How come we do 12 More Kirie Eleysons to the East on Good Friday?

pp
edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
(The question is self-explanatory).

Comments

• I'm pretty sure it goes as followed:
    100 east
    100 west
    100 south
    100 north
    50 east extra in the honor of St. Mary
    ----
    450 kyrie elesons all in all
    **please correct me if I'm wrong
  • I was under the impression it is only 100 in each direction; no extras...
  • tradition is the 100 in each direction, any thing else is just added by the priests or deacons of that particular church, from what i understand every church has their own little extra prostrations that they add at the end. So your church just probably added their own extra as well which is the 12 more to the east.
  • [quote author=bayonnecopt link=topic=6520.msg86251#msg86251 date=1209307136]
    tradition is the 100 in each direction, any thing else is just added by the priests or deacons of that particular church, from what i understand every church has their own little extra prostrations that they add at the end. So your church just probably added their own extra as well which is the 12 more to the east.

this is what's right. this is what is written in the books.
  • hello,
    sorry for diverting from the original question..
    but, y do we do the 400 [coptic]kurie eleycon[/coptic]?
    wat do they represent or symbolize?

thanx
    pls keep my weakness in ur prayers
    -sister in Christ
  • It is said that the 400 are for the centurion who said that Jesus "truly is the Son of God". I am not sure if it is true, but it's what I heard.
  • [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=6520.msg86279#msg86279 date=1209347842]
    hello,
    sorry for diverting from the original question..
    but, y do we do the 400 [coptic]kurie eleycon[/coptic]?
    wat do they represent or symbolize?

thanx
    pls keep my weakness in ur prayers
    -sister in Christ

it's a declartion to the whole world, four corners of the earth (north south east west), of the salvation of Jesus CHrist. and what a better phrase than asking God to have mercy, or showing how He did have mercy by His death.
  • We do say 12 in the East, after the four hundred... in long tune while the deacons do the zafa..

We used to do the fifty for St Mary too, but they changed that a few years ago because we should be focussing on the suffereings of Christ.

+ God Bless.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6520.msg86300#msg86300 date=1209392818]
    We do say 12 in the East, after the four hundred... in long tune while the deacons do the zafa..

oh..yeah...but i don't consider those as part of the 400 because those are for the zaffa. also they are not only twelve, you can keep going untill you are finished, in the altar wher u'd start gholghotha.
  • hmm.. it said in the book 12. Anyway, obvously they are not part of the 400 as they are said after the four hundred are completed. :P
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6520.msg86305#msg86305 date=1209396168]
    hmm.. it said in the book 12. Anyway, obvously they are not part of the 400 as they are said after the four hundred are completed. :P

well yeah. but what if you are in a church like mine where the church is full (even thoo we had 2 dafnas), and there are a lot of deacons, people are of course taking the blessing of the icons. so you can't just do 12 kerie leisons, than start gholghotha when zaffa is not done!!!!
  • Yeah I know what you mean... I was just quoting the source of my information. I was talking about "The Rite of Passion Week"...
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=6520.msg86307#msg86307 date=1209397293]
    [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6520.msg86305#msg86305 date=1209396168]
    hmm.. it said in the book 12. Anyway, obvously they are not part of the 400 as they are said after the four hundred are completed. :P

well yeah. but what if you are in a church like mine where the church is full (even thoo we had 2 dafnas), and there are a lot of deacons, people are of course taking the blessing of the icons. so you can't just do 12 kerie leisons, than start gholghotha when zaffa is not done!!!!

oh i see...isnt it a bit like during normal mass when we say keryielysoun while abouna is choosing el 7amal..i noticed sometimes they finish quick and dont say the 41???
  • I've always wondered  why we say 100 in every direction? What is special about the number? What does it symbolize?
  • 100 in numerolgy, like 10, 7 and 3 symbolises perfection or eternity - thus we are eternally asking God to have mercy upon us.

pray for me

joe
  • In addittion to what joe said, we do it in all four directions as people have stated already on this thread that it shows that salvation was given to the four corners of the earth and not just a select people. Complete Salvation in other words
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6520.msg86622#msg86622 date=1209752003]
    100 in numerolgy, like 10, 7 and 3 symbolises perfection or eternity - thus we are eternally asking God to have mercy upon us.

pray for me

joe

^thats useful, thnx 4 sharing joe!
  • thanx guys for ur answers
    it now makes sense

GBU
    pp4me
  • So Churches don't need to do any more other than the 400, right?
    Sorry, I am a bit slow at this stuff.
  • No they don't have to.
  • Wait but in the book it says that you have to do 12 more to the east. Doesn't it?
  • What book Christ4life? The rites says no more than 400 is necessary.
  • But we must do more, for the zafa... !

• [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6520.msg86750#msg86750 date=1209979352]
    But we must do more, for the zafa... !

hmm.....must is a great word....i don;t think you are in authority to say that.
  • the zafa is not part of the 400 at all
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6520.msg86757#msg86757 date=1209997310]
    the zafa is not part of the 400 at all

Precisely.
  • I know.
    We do them after the 400...

[quote author=minagir link=topic=6520.msg86755#msg86755 date=1209994884]
    [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6520.msg86750#msg86750 date=1209979352]
    But we must do more, for the zafa... !

hmm.....must is a great word....i don;t think you are in authority to say that.

Say what? That we must say kerielaysons in the zafaa? Or tha the zafa happens right after the 400 kerielaysons?
    None of this is comming from me... I'm not making up church rules. It's just how things are... We say more kerielaysons after the 400, whether that be 12 according to the book, or more.
  • guys don't get caught up on the #'s, say you are in a small church and you finish the zafa before the 12 kyrie eleisons, should you still say kyrie eleison while the burial is going on? Of course not. You stop saying kyrie eleison and go straight to Golgotha. and vice versa, if you are in a huge church you don't just stop at 12 and start Golgotha before the burial begins. Try to focus on how powerful the words Kyrie Eleison mean while going around the church asking God to have mercy on us and not the #.  Same with Golgotha
  • hmm..i get how it works now ^