes for everything ralted to that specific marriage. In the Bible it says you have to love God with all your heart, mind and soul. If one converts, then it shows that they do not love God as much as their "partner"
  • "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."

"No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."
  • btw; in my post i assumed a non christian convertinginto a christian ;D

if u leave christ for "love" than ur out of ur mind obviously :(
  • well

inorder to be baptized, at least in the souther diocees, the bishope has to approve it as far as in know

god Bless
  • "inorder to be baptized, at least in the souther diocees, the bishope has to approve it as far as in know"

*what does that mean??*
  • hi

well the people that i know who weren't baptized, asked the bishop if they could become orthodox, and he told them to read certain books first, then he wanted to talk to them again to see if they really wanted to become orthodox.

god Bless
  • ummm..that makes alot of sence more than the previos1
  • thanx, sorry i didn't make the first one more clear

god Bless
  • [flash=200,200][/flash] Well, I'm new here and I was interested in replying. Well, if the person can change their religion and they are Coptic Orthdox.. then it is ok. The only wrong thing is if a person that is Coptic changes. The person will also have to be known by the priest, and the marriage SHOULD be at the churh. The priest has to approve it so that no one ends up in trouble. I really like that topic, becuase it's something I would wonder about. I don't think I would want to marry anyone from my church. :) Well, talk to me everyone. BIBI
  • hi

well i'm not really old, but i know that u never know who god has planned for u. maybe the person u like isn't going to be the one god has planned, my advice, stay open to wat god has in store for you.

God Bless
  • i can see that it seems to be intersting topic not what i was expecting but first of all welcome to MONIKA and thanks for replying and second of all it is not our biusness to think who are we going to marry and third of all i think you got alittle bit confused in this part monika:
    "Well, if the person can change their religion and they are Coptic Orthdox.. then it is ok. The only wrong thing is if a person that is Coptic changes."*sorry for complaining*

• hi

i must say something, no one can force u to do something, like a priest can't force to be a monk. but they can infulence u. but once u do it, then it's ur action not theirs.

sorry if this is confusing

God Bless
  • what do you mean by forcing??
  • ok

the last bible study we had was about king david and the sins which he comited. two major sins he comited were adultry, and murder. god forgave him however. he forgave him because david's heart was like god's. it was pure. this shows that even a pure person can fall into sin, not because the devil made him, but rather because they chose to. abouna explained it in this way: the devil is like a traveler who is walking by and asks u if he can come into ur home. you can either close the door, or u can invite him in because he APEARS as if he need a place to stay. but later, without u relising it, he becomes ur master. and the only maset we have is god, if the devil is our master, it's like saying he is our father. this is not right, our father is god. if we let the devil come in, we are letting him into our mind, our body, our soule, and our daily life.

there are two types of attacks form the devil

+ left hand- a noticable attack, one which is easy to identify

+ right hand- an attack which is not noticable, one that makes something bad seem good

Hope this helps
    God Bless
  • great! ::)
  • thanx

god bless
  • your welcome and god bless you too
  • I think marrage between non-christian and christians is wrong. One of the most important things is our faith and believes. If you mate who by law and society is your 'other half' doesnt believe in the most basic of believes (ie Christ) than I think it is wrong to marry. But with other christian religions i think it is ok, just realize that there will be complications. But as long as they believe in your basic ideas. So like if a Coptic Orthodox marrys a Presbytarian. :)
  • so what about marriag from 2christians but not both of them are orthodox is this a proplem??
  • why would it be wrong, it is the same faith, therefor they both are one, which is wat they should be

God Bless
  • If I am not mistaken...I think our church (coptic) is the only church that requires people from another branch of Christianity to be baptized before they can get married to each other.

About marrying from another religion, I just heard a really good thing today and that is If u give ur Christianity for love to someone of another faith then u weren't worthy of being a Christian at all.
    Yeah Love people but don't deny God for them. They don't last...God does forever. :)
  • wow

thats very good. i like that, the joy we get from earthly pleasures will die with the world. but the joy we get from god lasts forever

God Bless
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=board=13;threadid=1820;start=0#msg27601 date=1118183365]
    i dont think its bout wrong and right; its bout practical problems. Some may get baptized and never enter church anymore, there's gonna be trouble in raising kids...which denomination will the follow?? will the celebrate xmas twice a year? After the romantic feelings are over there will be practical problems, if people can get them straight, then there's no problem i think.

so true- wise words hos erof
    marriage is one of the sacraments so its sacred. wat exactly is marriage?? its where 2 pepole become one and help each other meet their final destionation- heaven. how can u do that wen some1 isnt the same religion?? its jus not right.
    an u say, they can get baptised- but its not so simple. its actualli a complex matter.
    think before u make such a decision and check with ur confession father
    mazza
    plz pray 4 me ;D
  • [quote author=chiefofsinners link=board=13;threadid=1820;start=0#msg27620 date=1118190109]
    hi

well i'm not really old, but i know that u never know who god has planned for u. maybe the person u like isn't going to be the one god has planned, my advice, stay open to wat god has in store for you.

God Bless

hey everyone,

well i think this is a great topic and we needed something to talk about that was interesting like this so after reading all these posts one in particular stood out which was the one i have quoted above because we had a lesson similar to this but it was not about marriage so we talked about marriage or keeping your chastity and then so one of the servants said exactly the same as you but then i have a question for everyone(. i wont be looking for a wife anytime soon though im only 15) If god is going to make sure whether im married or not (because the wrong choice may change the course of gods plan and be bad for my salvation)
    so how do i know whether i should take the initiative and go meet people( i hate to put it this way) but kinda look for a wife i mean everyone says like go to church and do school and then eventually do work and continue to go to church and god will take care of marriage but so shouldnt i still exert some sort of effort and then even if i do then what if i exert too much and find someone but god didnt want me to?

what do you think of this
    [coptic]agapy[/coptic],
    chris
  • [glow=red,2,300]"If I am not mistaken...I think our church (coptic) is the only church that requires people from another branch of Christianity to be baptized before they can get married to each other"[/glow]
    this was my point to ask that question!and it was great
  • well i think u should pray that gods will is done, and stay open. maybe the person god has planned for u, u think hate them at first, but then u get to know them, and u love them

just stay open

God Bless
  • Guys, Awsome topic

An orthodox who wants to marry somone else has two options:

1) Convert to that somone else's religion
    2) That somone else converts to yours (orthodoxy)

Option 1 means that you will NOT get married in an orthodox church and you want to leave God who is your Ultimate love to somone else. Jesus said "He who loves a father, mother, sister, brother, wife, husband, or children more than Me, does not deserve Me." So that is wrong.

Now option two is tricky. Both the church and you need to know for sure that that somone else is converting to orthodoxy based on love for Christ and his/her desire to know God. Not merely a step to get closer to you. If he/she is converting just so that he/she can get married to you, then you should be worried. If he/she left something so important to them (thier religion) for you, then they might leave you for something more important to them later. In other words you would question thier faithfullness. Also the fact that they might convert but not really change to orthodoxy in which case that would cause major problems later when you are married and they want to go back to thier old faith or bring the kids up torn between two doctorines.

Saint Paul said that you should not be under burden with somone who is not of your faith. So the trick here is to make sure that the person converting because he/she believes not so that you are happy and would get married.

Just my 2 cents.
  • 1) Convert to that somone else's religion
    2) That somone else converts to yours (orthodoxy)

that was a good point!
    i had a complaining about the 2 optoin when you change you religion before marriage and you married it is sin because they say that you changed your religion because you love him/her not because you love god!!

pray for me!