Quotez

Comments

• Paradise of the Holy Fathers spake.. .

They used to say that one of the old men asked God that he might see the fathers, and he saw them [all], with the exception of Abba Antony; and he said unto him that showed [them] to him, "Where is Abba Antony?" And he said unto him, "Wheresoever God is there is Antony."

Paradise of the Holy Fathers spake...

Abba Antony said, "I saw all the snares of the Enemy laid out upon the ground, and I groaned and said, "Who can escape from these?" And the devils said unto me, "Humility maketh a man to escape from these, for we cannot attain unto it."
  • I do not possess anything! Do I possess even this body that you see? No, it was lent to me by God when I was born, and He will take it back when I die.
    - St.John Chrysostom
    ...is the man!!
    GBU ;)
  • [glow=red,2,300]
    The Great Abba Antony spake...

There are many who fall and who rise up to an attitude of rectitude, but there are some who fall from good deeds to polluted things; better is he who falleth and riseth up than he who standeth and then falleth.[/glow]
    GBU ;)
  • Father Matthew the Poor spake...

It seems as if we were created for prayer. Prayer is the only bond that links us to God.
    :D :D
  • Those quotes r so awesome!! :D :P

St. Anthony said "Exhaust yourself in reading, for it rids you of the filth of the flesh"

He also said "To the law and the witness; if they do not say something like this (the Bible) they will see no dawn"

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • He who liveth in the desert is free from three kinds of spiritual attacks, that is to say, those which arise through the ears, speech, and sight; he hath only one kind to fight, namely, that of the heart.
    - The Great Abba Antony

saint Anthony and Saint Augustine and Saint John chrysostom have the best qoutes :) :D
    thnx Magnoona4lyf ;)
    GBU ;)
  • Master Origen, Letter to Gregory spake...
    And applying yourself thus to the study of the things of God, with faithful prejudgments such as are well pleasing to God, knock at its locked door, and it will be opened to you by the porter, of whom Jesus says, "To him the porter opens.“ And applying yourself thus to the divine study, seek aright, and with unwavering trust in God, the meaning of the holy Scriptures, which so many have missed.
  • St. Augustine (from On Virginity) spake...
    "As [the women] were 'looking on,' so we too gaze at His wounds as He hangs. We see His blood as He dies. We see the price offered by the Redeemer, touch the scars of His Resurrection. He bows His head, as if to kiss you. His heart is made bare open, as it were, in love to you. His arms are extended that he may embrace you. his whole body is displayed for your redemption. Pnder how great these things are. Let all this be richly weighed in your mind; as He was once fixed to the Cross in every part of His Body for you, so He may now be fixed in every part of your soul."
  • Abba Epiphanius said, "He who revealeth and discovereth his good work is like unto the man who soweth [seed] on the surface of the ground, and doth not cover it up, and the fowl of the heavens cometh and devoureth it; but he who hideth his good works i like unto the man who soweth his seed in the furrows of the earth, and he shall reap the same harvest."
  • Abba Pambo asked Abba Antony, saying, "What shall I do?" The old man said unto him, "Put no confidence in thine own righteousness, and regret not nor cogitate upon a matter which is past, and be persistent in restraining thy tongue and thy belly."
  • BUMP
    mann bumping rules!

Shepherd of Hermas, Book Third: Similitudes: Of True Fasting and It's Reward: Chapter 1[54]:1-5 spake...

"What is this fasting," he continued, "which you are observing?" "As I have been accustomed, sir," I reply, "so I fast." "You do not know," he says, "how to fast unto the Lord: this useless fasting which you observe to HIm is of no value." "Why, sir," I answered, "do you say this?" "I say to you," he continued, "that the fasting which you think you observe is not a fasting. But I will teach you what is a full and acceptable fasting to the Lord. Listen," he continued: "God does not desire such an empty fasting? For fasting to God in this way you will do nothing for a righteous life; but offer to God a fasting of the following kind: Do no evil in your life, and serve the Lord with a pure heart: keep His commandments, walking in His precepts, and let no evil desire arise in your heart; and believe in God. If you do these things, and fear Him, and abstain from every evil thing, you will live unto God; and if you do these things, you will keep a great fast, and one acceptable before God.
  • [glow=red,2,300]The most important work in the spiritual struggle is to enter the heart and there to wage war with Satan; to hate Satan and to fight him by opposing his thoughts. If a man keeps his body outwardly free from lust and corruption, and yet inwardly commits adultery before God, by fornication in his thoughts, then there is no profit whatever in keeping the body pure.

+ Nicephorus the Solitary + [/glow]
  • I show you doubt, to prove that faith exists
    -Robert Browning

love that quote
  • UnHappy Thoughts, Will Only Bring UnHappiness.
    -Bishoy (me)
  • naaaaaaa really na jkz

these r cool i dunno who wrote them

-u need hope to cope
    -when temptation calls u on the phone, dont argue with it, just hang up!!
    -when satan comes at my door i say:lord do u ind getting that :) ;)

i fink they r cool
    GBU ALL
    FROG

• :D her r 1ns from Pope Shenouda III

the strait is called a strait because the hr=eart is narowwed and is not ables to be widened for it. however, nothing disturbs the wide heart, but the big heart rejoices with everything, and thanks God for everything. it is a heart that is never disturbed from anything whatever the circumstances are.

it is possible for the man to overlook his personal matters, but it is not possible for him to overlook the rights of others, country and Gods commandments. overlook here means to leave his right or some of his rights. this is a matter that returns totally to him

GBU ALL
    FROG
    PRAY 4 ME
  • love is stronger than hate, one man loved the world so he saved it, the world hated him, but coulkdnt diminish his love
  • Paradise of the Holy Fathers spake...
    I heard that the blessed man Antony used to say, 'God doth not permit words to wax as fierce in this generation as He did in the gneration of old, for He knoweth that men are [more] feeble [now] , and that they could not bear [them].
  • hello all...

such beautiful quotes!

i'm not sure if the following quotes were already mentioned, but here they are...
    i find them to be very useful when situations get tough...

"If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it!"

"God never gives you more than you can handle."
  • hey guyz.. this is a quote that i love but can't remember who wrote it.....

"kindness is a language that the dumb can understand and the deaf can hear"

"anger is one letter short of danger"

This is just a funny one that i saw in a dessert place
    "Honey i know about stressed, its desserts spelled backwards"
    ;D
  • oops soz rong convo ???

soz

A brother asked Abba Poemen, "Is it better to speak or to be silent?" The old man said to him, "The one who speaks for God's sake does well; but the one who is silent for God's sake also does well."

+ Abba Poemen +
  • Prayer is the seed of gentleness and the absence of anger.

+ Abba Nilus +
  • Repentance is the way and the key to the Kingdom of Heaven, without which no one can enter into it. Let us keep to this path, O brethren: for the path now in this short life is narrow and afflicted, but later in that endless future life there shall be abundant and unutterable rewards.

+ St. Alexander Svirsky +
  • Brother: How is love made known? Old Man: By the fulfillment of works, and by spiritual care, and by the knowledge of faith. Brother: What are the works? Old Man: The keeping of the commandments of the Lord with the purity of the inner man, together with the labor of the outer man.

+ The Paradise of the Holy Fathers +
  • If you Worry, why Pray? But if Pray, why Worry?

not sure by whom, but i heard it somewhere....
  • "Jesus is like a light that never stops shining"

-Mr. Coptic Orthodox
  • If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free. John 8:31-32
    -Jesus Christ, The Son of God

"For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more" (Jeremiah 31:34)
    - God, first person(a) of the All-Holy Trinity (thru the prophet Jeremiah)

• These are some of my personal favourites...if you read them, you'll know why... :)

He departed from our sight, so that we should turn to our hearts and find him there.
    -St. Augustine

Let nothing trouble you. Let nothing frighten you. Everything passes. God never changes. Patience Obtains all. Whoever has God Wants for nothing.
    God alone is enough. -St. Teresa of Avila

Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One who is leading. -Jim Elliot

Some people think God does not like to be troubled with our constant coming and asking. The way to trouble God is not to come at all. -D.L. Moody

Is it not true that when we have God we have everything? -St. Peter Julian Eymard

Jesus Christ is not valued at all until He is valued above all. -St. Augustine

God commands you to pray, but he forbids you to worry. -St. John Vianney

God may thunder His commands from Mount Sinai and men may fear, yet remain at heart exactly as they were before. But let a man once see his God down in the arena as a Man--suffering, tempted, sweating, and agonized, finally dying a criminal's death--and he is a hard man indeed who is untouched. -J.B. Phillips, "Your God Is Too Small"
  • 2 quotes i heard.... they kinda mean the same thing...

"Alot of kneeling will keep you in good standing"

"A solution to any problem is as close as the distance from your knees to the ground"

take care and God bless