what is happening to me?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
It all started one night when i prayed at night and then completed studying and then drifted off to sleep on the bed.
(Im at my appartment alone and im kinda new in this place) Suddenly my eyes where half open cause i could tell...i couldnt open them at all! This Black figure (like a smoke) came from the seiling to the edge of my bed...i tried to move i couldnt...i screamed out jesus several time ( i couldnt scream i was acttually muttering moaning trying to say Jesus) until i could.
Then i was Able to move! and dark figure disappeared.

i ran to my grandfather's house next door...spent the night there.
im terribly frightened after what happened.
i cant sleep in my appartment at all alone.
i keep hearing stuff...and i never feel comfortable at all!

I need to convince myself that i can do all things by faith. I really want to start sleepign again in my house and i want to sleep safely! what should i do guys...i look at myself as a coward in the mirror even though i pray!

Comments

• I think SuperMAN(BAM) can answer you pretty well.. this is his field ;) .. but did you get your apartment midashin by abouna? Also before I sleep, I always put the sign of the cross on the four corners of my room (I saw it in a saint movie when I was a kid and I've been doing it ever since). And finally, try putting your Agpeya beneath your pillow.. it does wonders!

And maybe you were really asleep but it seemed so real that you thought you were awake.
  • I think you should tell abouna
  • there is a true story of a preacher in south england about 100 years ago who was very kind and followed God all the time and had great faith. he suffered for his faith and many people laughed him. also he couldn't make much money as he spent so much time preaching. his name was smith wigglesworth.
    one day he was asleep and was woken up by the sound of banging of chains.
    he opened his eyes and saw satan at the end of his bed. he looked up and said 'oh, it's only you', and went to sleep again! he had such great faith he was not even scared by the devil!

i do not have such great faith, but i do know that God will never allow something to happen that is too hard for us. He always shows us how to cope in every situation. (phillipians 1:6) He always works in us to make us more holy and trust in Him more.

in my own experience, even when i was quite young, i had many visits from evil thoughts and even evil spirits (not the devil himself, i am not important enough!) and each time i learnt to trust God more because although i was scared, actually nothing happened to me. each time i was less scared and trusted God a bit more. i used to think about these experiences a lot and try to understand why they happened, then i learnt that we should not spend so much time thinking about the devil because he is not important. we should instead think about our great Saviour and the love God has shown us and every day read the Bible more and pray from the agpeya and think how we can share our faith with our neighbours.

the more i did this, the more i didn't even remember if i had a bad experience. instead i remembered more that i had a good experience with God, for example in church or when praying with a friend or family member.

in times like these when we are all suffering together with our brothers, it is easy to think about the bad things that are happening and turn our eyes from God who is saving our souls. if we look away from God, we are like saint peter (boutros) who wanted to walk on water, but bacame afraid because he looked at the stormy water instead of looking at Jesus. when he looked at Jesus he stopped sinking.

i say it again, God is saving our souls!
    the enemy (devil) is angry because God's eternal plan for salvation is being carried out and every day people are turning from their sin and other religions and following the creator of the universe, our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. let us find comfort in these words:

romans 8:38-39

'for i am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.'
  • I think SuperMAN(BAM) can answer you pretty well.. this is his field

lol did they tell you I'm a ghost hunter wala 7aga?!

but I will ask you a question, what were you studying? And was it your first time to spend the night there? if not, did anything happen before, maybe not as "big" but anything?!

also how long was this incident... 5 minutes? 2 minutes? or seconds?!

also the figure was made from smoke, well did you smell the smoke, or anything?

when you couldn't open your mouth... was it through the jaw, or was it numbness that even controlled your tongue, and have you ever woken up with such feeling before (talking about the mouth)?

you CANNOT do anything... just know that God is the one in charge, and taking care of all things... you thinking you're a cowered is not KNOWING God is in charge... this could be one of the reasons why you are/will be taunted with such a thing, because yet you are saying God is my strength, but you are still afraid... which by the way is a sin (fear)!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • laa! bas you've done some good work with dreams recently. not that anyone thinks you're a ghost-buster  ;)
  • [quote author=KIMO MAXIMUS link=topic=8671.msg109087#msg109087 date=1263051198]
    It all started one night when i prayed at night and then completed studying and then drifted off to sleep on the bed.
    (Im at my appartment alone and im kinda new in this place) Suddenly my eyes where half open cause i could tell...i couldnt open them at all! This Black figure (like a smoke) came from the seiling to the edge of my bed...i tried to move i couldnt...i screamed out jesus several time ( i couldnt scream i was acttually muttering moaning trying to say Jesus) until i could.

I need to convince myself that i can do all things by faith. I really want to start sleepign again in my house and i want to sleep safely! what should i do guys...i look at myself as a coward in the mirror even though i pray!

I had a similar experience years ago before I was a Baptized Orthodox Christian.
    A sister friend was sleeping over. She was just across the room from me in her bed sleeping soundly and peacefully. I couldn't sleep was tossing and turning. Decided to lie on my stomach. Suddenly I felt this weight on my back! I tryed to move it, tryed to cry out! I looked over my shoulder put could only see darkness! Finally I pushed up with all my strength and managed a moan. The weight on my back got off, I turned quick but could only see like a shadow fleeing through my door that was open a little. My friend just across the room from me was still sleeping soundly! I could not believe I felt like I had been through a great battle and she was still sleeping soundly! I woke her and said did u see anything or hear anything just now? She was upset I woke her and of course she heard and saw nothing!  I do not like to sleep on my stomach anymore and have never experienced anything like that since.
    Thank GOD in CHRIST!!!
  • I heard from the priest at my church that dreams come from 3 different sources. It is either from the devil, your own memory, or from God.  In my own opinion it seems to be that this one was from the devil, trying to tempt you somehow or scare you into weakening your faith to God.  Or maybe you have reacntly seen a horror movie or something.
    But the most important thing to do is to pray. Prayer can comfort you when you feel like you are in trouble and it can put you on a personal level with God. And always remember the Word of God, "DO NOT be afraid, for I am with you." and the Words of out Lord Jesus, "And lo, I am with you ALWAYS, even unto the end of the age."

please pray for me and my weakness

• Your right, of course 'egyboy'!

Someone advised me to talk to JESUS. I said how? They said, "just talk". So I did I used to have long wonderful conversations. Now I know how to pray better. Sometimes I feel a little fearful, but I think it is because of my sins and I know I have displeased GOD and am fearful of HIS wrath. I think I need to find a way to incorporate my 'conversations' with my prayers to have more effect.
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=8671.msg109096#msg109096 date=1263068841]

I think SuperMAN(BAM) can answer you pretty well.. this is his field

lol did they tell you I'm a ghost hunter wala 7aga?!

but I will ask you a question, what were you studying? And was it your first time to spend the night there? if not, did anything happen before, maybe not as "big" but anything?!

also how long was this incident... 5 minutes? 2 minutes? or seconds?!

also the figure was made from smoke, well did you smell the smoke, or anything?

when you couldn't open your mouth... was it through the jaw, or was it numbness that even controlled your tongue, and have you ever woken up with such feeling before (talking about the mouth)?

you CANNOT do anything... just know that God is the one in charge, and taking care of all things... you thinking you're a cowered is not KNOWING God is in charge... this could be one of the reasons why you are/will be taunted with such a thing, because yet you are saying God is my strength, but you are still afraid... which by the way is a sin (fear)!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!

studyign Biology, no maybe my 4th night over there, yes some weird sounds
    the incident lasted around 20 seconds
    no smell of fire or anything, it was like a black blurr to be honest not much of a smoke! but figured into a devil.
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=8671.msg109327#msg109327 date=1263569453]
    [quote author=KIMO MAXIMUS link=topic=8671.msg109087#msg109087 date=1263051198]

I had a similar experience years ago before I was a Baptized Orthodox Christian.
    A sister friend was sleeping over. She was just across the room from me in her bed sleeping soundly and peacefully. I couldn't sleep was tossing and turning. Decided to lie on my stomach. Suddenly I felt this weight on my back! I tryed to move it, tryed to cry out! I looked over my shoulder put could only see darkness! Finally I pushed up with all my strength and managed a moan. The weight on my back got off, I turned quick but could only see like a shadow fleeing through my door that was open a little. My friend just across the room from me was still sleeping soundly! I could not believe I felt like I had been through a great battle and she was still sleeping soundly! I woke her and said did u see anything or hear anything just now? She was upset I woke her and of course she heard and saw nothing!  I do not like to sleep on my stomach anymore and have never experienced anything like that since.
    Thank GOD in CHRIST!!!

:(:( ...i was on my back so i was facing the seiling , no weight on top of me at all el7amdolela! you are porbably more closer to God :)...but the figure disappeared aftr gaining my strength from parlaysis and trying to moan out Jesus!
  • Also id like to add one thing.
    I did return to the house the other day, but didnt decide to sleep there.
    I said that i'd only study there , pray then head back to gran's house.
    After prayer and closing the lights...i heard a very scary sound right beside my Ear, As if the devil  was right behind my back.
    I could say it the devil Cause the Sound was so scarry it made me run to the door and left as soon as possible.
    However when comin to close the door i hvnt seen anything .

I pray and i get attacked :( i wonder whats wrong.
  • Dude thats really crazy and scary...but actually i think alot of this stuff happens to saints...
    u need to like tell your abouna or bishop though, maybe they will have a solution for u =]
    But look at the example of St. Anthony from the synaxarium::
    "The devil fought him there by afflicting him with boredom, laziness, and the phantoms of women. He overcame the devil's snares by the power of Jesus Christ. After that, he went to one of the tombs, and he resided therein and closed the door on himself. Some of his friends used to bring him food. When the devil perceived his ascetic life and his intense wor-ship, he was envious of him, and he beat him mercilessly, then left him unconscious. When his friends came to visit him and found him in this condition, they carried him to the church. After slightly recovering, he went back to the same place. The devil again resumed his war against him, only this time the phantoms were in the form of wild beasts, wolves, lions, snakes and scorpions. They appeared as if they were about to attack him or cut him into pieces. But the saint would laugh them to scorn saying, "If any of you have any authority over me, only one would have been sufficient to fight me." At his saying this, they disappeared as though in smoke. God gave him the victory over the devils. He was always singing this psalm, "Let God arise, let His enemies be scattered; let those also who hate Him flee before Him." (Psalms 68:1)"

Thats amazing...look how the devils appeared to him and all he said was "If any of you have any authority over me, only one would have been sufficient to fight me"
    Keep praying like st. anthony in that room and say - "Let God arise, let His enemies be scattered; let those also who hate Him flee before Him." (Psalms 68:1) =]
    i hope this helps...God be with you. =]

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Woww KIMO MAXIMUS, that's very heavy!
    Rabena yibarkek ya KIMO, God bless u. But never be afraid ya Kimo, the satan is nothing...la takhaf li an
    el mesie7 dayman ma3ak. Devils hate Prayers and the cross, so just keep praying
    like jibrahim23 said, and always put the sign of the Cross, then he will flee. And keep
    watching saint movies, to see how they deal with such problems  ;)

Pray 4 me a lott, and GBU
  • For some reason some people don't like suggestions like this, but here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

This an excerpt from the above article:
    "In addition, the paralysis state may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger. Sleep paralysis is particularly frightening to the individual because of the vividness of such hallucinations. The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful, or dream-like, objects may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for alien abductions and ghostly encounters."

Doesn't that sound like what you described? Especially the fact that you couldn't move in the beginning? I don't know your situation however, its just something to think about. After all, this is reported to be especially common in students (24.1% apparently), and if there is a natural explanation wouldn't you feel safer? Either way, prayer is the best option.

I will add my humble prayers to the rest for you :D

[coptic]mare `vnou] areh `erok maref`cmou pekyi ouoh `n;ok hwk on[/coptic]
    May God guard you, may he bless your house and yourself also

PPFM
  • epchois_nai_nan, Thank u 4 the prayers! The prayer is very beautiful and touching!

I like +marmar+'s actions 4 dealing with such instances....prayer, making the sign of the cross and watching saint movies to see how the ancient and early fathers dealt with such occurances!

Really epchois_nai_nan I do not believe in all that 'intellectual' stuff. I like St. Anthony's style.....he forsook 'higher learning' of the world to understand the true Higher Learning which comes only from serving GOD. The part in his life story that decribes a couple of intellects who came to visit him at a time when he was having doubts about his choice in life to forsake earthly knowledge and go in the wildreness to pray and seek GOD. He found that he had made the right choice when the 'intellectuals' tried to convince him that there was no GOD. He was amazed that these people considered themselves so knowledgable, yet they did not know that GOD existed!

So, thanks again 4 the prayers epchois_nai_nan and I pray 4 u and others that 'intellect' will not take u away from the truth of GOD!!!

GB
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=8671.msg109519#msg109519 date=1264165436]
    For some reason some people don't like suggestions like this, but here it is:

"In addition, the paralysis state may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger. Sleep paralysis is particularly frightening to the individual because of the vividness of such hallucinations. The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful, or dream-like, objects may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for alien abductions and ghostly encounters."

Doesn't that sound like what you described? Especially the fact that you couldn't move in the beginning? I don't know your situation however, its just something to think about. After all, this is reported to be especially common in students (24.1% apparently), and if there is a natural explanation wouldn't you feel safer? Either way, prayer is the best option.

PPFM

This might explain what happened to me at sleep! but then the terrifying sound i heard (beast's sound to be honest) came from where  :-X?
    Anyway like my Brothers and Sisters said, i'll stick to my prayers and get to watch some saint movies as soon as im free.
    Thanks anyway  :)!
    GBU all :)
  • DUDE,

Look up Sleep Paralysis!!! This happened to me several times and I have come to the conclusion it is some form of that. I hope that helps.

C
  • [quote author=KIMO MAXIMUS link=topic=8671.msg109573#msg109573 date=1264315914]
    [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=8671.msg109519#msg109519 date=1264165436]

PPFM

This might explain what happened to me at sleep! but then the terrifying sound i heard (beast's sound to be honest) came from where  :-X?
    Anyway like my Brothers and Sisters said, i'll stick to my prayers and get to watch some saint movies as soon as im free.

KIMO MAXIMUS read St. Anthonys biography. He had all sorts of beasts attack him when Satan got jealous of his purity and sincere worship.
    Have u seen 'Picasso's'  art where he has painted a picture of beasts tormenting his thought?
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=8671.msg109579#msg109579 date=1264349944]
    [quote author=KIMO MAXIMUS link=topic=8671.msg109573#msg109573 date=1264315914]
    [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=8671.msg109519#msg109519 date=1264165436]

PPFM

KIMO MAXIMUS read St. Anthonys biography. He had all sorts of beasts attack him when Satan got jealous of his purity and sincere worship.
    Have u seen 'Picasso's'  art where he has painted a picture of beasts tormenting his thought?

Can you link me to the picture.
  • [quote author=Conqueror link=topic=8671.msg109574#msg109574 date=1264320322]
    DUDE,

Look up Sleep Paralysis!!! This happened to me several times and I have come to the conclusion it is some form of that. I hope that helps.

C

Its seems like there is no cure to it?
    So its only cure is through prayer...i think
  • KIMO MAXIMUS,

Here is the link to the painting called Picasso's Guernica:
    http://www.artchive.com/artchive/p/picasso/guernica.jpg

Oh, also here is the link for St. Anthony's biography:
    http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/vita-antony.html
    The end of verse 42 speaks of demons being like smoke, verse 52 and 53 talks of the 'beasts' attacking him.

It is said that many arists have tried to portray these occurances in paintings, drawings etc.

GB

• Its seems like there is no cure to it?
    So its only cure is through prayer...i think

Maybe you should ask your doctor? Couldn't hurt to mention it and who knows, there might be a cure. Wikipedia is probably not the best place for medical advice :D
  • KIMO,

The story that you recounted is normal. There are evil spritis lurking in the dark and they attack when your faith is weak. Such things happen quite often in places where it had been uninhabited for a long time. When one moves in there,then the kind of experience that you describe are bound to happen.A friend of mine told me that when he was on vacation in Sudan, he stayed in one of his uncles house ( Voodoo people used to rent there) alone for few days.On the 4th day of his stay, in the middle of the dark Sudanese night,while he was sleeping, he began hearing the footsteps of someone walking in the backyard. He woke up to check what was going on,but saw no one.He went back to sleep and he heard the same footsteps again ,but this time the thing was running also.Then in the next room, he heard loud banging of furnitures. Now my friend realised that something was not right and he began shaking and prespiring like hell. He prayed all he could but the event went on until the morning light. When it stopped, he went to the other room to check the level of the destruction. But all was intact and he run out of the house as fast as he could and informed his family members. They all thought he was hallucinating until the same thing, happened again when two of his cousins stayed with him in the house.To cut a long story short,the evil thing disppeared only after His Uncles' wife prayed and sprinkled Holy water around the house.

So ask your mother to do the same for you or have Abouna come and pray. Also take Holy communion regularly . Do not worry about it, just stay strong in your faith and the issue will be resolved. I know what you are talking about and the scientists explanation is ,IMHO, pure junk. You are perfectly healthy.

• [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=8671.msg109656#msg109656 date=1264548353]
    KIMO,

The story that you recounted is normal. There are evil spritis lurking in the dark and they attack when your faith is weak. Such things happen quite often in places where it had been uninhabited for a long time. When one moves in there,then the kind of experience that you describe are bound to happen.A friend of mine told me that when he was on vacation in Sudan, he stayed in one of his uncles house ( Voodoo people used to rent there) alone for few days.On the 4th day of his stay, in the middle of the dark Sudanese night,while he was sleeping, he began hearing the footsteps of someone walking in the backyard. He woke up to check what was going on,but saw no one.He went back to sleep and he heard the same footsteps again ,but this time the thing was running also.Then in the next room, he heard loud banging of furnitures. Now my friend realised that something was not right and he began shaking and prespiring like hell. He prayed all he could but the event went on until the morning light. When it stopped, he went to the other room to check the level of the destruction. But all was intact and he run out of the house as fast as he could and informed his family members. They all thought he was hallucinating until the same thing, happened again when two of his cousins stayed with him in the house.To cut a long story short,the evil thing disppeared only after His Uncles' wife prayed and sprinkled Holy water around the house.

So ask your mother to do the same for you or have Abouna come and pray. Also take Holy communion regularly . Do not worry about it, just stay strong in your faith and the issue will be resolved. I know what you are talking about and the scientists explanation is ,IMHO, pure junk. You are perfectly healthy.

you are totaallly right , i do here soem banging of the furniture usually the wardrobe like 2 am and 3 am in the morning!!...the person who lives right above me is my moms cousin who has word almost every day except friday and she doesnt stay up at night...so i doubt its her whose banging the furniture.

Thank you , il ask abouna to come and sprinkle some holy water around the house :D
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=8671.msg109648#msg109648 date=1264533613]
    KIMO MAXIMUS,

Here is the link to the painting called Picasso's Guernica:
    http://www.artchive.com/artchive/p/picasso/guernica.jpg

Oh, also here is the link for St. Anthony's biography:
    http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/vita-antony.html
    The end of verse 42 speaks of demons being like smoke, verse 52 and 53 talks of the 'beasts' attacking him.

It is said that many arists have tried to portray these occurances in paintings, drawings etc.

GB

thanks a million :D
  • Your welcome a billion  ;D
  • glad u found this, i have it in paper form only, so couldn't share it with you. i read it last week, it is amazing!
    everyone read about the life of saint antony!
  • You may wish to watch this short clip on St Anthony's life narrated from the perspective of the Lebanese Maronite Catholics. What a nice secluded monastery they have.If I am not mistaken, the maronites are the descendants of the original Syrian Orthodox Christians who fled to Lebanon during the Islamic invasion of Syria.

[url= of St. Anthony - Qozhaya Lebanon
  • God bless you, KIMO MAXIMUS.
    Praying for you :)