Joan of Arc, I'm confoosed????

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey guys can you explain Joan of Arc to me...i noe her story but i guess i dont get it...i just watched "The Messenger: Joan of Arc"...helppppppp ??? ??? ??? ???

Comments

• hey guys can you explain Joan of Arc to me...i noe her story but i guess i dont get it...i just watched "The Messenger: Joan of Arc"...helppppppp

Joan of Arc was a young peasant girl who lived in France during a period known as the "Hundred Years War",which was a military conflict involving several european powers, including England,Burgandy,Flanders, and France..Joan{or Jean in French}was a French subject{France was losing the war badly}who claimed that certain angels and other personages commanded her in the Name of God to resist the English and their allies,and to drive them completely out of France.She was also instructed to make sure the rightful heir of France was crowned king and that he assert his authority to rule France.At the time Joan recieved her visions the situation was very bleak,militarily for the French and the heir was just a young man who had little real authority or power.That she was able to accomplish her goals{for the most part}was quite remarkable!During the middle ages girls did not have a high standing in society and it is so unusual{almost impossible}for a girl to rise to such power as did Joan.Whether her visions were real or not,Jean was a very remarkable girl indeed!

After establishing the king{a remarkable feat in itself},and after accomplishing tremendous military victories{Orleans,etc.}she was in effect betrayed by the King of France and captured by the English,who after having her tried by a mock court ,had her burned at the stake. But the damage had already been done!The French were so aroused by Joans life and death that they soon drove the English off French soil.Thus the "Maid of Orleans" accomplished her goals!

Since you watched the movie you probably know all of this.I ,personally,dont like that movie"the messenger",because it tries to portray Joan not as a girl who recieved a Divine message but rather as someone who suffered from mental illness;just a confused and pathetic young woman.I completely disagree! Whether her visions were real or not,from a worldly standpoint what she was able to accomplish was amazing!A young girl establishing a weak king,commanding the Armies of France and winning tremendous military battles against one of the best armies of its time,deserves in my opinon all the positive fame and recognition that she achieved.If she was crazy{I think not!}she was no crazier than most of the people who lived during the late middle Ages.

I hope this brief explanation helps you to understand Joan alittle better.
  • thank you for all that....it must have taken 4ever 2 type... :) :)..thanks...i agree that the movie portrayed her badly...but does she exist in the orthodox religion...is she considered a saint???? and what about the new tv show( if u ever watched it) Joan of Arcadia...wut do u think about that?????
  • My favorite part of that whole 3hr movie is at the end when she's inprisoned and "God"speaks to her! OMGoodness, it shows u how many different faces the devil has and how he can play with our minds and make everything look o so wonderful when in reality its just a big puddle of a bunch of UH-OHS! I also like how they portrayed the fact that God will never abandon u till the very end and even till ur last breath he will give u a chance to repent and come back to him...thas so heart warming :D
    And i dont see why she wouldnt exist in the orthodox religion, i mean shes recorded in history i dont think there'd be a reason y she wouldnt be supported by our faith, but correct me if i'm wrong please....And i dont think shes considered a saint...i mean saints r one with God...she was one with whom she THOUGHT was God so i really dont think she should be considered a saint, but once again feel free to discuss otherwise ;)

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • yea but it was weird.....i thought God was the devil...or that ol dude..its so confoosing....and why did God have those big bug eyes...i always imagined that when God appears to you it would be beautiful..not something that creeps you out!!!
  • ok..syl...but did God really send her messages....if he didnt doesnt that mean she was going against our religioin.... ??? ???
  • We wouldnt know such a thing, would we...whether God sent her messages or not we wouldnt know that, but thats what she claimed in her trial, thats what she saw and who she talked to. SHE THOUGHT SHE WAS GETTING MESSAGES FROM GOD...when really it was her own thoughts disguised in Gods image....lyk when the devil gives u a beautifully iced cake and inside is nothing but worms and gross NONedible things...that was the same way with her, she thought she thought she saw signs from God....BUT, SHE SAW WHAT SHE WANTED TO SEE!

• but r there any documents of any sort that states that???u sound so smart...i lwwf u lol.. :)...o hey by the way..lol..
  • Hey guys,

Just thought I'd add that H.H. mentions Joan of Arc when he talks about roles God assigns to women as a defence against feminism so don't count her out just yet... ;)

God bless,

CS
  • lolx...thats sooo kewl, I didnt know the pope talked about her...awesome! I just love the theme of the story, just the message the ending portrays, so incredible!
    And i do not sound smart, lolx... maturerer maybe, lolx :P

• wow gr8 stuff
    i thought she was only a catholic saint
    wat about St Francis Xavier is he also accepted in our COC??
  • syl...its called spiritual maturity..lol...i guess since the pope spoke of her shes real!!! :) thanks for that coptic defender...this has been driving crazy all weekend..the Joan of Arc thing
  • Whos Francis Xavier? Do u kno the story behind him? lolx...and meryam u still saw the movie @ my house ::)

• The coptic church technically only considers saints to be the people mentioned in the liturgy during the commemoration, these are the ones who were officially canonised. We don't have a formal process that examines the life of each saint like the catholic church does.

Think of it this way, in EO churches they have their own saints like St. John of Damascus who wrote against the iconcasts but we use his books today as a defence of our icon theology. He isn't a saint technically but we see them as a blessed people.

I also understand that H.H. liked St. Francis of Assisi but we don't consider them saints or anything, just blessed people.

God bless,

CS
  • thank you for all that....it must have taken 4ever 2 type... ..thanks...i agree that the movie portrayed her badly...but does she exist in the orthodox religion...is she considered a saint???? and what about the new tv show( if u ever watched it) Joan of Arcadia...wut do u think about that?????

It took me over an hour...I think I need to take a typing course,or something...lol

I know Joan of Arc is considered a Saint by the Roman Catholic Church.

I really enjoy watching Joan of Arcadia!I think it's a great show and has many positive christian themes,but every once in a while it strays from the teaching of the Bible.It sometimes portays God in a way that seems to trivialize the majesty of the LORD, and yet on the positive side the show has many good points,especially how it portrays the love and character of God.I think it's definitely worth watching.
  • yea...but i hate how she sometimes yells at him...but i guess we yell at him everyday even though hes no physically there...and i love that when he tells her to do something and turns out to have this BIG learning experience behind...i guess they add the other stuff to have high ratings...as long as people are watching it!!! and sylvia i didnt watch it in your house its the other movie...Stigmata...did i spell the rite i dont remember how its supposed to be said..creepy movie...and r we eastern orthodox, western or neither...i noe we're coptic but today in my PSAT there was no coptic or just christian so i put Eastern Orthodox...was that a no no!!! :-\ :-\.....sorry to change the subject!!!
  • but i hate how she sometimes yells at him

I agree! There are other little things that kind of spoil the mood of the show but overall I still like it,and it makes me appreciate God more.God is so good!

i guess they add the other stuff to have high ratings.

Sad,but true!
  • but the best thing is that it portrays God as a friend and some people in todays society needs to see Him as that!!! :) :) :)
  • ..Stigmata...did i spell the rite i dont remember how its supposed to be said..creepy movie...

Yea,I thought it was a creepy movie too!I did'nt like it at all,it was just too messed up for my taste.I thought "Bless the child" was a better horror movie that had some good christian themes.Some of these movies nowadays are just a little too creepy and scary for me...lol{"the Ring", for example}.
  • ok so no one knows who St Francis Xavier is?
    ok maybe hes just considered a 'special' saint-like person like u ppl alredy mentioned st francis of asisi is
    ok thanx all!
  • ok so no one knows who St Francis Xavier is

I think he was the founder of the Jesuits???Or was that Loyola?I know he did alot of missionary work in Asia
    [India,etc}.He was a Roman Catholic.

As I'm typing this the the song "sherry"{from the 50s or 60s} is playing on my T.V...lol
  • lol
    is the song talkin bout cherries or a character named sherry? lol
    wats the song called i wanna download it!
  • [quote author=$herry link=board=1;threadid=688;start=15#msg12964 date=1097799342]
    lol
    is the song talkin bout cherries or a character named sherry? lol
    wats the song called i wanna download it!

It's a famous song about a girl named "Sherry",or"Sherri",not sure how to spell it...lol
    I think it's by Franki Valli and the Four Seasons.It's your very own personal song...lol
  • There is a very detailed website explaining the whole entire story of Joan of Arc's life...it is acually a very helpful story and it clears whatever confusions u may have...it also explains that "her voices"were not from God....they were acually 3 saints she "heard". And it also elaborates on why she is considered a martyr in the catholic faith and how she was burned at the stake really for wearing mens clothing which back then was against the church laws. I hope this helps whomever was confoosed ;) theres 17 chapters, they're extremely short explaining her life story and its very detailed with pictures and everything so have fun ;D

http://www.lawbuzz.com/justice/joanof_arc/others.htm