Quotez

Comments

• There is another person within us, whose senses have been blinded by the devil. Jesus came to make this person whole and strong

Abba Makarius, the great

The day when you do not stay with yourself for an hour, do not count it among the days of your life

Paradise of the Fathers
  • proclaim ur weakness, and you will be more careful

Pope Shenouda III
  • No power can affect the comfort that the mighty Lord always grants us

Pope Kyrillos VI
  • [glow=red,2,300]"We are commanded to have only one enemy, the devil."[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]"The making an enemy a friend, will render God propitious and favorable towards us, and will easily set us free from our sins."[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]"This do with regard to your brethren; when you see them cut off from your friendship, make all haste to recover them."[/glow]

- St. John Chrysostom
  • [glow=red,2,300]"If you wish to correct anyone from his faults, do not think of correcting him solely by your own means: you would only do harm by your own passions, for instance, by pride and by the irritability arising from it; 'but cast thy burden upon the Lord,' (Ps. 55:22) and pray to God 'Who trieth the hearts and reins,' (Ps. 7:9) with all your heart, that He Himself may enlighten the mind and heart of that man."[/glow]
    - St. Gregory Palamas

(On Prayer and Purity of Heart no. 3, The Philokalia Vol. 4 edited by Palmer, Sherrard and Ware; Faber and Faber pgs 344-345)
  • The Great Abba Antony spake...
    When we rise up in the morning each day let us think that we shall not abide until the evening, and when we come to lie down also let us think that we shall not abide until the morning; for we know not the days of our life, but they are known unto God. If we do this each day we shall not sin, and we shall do nothing wicked before God, and we shall not lust eagerly for anything belonging to this world, and we shall not be angry with anyone, but in everything we shall be regarding our souls, even as men who await death.

...let us not lay the blame for the sins we have committed either on our birth or on anyone else, but only on ourselves.
    -- The Great Abba Antony

God, for your sake humbled Himself, and you will not be humbled for your own
    sake?! The Lord Himself who is the Way and is God, after He came not on His
    own behalf but for you so that He might be an example for you of everything
    good, see, He came in such humility, taking "the form of a slave"
    [Philippians 2:7], He Who is God, the Son of God, King, the Son of King ...
    But do not despise His divine dignity, as you look at Him, externally
    humiliated as one like us. For our sakes He so appeared, not for Himself...
    When they spat in His face and placed a crown of thorns on Him and hit Him,
    what more humiliation could He have yet undergone?... If God condescends to
    such insults and sufferings and humiliation, you, who by nature are clay and
    are mortal, no matter how much you are humiliated, will never do anything
    similar to what your Master did. God, for your sake, humbled Himself and you
    will not be humbled for your own sake?!

St. Macarius the Great of Egypt (Homily 26, 25-26)

How immense is the grace of the divine compassion and condescension that
    knows no limit! God comes down to the level of sinful men and women; the
    good Lord speaks with His rebellious servants; the Holy One calls those
    who are impure to forgiveness. Humanity created out of mud addresses its
    Fashioner with familiarity, dust converses with its Maker. Let us,
    therefore, show awe when we sinners stand in the presence of this Majesty
    and speak. Even though we are so impure in our deeds He draws us close to
    the sight of Himself in the spirit; let us therefore repeat with trembling
    the words of the blessed Prophet Isaiah: `Woe is me, for I am dazed. I am
    a man of unclean lips, yet my eyes have beheld the King, the Lord
    Almighty.'

Martyrius, in The Syriac Fathers on Prayer and the Spiritual Life.

Do you wish to commune with God in your mind? Strive to be merciful. . . . A
    man should first of all begin to be merciful in the measure that our
    heavenly Father is merciful.

St. Isaac of Syria

• [glow=red,2,300]"When a person is in a state of natural well-being, he sings the psalms with a full voice and prefers to pray out loud. But when he is energized by the Holy Spirit, with gladness and completely at peace he sings and prays in the heart alone.

The first condition is accompanied by a delusory joy, the second by spiritual tears and, thereafter, by a delight that loves stillness. For the remembrance of God, keeping its fervour because the voice is restrained, enables the heart to have thoughts that bring tears and are peaceful.

In this way, with tears we sow seeds of prayer in the earth of the heart, hoping to reap the harvest of joy (Ps. 126:5). But when we are weighed down by deep despondency, we should for a while sing psalms out loud, raising our voice with joyful expectation until the thick mist is dissolved by the warmth of song."[/glow]

- St. Diadochos of Photiki
  • The Great Abba Antony spake...

I have received this great fiery Spirit: receive Him now yourselves. If you wish to receive Him that He may dwell in you, first offer hard labours of the flesh and humility of the heart. Raise your thoughts up to heaven night and day. Ask in uprightness of heart for this fiery Spirit and He will then be given to you...Persist in prayer diligently, with all your heart, and He will be given you, for this Spirit dwells in upright hearts. He will reveal to you higher mysteries and other things which I cannot express in ink and paper... celestial joy will then be your portion day and night.
  • [glow=red,2,300]Do you fast? Give me proof of it by your works.
    If you see a poor man, take pity on him.
    If you see a friend being honored, do not envy him.
    Do not let only your mouth fast,
    but also the eye and the ear and the feet
    and the hands and all the members of our bodies.
    Let the hands fast, by being free of avarice.
    Let the feet fast, by ceasing to run after sin.
    Let the eyes fast, by disciplining them
    not to glare at that which is sinful.
    Let the ear fast, by not listening to evil talk and gossip.
    Let the mouth fast from foul words and unjust criticism.
    For what good is it if we abstain from birds and fishes,
    but bite and devour our brothers?
    May HE who came to the world to save sinners strengthen us to complete the fast with humility, have mercy on us and save us.[/glow]

- St. John Chrysostom.
  • [shadow=red,left]St. Clement of Alexandria spake...[/shadow]

[shadow=red,left]The Word of God became man, that you may learn from a Man how man may become God.[/shadow]
  • wow ArIpSaLiN awsome quote,
    i really like it
    thnx
    ;)
  • Abba Ammonas was asked, "What is the narrow and hard way?" (Mt. 7:14)

He replied, [glow=red,2,300]"The narrow and hard way" is this, to control your thoughts, and to strip yourself of your own will, for the sake of God. This is also the meaning of the sentence, "Lo, we have left everything and followed you." (Mt. 19:27)[/glow]
  • St. John Climacus spake...

The path of fasting leads to the path of purity. Fasting is the cutting off of lust and evil thoughts, the purity of prayer, the illumination of the soul, the guarding of the mind, the deliverance from hardness of the heart, the door to contrition, the occasion for silence, the health of the body, freedom from the passions, the remission of sins.

[glow=red,2,300] ;D[/glow]
  • When I was alone, and Had nothing.
    i asked for a friend to help me bare the pain
    no one came, except God.
    When I needed a breath to rise from my sleep
    no one could help me, except God.
    When all I saw was sadness, and I needed answers
    no one heard me, except God.
    So when im asked who I give my unconditional love to
    look for no other name, except God.
  • wow..thats awesome i lvoe that quote
  • WELCOME to this site, HaveMercyOnME!!!
    'GBU ;) ;D
  • Abba Evagrius said, 'Take away temptations and no one will be saved.'
  • I know that a saint may not have said this, but I really liked it and thought it was good.

"God gives us 48,300 seconds a day, have we ever taken 1 to say 'Thank you' "

sleepy
  • wat if i took 1hr to say thanku? ;D

GBU ;)
  • Whatever makes you happy...lol

sleepy
  • lol
    hey heres one i think is VERY REALLY IMPORTANT

The Great Abba Antony spake...

When we rise up in the morning each day let us think that we shall not abide until the evening, and when we come to lie down also let us think that we shall not abide until the morning; for we know not the days of our life, but they are known unto God. If we do this each day we shall not sin, and we shall do nothing wicked before God, and we shall not lust eagerly for anything belonging to this world, and we shall not be angry with anyone, but in everything we shall be regarding our souls, even as men who await death.

u should always wake up in the morning and figure wat ur gonna do all day, so u dont sin....read the words...its too beautiful :'(....u can just cry from its beautifulness....
    GBU ;)
  • another beneficial one :)

You are a hopeless lot. You know the names of all the charioteers but not even the names of the evangelists.
    - St. John Chrysostom

enjoy ;)
  • these are gr8
    far out it makes me keep changin my msn nik name...lol
  • I'm not sure if any1 posted this by but i just got text this quote and i'm in love with it....it's so awesome guys!

"For Christians above all people are forbidden to correct the stumblings of sinners by force...
    it is necessary to make someone better not by force but by persuasion. We neither have authority granted us by law to restrain sinners, nor, if it were, should we know how to use it, since God gives the crown to those who are kept from evil, not by force, but by choice."

Saint John Chrysostom

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • woohoo!
    St.John Chrysostom, has GOOD stuff

The Cross, is wood which lifts us up and makes us great ... The Cross uprooted us from the depths of evil and elevated us to the summit of virtue.
    - St.John Chrysostom

GBU ;)

• Paradise of the Holy Fathers, Volume II, Questions and Answers on the Ascetic Rule, # 537 spake...

He who is not watchful in respect of his tongue is like unto him whose house door is open, and whose riches are plundered by every man, and he is like unto an uncovered vessel, and like that which is unsealed.
  • St. Isaac the Syrian spake...

Let yourself die in striving rather than living in laziness. For those who die trying to keep the commandments are martyrs, just as those who died for Christ's faith.
  • [glow=red,2,300]Before the war begins, seek out your ally; before you fall ill, seek out your physician; and before grievous things come upon you, pray, and in the time of your tribulations you will find Him, and He will listen to you. [/glow]

St. Isaac the Syrian
  • The man who has found love eats and drinks Christ every day and hour and so is made immortal. 'Whoever eats of this bread', He says, 'which I will give him, will never taste death.' Blessed is he who consumes the bread of love, which is Jesus! He who eats of love eats Christ, the God over all, as John bears witness, saying, 'God is love.'

St. Isaac the Syrian
  • [glow=red,2,300]The path of God is a daily cross. No one has ascended into Heaven by means of ease, for we know where the way of ease leads and how it ends. [/glow]

St. Isaac the Syrian