World Cup National Football Team - Changing Teams

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi,

I have always supported England during every World Cup. I've lived in the UK half of my life, and I feel passionate about England playing in any tournament. I do support them. However, I am fed up of them losing, that is now getting to the point that I don't want to support them anymore. They raise your hopes and then fail to deliver - EVERY TIME!

Is it a sin if I live in the UK and support someone else? Would I offend anyone? Where I live, everyone is England-Crazy, and they have the English flag flying out of their trouser pockets.

The British football team have three lions on their shirts. I don't understand why they chose 3 lions for.. It should be 3 penguins. You see.. this is a TYPICAL example of how they raise your hopes and then fail.

When they lost to Germany, the news broadcaster said "Ahh well, its not all doom and gloom, England have performed very well in the Cricket match today".

Yes, of course they performed well - that's because Brazil, Argentina, Germany and Ghana do not have a cricket team!! That's the only reason why England do so well!!

I mean, this is just getting too embarrassing.

Would it be wrong for me to just support Brazil from now on??

Comments

• Are you being serious? How would that possibly be a sin in God's eyes?

"Sorry I cannot let you enter heaven, you supported Brazil while living in England. How dare you!" lol

But logically thinking, if you're going to support another team, it might as well be Spain  ;D

(Edit: They're not in the top 10, but something is telling me that is going to change this year)
  • The idea is that i don't want to offend anyone in my neighbourhood. I am literally giving up supporting England, whether in private or public.

I'm not sure if you know the Brits, but they could take it really badly. But I cannot lie. I just don't want to support them anymore. I've been hurt too many times. They're nice people, etc.. but their football teams are useless.

If they can't blame their manager, they blame the shape of the ball... if its not the ball being "too round", then its the climate that is causing a problem. I just feel really embarrassed now supporting this team.
  • Only one solution left... move to Spain ;)
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=9411.msg116078#msg116078 date=1277817889]
    Only one solution left... move to Spain ;)

Yeah, habibi, I've considered this option. But unfortunately, I want to move to a country where the team is going places. I don't want ever again to invest my time, energy and emotions in a team that will clearly fail. So, I'm looking at moving to Germany, Brazil, or Portugal.

But thanks for the suggestion!!

Besides, I look Brazilian, and I speak a bit of portuguese...
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9411.msg116081#msg116081 date=1277823704]
    I don't want ever again to invest my time, energy and emotions in a team that will clearly fail.

haha wow you're one dedicated fan.
  • I hope it is not a Sin as I have already supported three teams this world cup.

England until the end of the group stages
    Slovakia until they lost to Holland
    Now Ghana...

I will always be an England fan at heart, but this is a game, seriously!

Support whoever and how many countries you want. God will not mind.
  • [quote author=DanieM link=topic=9411.msg116090#msg116090 date=1277841250]
    I hope it is not a Sin as I have already supported three teams this world cup.

England until the end of the group stages
    Slovakia until they lost to Holland
    Now Ghana...

I will always be an England fan at heart, but this is a game, seriously!

Support whoever and how many countries you want. God will not mind.

I havent yet decided who to support: Brazil or Germany; but dont u think it will look a bit odd with me standing in my German shorts, German top and waving the German flag in an English pub in the heart of London watching the Germans play? I mean, i don't want to offend anyone. I just want to support a team that's going somewhere.
  • I have promised a German friend that I will support Germany against Argentina, simply because I do not like Maradona.  ;D

But I am supporting Ghana more than any others now, as I would like to see an African team win the world cup.

In the israel/England game a few years ago I wore an Israel top and Scarf as a dare, and lots of people started talking to me because of it, and apologising for what others were saying during the game (insulting the opposition etc...) It ended up very friendly and was certainly a positive experience.

Against brazil I could imagine there would be some more German supporters especially in London. therewil be some rude people, but I would imagine it would be fine. A bit odd yes, but fine.
  • Daniel,

THis is amazing. We are exactly the same.

I too promised a good friend that I will support Germany because he's my cousin and we want there to be peace and love and in the family.

Secondly, I too cannot stand Diego Maradonna. - it wasn't really his "hand of God" thing that annoyed me the most, it was the fact that he's not really a good example for children, and he's always talking about "fair play" as if he invented the idea, yet he clearly doesn't believe in it.

How do u feel towards England? I am so gutted.

I think Capello is to blame partly. What do u think?
  • I think that England just went in being too arrogant and thinking about their personal gains, not the team.
    Fabio also expected too much of them and gave up on them when they needed his support most.

I think England need to learn to play as a team, and not just as 11 individuals on the pitch. There is not much good passing or teamworkers in the side, which is a shame. But they really did deserve to lose to Germany, no doubt. They simply beat us in skill.

In the end it is only a game, and now everyone is too interested in the Tennis to care. Then it will be the premier league all over again instead.
  • zoxsasi,
    if u wear a german flag in an english pub, it may lead to an early martyrdom
    ;)
  • Right now World Cup is over are you satisfied with the results?
    What your thoughts about Spain and world cup?
  • [quote author=forumirule link=topic=9411.msg116453#msg116453 date=1279046134]
    Right now World Cup is over are you satisfied with the results?
    What your thoughts about Spain and world cup?

Yes, I am surprised. I didnt expect Spain to win, but i was impressed by their performance in the finals against Holland.

I went to buy a brazillian top last week, but they had all soled out. The only thing remaining was English (in all sizes), Swedish and Denmark kits.

I think I'll just support the team where I can find a good T-shirt in my size. I am glad Holland didnt win because orange isn't really good on me. I like the yellow and red of the Spanish side, and of course the Brazillian colors are my favourite.

Well done for Spain. I was drinking Sangria to celebrate their win all week. I had prepared a vase full of tulips, but as soon as spain had won, I gave the tulips away.

Nevermind.
  • My eldest daughter is in Madrid as part of her studies and she waited for hours on the street to welcome the team home. She managed to get this photo of the team as they went past really close to her...

Father Peter
  • Zoxsasi,

Give up Soccer (football), cricket, and all of that childish stuff and take up Baseball; specifically the New York Yankees.

The Yankees are God's Team.

George Steinbrenner, the owner, went to his rest today.  He is the most philanthropic sports owner in the whole world.

That in itself distinguishes the allegiance.
  • Baseball is hardly a sport. It is what sports people do to warm up before playing a proper sport. :-)

Actually you are aware that Baseball was invented in England?

Father Peter
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9411.msg116459#msg116459 date=1279048631]
    Zoxsasi,

Give up Soccer (football), cricket, and all of that childish stuff and take up Baseball; specifically the New York Yankees.

The Yankees are God's Team.

George Steinbrenner, the owner, went to his rest today.  He is the most philanthropic sports owner in the whole world.

That in itself distinguishes the allegiance.

What color are their Sports kit?

If it doesn't look good, forget it.

Do you honestly think I understand what "off side is"?? If the players have nice hair cuts, good manners, and a snazzy sports kit, I'll support them. Its that simple.

I need to research this yankee stuff before I engage on buying any of their gear. its not easy:

Do their colors match my carpet?
    Do their colors match my car?
    Do their colors match my jeans?

See? You think its easy: Just support this team, but there is a LOT of hard work that goes into supporting a team. Its not just about fun and games ya iLoveSaintmark!
  • (read the following as if said in a polite, christian way)

WHAT I TELL YOU ALL ABOUT SPAIN!!! IN YOUUUUR FACES!!! NAH NAH NA POOOOO POOOO!!!!  :P
  • The English invent, but others prosper... not only in sports,but in many things..strange..

When it comes to Soccer ,I always thought the English,Welish,Scottish and Irish had better chances at winning in major football tournaments only if they participate as the United Kingdom or GB. 'United we stand' ,they say. If they do that at the Olympics,why not in soccer..I bet,they would be as tough as ManU or Chelsea to beat....To see England getting uprooted against their nemesis,the Germans  4-1 is a bizzare moment of this tournament..not that I am an avid fan of the English team, but that I have always despised the German side for their hurbis, 'we are the best' attitude...But Soccer will always remain a fascinating sport ,never matched by any other type of sports event.
  • One of the problems we have is that in other countries a majority of the national team will play for the top national league teams. But in the UK most of the best players in the Premier League (the best teams in the world) are foreigners. And so although we have the best football teams we find it hard to form the best national football team. The players aren't used to playing with each other, and so we think that we will do well based on our normal experience of football each week, but then we do badly because the national team is not a team.

Father Peter
  • Dear Zoxsasi,

I will add that the Yankees are God's Team.  You will b taking on a spiritual and religious endeavour.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9411.msg116481#msg116481 date=1279059122]
    Dear Zoxsasi,

I will add that the Yankees are God's Team.  You will b taking on a spiritual and religious endeavour.

you sound like Mina el-es in our church.....he LOVES the yankees
  • Fr. Peter,

Baseball was probably invented by the ancient Egyptians, like most things. :)
  • Fr Peter, the Italian La Liga do also have a higher number of foreigners.For example, Inter Milan has many Brazilian national players,as well as Dutch and Argentines and the team won triple titles in 2010.Despite this fact, the Italians have won 4x the coveted cup .In addition to the foreign players,teams like ManU,Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal have also great players from other parts of the UK ; citizens of the UK,that is. What I think is that, if the UK enters as single team into the tournament,then they will have vast pool of high quality players to choose from. For many years, experts were claiming,Spain never won major tournaments due to high numbers of foreign national players in their best teams like Barca and RM.Such reasoning may be partly true or an excuse to explain the utter failures, but in comparison ,the UK has bigger national football leagues and hence better chances at assembling their finest players. I am not sure, if FIFA rules allow the UK to enter as single team as they do in the Olympics. Better to enter the competition as GB and increase the chances to win than as single entities and either not qualify or go back home empty handed every four years.Only my 2 cents.
  • Hez,

When talking to members of the U.K., it would be 2 pence, not 2 cents.
  • They are thinking of having a maximum % of foreigners allowed in an English premier squad.

Something was wrong with them all. Even Rooney played like he was asleep.

But then, most of the best teams played badly this time round.
  • I think this goes to show that if all the immigrants left England, the UK would stop working.
  • No, I think it would start working again. There would be no more cheap labour, and the millions on benefits would have to start doing jobs they don't necessarily want to.
  • hmm, idealistic perhaps?
    (that's both of u!)
    ;)
  • ahahahaha, I didn't read everything here, but I only like to add, ( I'm from Holland) Holland has got the second place (Silver) and I'm proud to have a country with such good football players, even that they didn't win and didn't get gold, haha, not that I'm a big football fan or something.. i just... oh never mind.. Hup Holland! Yeah!

GB