Protestant Concerts

1235»

Comments

• Reading long posts and listening to a long sermon are quite different tho. You could have a 20-30 minute sermon and I think most people would listen to it. We can put these on our iPods and listen to them as we do things or are in the care or whatever. I absolutely love Fr. Peter's sermons for a number of reasons. I am always humbled by not just what he says but how he says it. His voice is rather soothing and I always learn something. I know that when I first started posting on here I was extreme and overzealous. I remember even attacking Fr. Peter. Oddly enough it was from listening to him and reading his writings that really had a positive impact on me. Even the short time I skyped with him was a tremendous help in guiding me. I can thank Fr. Peter for much of who I am today.
  • [quote author=Timothym link=topic=12797.msg151068#msg151068 date=1327518323]
    Dear Fr Peter, I agree with those who said that a message about 10-20 minutes maximum is the best option. These days, people are busier than ever and the attention span is unfortunately shorter.

Also, the message will be more focused for the person listening. They can go home with 1 or 2 main points to think about rather than a whole bunch of themes and points all jumbled up. You have told me that when people post long posts, they don't even bother reading them. However they will read the 3 line posts which are concise and still deep.

If you've ever heard of Fr. Moses Samaan from St. Demianas church in San Diego, his sermons are the most Orthodox I've ever heard from a Coptic priest.

http://www.saintdemianachurch.org/sermons/

Am listening right now. Amazing. How do I DL this sermon?
  • Yeah, Fr. Moses Samaan is great! There are a few other priests I can think if, but there sermons aren't posted online. If there was a united effort to get these sermons out there, I think the youth wouldn't have to settle for the alternatives, which are usually shallow.
  • I really really like Bishop Angaelos' sermons. He's the Bishop of the UK, im guessing from his accent.
  • I am also a HUGE fan of Abouna Athanasius Iskander of Kitchner, Ontario. I have conversed with him via email before to, genius of a man. He has tons of sermons posted online.

I have had a few people ask me to do some youtube videos, but since I have never been well received, even by my own, I think I should take a hint from that and not take a risk of making the church look bad.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=12797.msg151102#msg151102 date=1327543662]
    I am also a HUGE fan of Abouna Athanasius Iskander of Kitchner, Ontario. I have conversed with him via email before to, genius of a man. He has tons of sermons posted online.

I have had a few people ask me to do some youtube videos, but since I have never been well received, even by my own, I think I should take a hint from that and not take a risk of making the church look bad.

That's a really wise and humble approach.
    Now I know (hope) that you are genuine.
    Not that I thought that you weren't :)
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=12797.msg151105#msg151105 date=1327557604]
    [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=12797.msg151102#msg151102 date=1327543662]
    I am also a HUGE fan of Abouna Athanasius Iskander of Kitchner, Ontario. I have conversed with him via email before to, genius of a man. He has tons of sermons posted online.

That's a really wise and humble approach.
    Now I know (hope) that you are genuine.
    Not that I thought that you weren't :)

I wish that were humility, but its just honesty.
  • I have just listened to two sermons by Father Moses Samaan and find them excellent and Orthodox. I also enjoy very much the sermons of Father Athanasius Iskander. I have also known Father Kyrillos Ibrahim for many years, before he was ordained, and have enjoyed his sermons.

Bishop Angaelos is one of four bishops in the UK. These are:

Metropolitan Seraphim - British Orthodox diocese
    Bishop Anthony - Diocese of the North East
    Bishop Misael - Bishop of the Midlands
    Bishop Angaelos - General Bishop
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12797.msg151107#msg151107 date=1327575469]
    I have just listened to two sermons by Father Moses Samaan and find them excellent and Orthodox. I also enjoy very much the sermons of Father Athanasius Iskander. I have also known Father Kyrillos Ibrahim for many years, before he was ordained, and have enjoyed his sermons.

Bishop Angaelos is one of four bishops in the UK. These are:

Metropolitan Seraphim - British Orthodox diocese
    Bishop Anthony - Diocese of the North East
    Bishop Misael - Bishop of the Midlands
    Bishop Angaelos - General Bishop

So are the 3 bishops under the metropolitan's care or is the British Orthodox like a vicariate?
  • To close the discussion on "Protestant Concerts" everyone OUGHT to read this article: Using Instrumental Music in Worship???

• I would like once again to reiterate, we have a growing FB group Coptic Orthodox Apologists. We now have many Orthodox AND protestants. We use this for healthy discussion/debate. I have posted many resources that will help strengthen your faith. Please join!
  • My request to join is in, Ioannes.
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12797.msg151123#msg151123 date=1327645761]
    To close the discussion on "Protestant Concerts" everyone OUGHT to read this article: Using Instrumental Music in Worship???

amazing
  • An excellent collection of texts from Father Athanasius.

In my own Evangelical background, among the Plymouth Brethren, we still had no musical accompaniment to our worship until probably the late 70s when an organ was allowed. And there are still Protestants in Scotland who sing only the Psalms and with unaccompanied voices.

I note that Father Tadros Malaty states that the music of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria was always unaccompanied, and that the cymbal and triangle were not introduced as a novelty until the Middle Ages.
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12797.msg151123#msg151123 date=1327645761]
    To close the discussion on "Protestant Concerts" everyone OUGHT to read this article: Using Instrumental Music in Worship???

No more quoting Psalm 150 in such arguments!
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=12797.msg151128#msg151128 date=1327662112]
    [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12797.msg151123#msg151123 date=1327645761]

Keep the discussion simple. Our Coptic rite does not allow the use of ANY musical instrument.
  • to answer the uk bishops question:
    the british orthodox metropolitan has good relations with the other bishops but their juristictions are separate. he is head of the british orthodox churches within the coptic orthodox patriarchate and the other bishops are heads of their own groups of coptic churches.
    the liturgies are different, the british are 'ahead' of us by being on the new calendar, but groups of coptic and british orthodox Christians in the same geographical area often collaborate and help each other, as happens in my current church.

i was already spiritually part of a coptic church (before i formally joined) when i heard about the british orthodox church, so i stayed in the more egyptian part of the church.
    i prefer falafel to biscuits after liturgy!
    ;)
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=12797.msg151128#msg151128 date=1327662112]
    [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12797.msg151123#msg151123 date=1327645761]

No sir, St Clement cleared that one right up. :)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12797.msg151133#msg151133 date=1327681064]
    to answer the uk bishops question:
    the british orthodox metropolitan has good relations with the other bishops but their juristictions are separate. he is head of the british orthodox churches within the coptic orthodox patriarchate and the other bishops are heads of their own groups of coptic churches.
    the liturgies are different, the british are 'ahead' of us by being on the new calendar, but groups of coptic and british orthodox Christians in the same geographical area often collaborate and help each other, as happens in my current church.

i was already spiritually part of a coptic church (before i formally joined) when i heard about the british orthodox church, so i stayed in the more egyptian part of the church.
    i prefer falafel to biscuits after liturgy!
    ;)

LOOL, thanks mabsoota and I'm glad you are "mabsoota" in the church you are in :)
  • Here it is. If we allow the youth to go to these concerts, to sing these songs in church, what will happen is that the PROTESTant liberal mindset will most definetly have an effect on at least some of them. Before you know it we will have Copts believing in this whole "we all believe in Christ, whom we share no common opinion" and thinking that is ok. We will have Copts more worried about how church makes them feel than on attaining salvation. It is the infectious mindset that spreads like a virus amongst the congregation, playing on their emotions and selfish desires. I know this sounds extreme but just look at the history of protestantism and how it has reduced itself over the years to a more debased and simple form. Protestantism has never known unity, even at its inception the reformers were divided. Luther actually rejoiced at his opponent, Zwingli, when he died!

This rebellious mindset is dangerous and worldly. We ought not let it into our churches lest we destroy ourselves. Remember protestantism is a rebellion against all things that have been deemed necessary for salvation, Orthodoxy is truth, apostolic, and obedience to God and the true Church. What could we possibly need with a humanistic worldly rebellion against the Godly?