i hate my voice

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
i hate my voice i only have one pitch and its deeper than a baritone. i would like to say that i am well taught in the hymns but whats the point in continuing in learning if im just going to bore the congregation and probably god himself.  i was going to learn ke eperto this year for holy week but i just kept thinking that my voice sucks and most probably no one would want to hear it so i skipped out on it.

should i just skip out on being a decaon and do a different ministry or continue with this baritone of mine?

and would Experiances In Life by Pope Shenouda III count as a memior? because it could be my summer spiritual book/summer assigment.

Comments

• keep on learning...and when u sing focus on prayer, so when others see u pray, they'll pray!
  • next time i come down there....im gonna beat u.....bro ur voice is deep like mine man people dont like those little skweeky voices the little kids have. We are still growing too so like our voices are deep for now, but later they will lighten up
  • haha usually when we grow up they get deeper
  • [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=9377.msg115782#msg115782 date=1276993241]
    i hate my voice i only have one pitch and its deeper than a baritone. i would like to say that i am well taught in the hymns but whats the point in continuing in learning if im just going to bore the congregation and probably god himself.  i was going to learn ke eperto this year for holy week but i just kept thinking that my voice sucks and most probably no one would want to hear it so i skipped out on it.

should i just skip out on being a decaon and do a different ministry or continue with this baritone of mine?

and would Experiances In Life by Pope Shenouda III count as a memior? because it could be my summer spiritual book/summer assigment.

im not trying to be judgmental or anything, but you should NOT be singing in church for the people!! it doesnt matter what kind of voice you have, everyone has a different voice (mine being the worst by far lol) but seriously, STOP CARING about what people think. no one cares! ONLY GOD CARES!! and God will accept your prayers (hymns) IF you really are praising HIM!! God gave you that voice, so you should be happy to use what He gave you to praise HIM!

sorry if i sound judgmental or anything, but from what you said it seems like you are missing the point of hymns (as many of us do, including myself)...
    please forgive me if i have offended you
    and please pray for me and my weakness
  • no offense taken  :) "Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,But he who hates correction is stupid."
  • God only looks at the heart, not the voice =]
  • i used to hate my voice!
    then i had to record loads of things on a mp3 player so someone could learn english.
    it was really painful for me to do it, but by the end i didn't hate my voice anymore coz i saw how God could use it.
    maybe someone important to u has put the thought in yr mind yr voice is horrible.
    but u r God's creation and so when u praise Him, He thinks yr voice is beautiful.
    so, as others have said, only God's opinion is important. if u obey Him, He fixes the bad ideas in yr head.
  • God cares about whats in ur heart not how well u can sing, im rly sad for u that u missed ke perto. Get to learning it its amazing.

Here is a little story from the desert fathers i think:

There was this group of monks who always prayed tasbha together and one of them had the wrost off tune voice any of them had ever heard, so one day he couldnt make it to tasbeha and they. Were all so so happy that they could pray without his voice. After they finished tasbha an angel appeared to th abbot And said why havent u done a tasbha today? The abbot responded saying we did all our voices were loud and beautiful! He said no, you didnt bec God didnt hear the monk that always sings from his heart!

I ddint get the story perfect but u get the point! So learn and maybe God will change te way ppl percieve your voice or maybe itll get more musical u never know so dont miss out on an amazing chance to learn the beautiful hymns of the coptic church!

God bless
  • thanks for sharing that nice story Christrules, I'm sure we can all benefit from it  :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [quote author=Abounasarecool link=topic=9377.msg115791#msg115791 date=1277004895]
    God only looks at the heart, not the voice =]
  • Let me tell u a story. There used to be three monks that always used to always meet up at one monk's cell, and they just kept praising God and doing tasbeha. The monks didn't have that good of a voice but they still praised god. Then one day, one guest came to the meeting with them. He had an amazing voice so they all got embarrassed and they didn't praise along with him. Then the next meeting they had, an angel appeared. He asked them why they didn't do any tasbeha the night before. They told the angel that they did but it was only the guest that sang. The angel answered them and told them that when they sing, they sing from their hearts so they sound heavenly to God; but the guest that was singing didnt sing from his heart, therefor he was better off not singing.

I hope u get wat I mean and just keep praising God and singing tasbeha. Tasbeha doesn't need vocals, it needs passion and praise. GBU :) 
  • i had a very bad voice but your chat made me learn to sing to god from my heart because god looks to our hearts not our voice at the end we are his creatures and he likes ue the way we are as it is written my son give me your heart.
    thank you for this encouraging chating that benenfited me.
    May God bless you.
  • I have a question... During tasbeha prayers, I usually don't sing along with everybody else, but I still focus on the prayers, what we're singing, etc... is that wrong if you don't feel comfortable merely singing? My bro says it is.
  • It is always, always better to concentrate on the words and make them your own, rather than to sing loudly and tunefully without attention. If you can do both then that is a blessing to be grateful for. You can sing quietly so that you are making a contribution, but we gather to meet God in prayer and worship, not to impress each other. So if, for a variety of reasons, you do not feel able to sing loudly then sing quietly, but in all cases concentrate on the words and make them your own.

Father Peter
  • I agree Father Peter, hymns are actually prayers with a tune.
  • i totally feel you on the baritone voice, abanoub2000 nicknamed me "Thunder" because of my alhan voice haha :D. the important thing is that you are listening to the words and their meanings, my voice is terrible but i thunder it up because i know that god doesn't care.

god bless,
    Chris
  • [quote author=Christrules link=topic=9377.msg115822#msg115822 date=1277099072]
    God cares about whats in ur heart not how well u can sing, im rly sad for u that u missed ke perto. Get to learning it its amazing.

There was this group of monks who always prayed tasbha together and one of them had the wrost off tune voice any of them had ever heard, so one day he couldnt make it to tasbeha and they. Were all so so happy that they could pray without his voice. After they finished tasbha an angel appeared to th abbot And said why havent u done a tasbha today? The abbot responded saying we did all our voices were loud and beautiful! He said no, you didnt bec God didnt hear the monk that always sings from his heart!

Hahaha wow...I didn't see ur post before I posted mine since we have kind of the same stories. Sorry I didn't see that post before lol  And u put the story waaaaaayyyyyyy better than I did. Anyways thx and God bless!

I ddint get the story perfect but u get the point! So learn and maybe God will change te way ppl percieve your voice or maybe itll get more musical u never know so dont miss out on an amazing chance to learn the beautiful hymns of the coptic church!

God bless
  • [quote author=Christrules link=topic=9377.msg115822#msg115822 date=1277099072]
    God cares about whats in ur heart not how well u can sing, im rly sad for u that u missed ke perto. Get to learning it its amazing.

Hahaha wow...I didn't see ur post before I posted mine since we have kind of the same stories. Sorry I didn't see that post before lol  And u put the story waaaaaayyyyyyy better than I did. Anyways thx and God bless!
  • Actually no offense Christrules, but Kirolles's story is more accurate.

Oh btw, I agree with all the responses ;D
  • apparently my head shakes when i sing :/

but one think that helped my voice tremendously was that i started to sing not from my nose or my head, but way down from my stomach and diaphragm. it seems that your voice is naturally low, as is mine. what this does is it takes the low and backs it up with power and support, thus making it more rounded and resonant, instead of trying to compress it and making it sound awful like the other methods do (which is how most people sing).

hope i helped! :D

Chris
  • God does not care at all how your voice sounds like. Did you know that when you pray to God, he silences the cherubim and the seraphim to hear you? God loves it when we talk to Him and praise Him. Don't worry at all about your voice it doesn't even matter. Just focus on glorifying God. :)