Movies about Jesus Christ

edited February 2005 in Faith Issues
:)

I was just wondering if any of you have seen the 3 DVD movie "The Gospel of John"? It's fabulous! In my opinion it's one of the best movies about the life of Jesus ever made.As the titles suggests it's the life of Jesus based on the Gospel of John;the script is nearly word for word taken straight from from the Holy Gospel.It's absolutely stunning!If you ever get the chance to see it you truely will be blessed! Have any of you seen the film?If so, what do you think of it?

What about the great classic "Jesus of Nazareth",or the "Passion of the Christ"?What is your opinion on these two great movies? Are there any other movies that I should know about ?Do you have any favorites to recommend? ;)

Comments

• that sounds good jfrankin i never really heard of it before though
    but i'll look it up it sounds cool
  • passion of the christ is a great movie its really
    good
    its kind of graphic though but it shows the whole idea its a good movie i liked it mel gibson id a great job
  • [quote author=jfranklin link=board=1;threadid=1169;start=0#msg19735 date=1107380754]
    What about the great classic "Jesus of Nazareth",or the "Passion of the Christ"?What is your opinion on these two great movies? Are there any other movies that I should know about ?Do you have any favorites to recommend? ;)

acctualy those are my faviourits, and those are the ones i recomend, there is acctuasly another one i really like, cause it really shows the devestaion that happend after the Lord died on the cross, its an old one and i dunt remember the name, but i'll look into it :) and the series your talking about is pretty good i only saw the first half of the first part, cause i droped religion at school, i didnt get to finish it :)

Maria
  • I reeeeeeeeally liked Jesus of Nazareth and come on, nobody can say that the Passion wasn't amazing!
  • Passions was an amazing movie cuz of the indepth details (straight from the bible) and the gorey scenes like the lashing and the crucifixion give it power since it makes you see what Jesus Christ went through when he came to save us

Pete
  • :)

but i'll look it up it sounds cool

It really is! It's not as big budget as Jesus of Nazareth{not as much money for sets,costumes,famous actors}but it's still a great movie.I purchased my DVD set at Aramaicbooks.com

there is acctuasly another one i really like, cause it really shows the devestaion that happend after the Lord died on the cross, its an old one and i dunt remember the name, but i'll look into it

I look forward to hearing about it. Hope you can find the name. :)

reeeeeeeeally liked Jesus of Nazareth

It's probably the best but the "Gospel of John" gives it a run for its money...lol :)
  • since it makes you see what Jesus Christ went through when he came to save us

Your right.Finally a movie that shows it the way it really was{or as close to reality as humanly possible}. :)
  • Actually the only reason I liked, and still like the passion of the Christ is because of some of the meanings... and the camera views... but I didn’t like how it showed Jesus as a regular person, who has no power....
  • but I didn’t like how it showed Jesus as a regular person, who has no power....

What do you mean?
  • well, i hear from a teacher that at that time Jesus was weak, especially when the devil was tempting him in the garden. it said that he sweat both sweat and blood, which is something they didnt know at the time, but that is an extreme medical condition showing extreme stress
  • i saw this movey called jesus it was ok, but it was kinda modern like he jesus wreseled judas n like they sum modern worlds u ......
    n the cruxifiction was very un accurate so... its pretty good i cant complain ..... but the passion was AWSOME
  • i think the passion is a very good movie and it portrays the life of jesus really well ;D one problem is though in the movie it shows the nails on the cross went through his hands, when it actually was supposed to go through his wrists. (correct me if i'm wrong)

i haven't seen the gospel of John, but I have seen the movie for the gospel of matthew... Its pretty good but the person playing Jesus was soooooooooooooo totally american!! lol but oh well ::)

i think there is a good movie called the jesus story or something like that.. i'll try and look it up.

God bless!

• I totally agree about the passion of the chirst it was THE BEST MOVIE.... I ever saw :)
    and plus it made people change towards God to a good way . ;)
  • wow man the passion...that was crazeeee i cried like there is no 2morrow in that movie. I think the most emotional part of that movie was not just the pain and the suffering that Jesus went through but rememba when Jesus fell while carrying the cross and Mary ran to him :'(..that jus got to me. The suffering that Christ went through was definalty emotional but it reminded me what he did for us and what we should do for him
  • ok so i nko the Passions was an extreamly awesome movie no doubt... but some of the stuff i didn't understand.. like the evil baby.. the bird that popped the left theif's eye.. when they pulled Jesus' arm till it broke.. where exactly did they nailed the nail on his palm or his wrist??.. and wuts up w/ the worm that went thru the devil and came out a snake?? explain plz.. sum1.. any1... :-\ :-* :-* :-*

Rina
  • but some of the stuff i didn't understand.. like the evil baby.. the bird that popped the left theif's eye.. when they pulled Jesus' arm till it broke.. where exactly did they nailed the nail on his palm or his wrist??.. and wuts up w/ the worm that went thru the devil and came out a snake?? explain plz.. sum1.. any1...

Theres alot of stuff thats not in the Bible and was added for artistic or entertainment purposes.I think Mel Gibson was trying to show that the Devil was behind much of what was going on{the hatred,cruelty,etc} so he took alittle artistic licence in portraying Satan...lol...

The nail was probably placed in the wrist as the body of the crucified would be too heavy for the hand to be able to bear such weight i.e. the flesh in the hand would tear and rip.There is alot of evidence supporting the wrist as opposed to the palm.Mel Gibson being Roman Catholic chose the palm of the hand since I believe this is the official{or at least traditional}Catholic teaching. :)
  • ok i kno the lil thing abt the weight and the palm and stuff but they nailed his palm not his wrist.. well if its bcz of his belief then its different.. but wut abt the pulling his arm off thing?? in the bible no bone of Christ is suposed to break.. and if his palm was nailed the nail wuda broke his bones.. but i still need more explainations.. but thnx a lot.. :-*
  • sry lol earlier i said i saw a movie called jesus lol ... its supposed 2 b called judas
    any1 else see it?
  • hey Rina my sunday skool teacher told us that the devil baby was likea symbol that was trying 2 tell Mary & God , im taking care of my son y arnt u taking care of urs
    kinda weird the way i said it but i hope u understood me ::)

GBU
    beshoyrm
  • I was gonna remain silent, but just have to get it out... who said that people were nailed by the wrist? the psalms states, "they nailed my hands and feet" and not ony the Catholic faith... but also the coptic faith... look at the older icons...
  • yes i didn't understand the baby thing either..it was freaky..
    yea i see where your coming from with the "hands and feet" but also i think that what we have to do is just realize that christ was nailed to the cross whether or not it was his hands or his wrists
  • about the devil and his child... I dont know where, but I remember reading and the devil and his children will see the son of man hurt.. so maybe it has something to do with it... I am not sure about it.
  • they nailed my hands and feet"

I believe in the Hebrew language the same word is used for both palm and wrist.There was no distintion between palm and wrist.Both were considered part of the hand.
  • research shows that it couldve been done through the hand... plus they couldve tied him with ropes.... and as we know saint luke was an artist, and many of the early fathers... so that is probably why the pictured Jesus with a nail in his hand... not wrist.
  • Yea, the Passion was awesome. It's my favorite movie and it's amazing how it influenced so many to come back to Christ. God bless.
  • hi everyone,
    i have a different opinion :-[. i know a lot of will not agree with me at all, just like all my friends didn't.
    i didn't see the passion of the Christ was a good Christian movie. Mel Gibson did a great job, but only from the violence side. the movie was all about a person who was suffering. I'm not sure how to explain how i feel towards this movie so please bare with me. i didn't see anything from Jesus's life, his teaching, his love. even though, the only reason he went through all that because of his love to us but i really couldn't feel that while i was watching the movie. I know that there were some flash back from his life came during his journey to the cross, but they were too short, not enough to show ??? how Jesus was like. Mel Gibson stressed more on the torture but not at the main reason. i don't think, I'm making any sense.
    unlike Jesus of Nazareth, you know how it show His story from the beginning. when he was a baby, When he was teaching at the temple when he was a young boy ....etc. This movie took us step by step through His life, then it showed us a general idea of his crucifixion. i don't know but Jesus of Nazareth touched me a lot more than The Passion of the Christ. :o

• hey hey! i can see where you are coming from, about the stress of the suffereing and not the life, i think that Mel gibson, went on the assumption that everyone who went to see the movie knows what Christ was like, and that they had probably seen movies with the life of christ in them! He really stressed the pain and the suffering, cause other movies didnt, and because its really important! it shows us how much God loves us!, and yes Jesus as we all know is human and divine at the same time! it shows his physical and human weakness, hello he was beaten sensless! you would be weak too! and the whole arm braking, i am pretty sure that none of the bones of Jesus were actually broken...but i am no 100% on that so if anyone knows information is always welcom!

Okay so the passion as we have so plainly concluded was an excelent movie( at least in my oppinon) and sivy started crying from the graden scean thats at the begining of the movie! :) and yes Rina you are right! i really didnt understand the devil baby, but someone at church told me, that the baby symobvolized, the ongoing sin of the generations after christ...i am not to certain which i could ask Mel what he ment by that! :)

okay i am out

Maria
  • .. when they pulled Jesus' arm till it broke..

the is a prophecy in the old testement, and i believe it's found in the book of psalms. it said something like, not one bone will break, also something like His bones will be countable. forgive me i can never remember the exact words :-[
    so i don't think that any of Jesus' bones broke. when they pulled His arm, his bones were separated, but they never broke. i heard that comment before, but you might want to ask someone who has a better idea about that. ;)
    TAKE CARE
    GOD BLESS YOU. :-* :-*
  • His bones will be countable

yup, this is from psalm 22:17: I can count all my bones

if i'm not mistaking this meant that his body lost all its fluids, water and blood, because of the sufferings, which caused his skin to stick to his bones, making them visible in that sense...

anywayz, i really like Jesus of Nazareth, that movie was absolutely amazing, the balance between humanity and divinity was portrayed really well
    the only thing the Passion added was that it portrayed the sufferings of the Lord in a very realistic way...
  • hey pplz.. ok well sense sum of us think that Jesus' hand was nailed i'd like to tell those of u that say that its not true Jesus' WRIST was nailed and the Pope said that.. in one of the churches here in Cali the Pope came and was talking abt how beautifull the church is but he said there's on thing thats not right.. and there was a picture of Jesus w/ the bible.. i'm sure all of us have seen it.. well the artist drew the hole in Jesus' palm and the Pope said that Jesus' WRIST was nailed not his hand.. so even the Pope said it.. and this is wut we believe and the other churches camn say wutever they want.. so ya i don't have enough tym to type abt the rest.. lol.. :-*

Rina