Is this a sin

edited November 2009 in Personal Issues
Pretending to be an atheist? I'm on this forum where one of the topics is all the Christians and Atheists switch places and ask/answer questions to each other.

Comments

• Hey Sodr2,

If I'm not wrong by pretending being atheist you deny your faith and even Christ for this very little moment. Why would anyone do so?

Matthew 10:33 -> But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

• I don't think it's a sin. You're just doing this for the sake of the discussion.

The same goes for acting; if u have to act like an atheist in a movie or series or whatever while you're a Christian, are you sinning? I think this is comparable, and I think the question to to the hypothetical situation is "no".
  • [quote author=PaNo5 link=topic=8488.msg107666#msg107666 date=1257955038]
    Hey Sodr2,

If I'm not wrong by pretending being atheist you deny your faith and even Christ for this very little moment. Why would anyone do so?

Matthew 10:33 -> But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

it doesnt go that extreme... its just discussions like the problem of evil, burden of proof, morality things like that
  • so essentially your being a devil's advocate???
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=8488.msg107671#msg107671 date=1257962936]
    so essentially your being a devil's advocate???

thats what the thread is called lol
  • I agree with Aegyptian!
  • Ya I also agree with Aegyptian. You are not denying your faith, just taking a different perspective for the sake of discussion. So don't worry :)
  • It is well known in social psychology that you can persuade yourself to believe in what you argue (a concept of behavior creating attitude).
    When it comes to philosophy and religion, this doesn't work.
    I wouldn't be surprised if some phD social psychologist is behind all this.
    Be careful with this stuff.
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=8488.msg107665#msg107665 date=1257953435]
    Pretending to be an atheist? I'm on this forum where one of the topics is all the Christians and Atheists switch places and ask/answer questions to each other.

you are doing critical thinking and looking at both sides of the arguements
  • [quote author=davidschanter link=topic=8488.msg107767#msg107767 date=1258338033]
    It is well known in social psychology that you can persuade yourself to believe in what you argue (a concept of behavior creating attitude).
    When it comes to philosophy and religion, this doesn't work.
    I wouldn't be surprised if some phD social psychologist is behind all this.
    Be careful with this stuff.

Yes that's true, but sodr2 as long as you know what you (our religion) believes you should be fine. But yes, do be careful.
  • I don't understand.

Can't you tell both views? It's sort of hard to portray a different belief (accurately)...

Aethists can't tell the Christian side of things without finding out about our beliefs... but there is no
    church of aethists. So, really, you're at a disadvantage-- you have no reliable source to look up!

As such, you can't portray "no" belief. A contrast would be better?