20 Most Influentual Copts of All Time

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi All,

I would like to do a study on the most influential Copts of all time and I could very much use your help!  If you would like to be part of this project, please send me a list, ranking in order, the Copts who have had the greatest impact/influence over you.  The list can contain any number of people.  Please do not reply to this post, but send your list to [email protected].  You can also explain why you chose the people you chose, but this is not required.

Thank you!

Comments

• St. Athanasios the Great and St. Cyril the Great should certainly rank #1 and #2
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5768.msg77190#msg77190 date=1190216857]
    St. Athanasios the Great and St. Cyril the Great should certainly rank #1 and #2

Anba Boulis and Anba Antonios Morkos: Evangelisation and Spread of Christianity in all of Africa
  • well, mostly every coptic influenced me, but im just going to mention two, St Athanasius and St Abraam. ( teh friend of the poor! )
  • So hard this one - but St. Cyril the Great and St. Athansius for me - with St. Dioscoros in a special position.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • More recent times:

- Archdeacon Habeb Gerges
    - Pope Cyril IV (father of restoration)

Also, for the keeping of our hymns the following two person were extremely important:
    -Cantor Mikhael the Great
    -Mr Ragheb Moftah
    (And also Pope Cyril IV, he was the one who started a project of collecting and passing on the hymns)
  • Well St Mark was the founder of our Church so he would have to be at the top.. Then, call me biased, but Baba Kyrillos (VI) and Baba Shenouda (III) should be somewhere on the list. The Church enjoyed a renaissance of sorts under Baba Kyrillos, and under Baba Shenouda it has flourished to a new level as well..

Matt
  • [quote author=matt88 link=topic=5768.msg77212#msg77212 date=1190242153]
    Well St Mark was the founder of our Church so he would have to be at the top.

St. Mark the Evangelist and Apostle was not a Copt (Egyptian). He was a Jew, born in Jerusalem.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5768.msg77214#msg77214 date=1190242407]
    [quote author=matt88 link=topic=5768.msg77212#msg77212 date=1190242153]
    Well St Mark was the founder of our Church so he would have to be at the top.

St. Mark the Evangelist and Apostle was not a Copt (Egyptian). He was a Jew, born in Jerusalem.

Of course he can. In fact he is more qualified to be called a Copt than we are. He founded the Church of Copts, therefore, he is considered a Copt. He is considered the first Coptic pope. He is definitely a Copt. Also, it does not matter about your background. What matters is if they baptized you in the Coptic Church or not and that determines a Copt (except for St. Mark because he is the founder of the Church). That is just like saying the founder of McDonald's doesn't work at McDonald's because he came from Burger King. Sorry to mention this online, but it is an unfair and unjust assumption.
  • [move]Saint Anthony would have to be up there somewhere.[/move]
  • St Anthony the Great and then Pope Athansius
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5768.msg77190#msg77190 date=1190216857]
    St. Athanasios the Great and St. Cyril the Great should certainly rank #1 and #2

Orthodox11,
    The lady who is asking this question has asked us specifically not to reply to this post, but to email her with the answers.

We all followed u Orthodox11, and have replied to this post. The only person who was paying attention was Kerestina. Well done Kerestina for not replying to this post.

However, i'd like to say a few words:

It would be very very hard for people to send private emails. It is therefore best to reply to this post.

Well done Orthodox11 in thinking ahead and replying to this post. It is obvious that no one will send an email from our personal email accounts to anyone on the internet. Perhaps Kerestina has sent a mail? I'm not sure.

God bless
  • Pope Shenouda, Anba Athanasious, My Parents (really brilliant Coptic Christians), my sister (very good coptic christian), her kids (the cutest coptic christians in Western Europe)
  • [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5768.msg77236#msg77236 date=1190260098]
    He founded the Church of Copts, therefore, he is considered a Copt.

The word Copt means Egyptian. St. Mark founded the Church in Egypt, but that does not make him a Copt.

St. Peter was not a Roman nor Syrian, St. Thomas was not an Indian, St. Andrew was not a Greek, St. Mark was not a Copt.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5768.msg77254#msg77254 date=1190293294]
    [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5768.msg77236#msg77236 date=1190260098]

The word Copt means Egyptian. St. Mark founded the Church in Egypt, but that does not make him a Copt.

St. Peter was not a Roman nor Syrian, St. Thomas was not an Indian, St. Andrew was not a Greek, St. Mark was not a Copt.

I think what he means is Saint Mark founded the Coptic Orthodox Church.
    So, Saint Mark himself wasn't egyptian. That's true. I guess one doesnt have to be egyptian to be Coptic Orthodox.
  • Thats true Orthodox11. Coptic means Egyptian Christian, right? St Mark was not Egyptian. But he was orthodox.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5768.msg77242#msg77242 date=1190284160]

Orthodox11,
    The lady who is asking this question has asked us specifically not to reply to this post, but to email her with the answers.

We all followed u Orthodox11, and have replied to this post. The only person who was paying attention was Kerestina. Well done Kerestina for not replying to this post.

It would be very very hard for people to send private emails. It is therefore best to reply to this post.

Well done Orthodox11 in thinking ahead and replying to this post. It is obvious that no one will send an email from our personal email accounts to anyone on the internet. Perhaps Kerestina has sent a mail? I'm not sure.

God bless

if i am correct in saying so...my name was mentioned three times in this post..which thus poses the question why?.... clearly this QT_PA_2T fella is a peculiar one....so what's with all the attention ur giving me, does ur wife read these forums?......
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5768.msg77257#msg77257 date=1190295151]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5768.msg77242#msg77242 date=1190284160]

Orthodox11,

God bless

if i am correct in saying so...my name was mentioned three times in this post..which thus poses the question why?.... clearly this QT_PA_2T fella is a peculiar one....so what's with all the attention ur giving me, does ur wife read these forums?......

God gave you a mind Kerestina, no matter how limited it is, use it.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5768.msg77258#msg77258 date=1190297552]

obvioulsy ur mind wasnt utilised in forming ur response....using my response to u in a previous thread against me here is CLEARLY very clever....
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5768.msg77259#msg77259 date=1190298647]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5768.msg77258#msg77258 date=1190297552]

obvioulsy ur mind wasnt utilised in forming ur response....using my response to u in a previous thread against me here is CLEARLY very clever....

[quote author=kerestina link=topic=5768.msg77259#msg77259 date=1190298647]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5768.msg77258#msg77258 date=1190297552]

Someone defined 'Intelligence' is the ability to express oneself without offending others.

I see that definition doesnt apply to you then, nor to the previous thread where u attacked me in?

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5768.msg77260#msg77260 date=1190298995]
    Someone defined 'Intelligence' is the ability to express oneself without offending others.

I see that definition doesnt apply to you then, nor to the previous thread where u attacked me in?

its callled contructive criticism..take it in and move on

i'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks on you hahahahaahha
    chillax ur pants bro, why do u wanna be a hater?
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5768.msg77261#msg77261 date=1190299588]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5768.msg77260#msg77260 date=1190298995]

its callled contructive criticism..take it in and move on

i'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks on you hahahahaahha
    chillax ur pants bro, why do u wanna be a hater?

No no.. i don't hate u, it was constructive criticism also: intelligence is the ability to express oneself without offending others.

Take it and move on.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5768.msg77263#msg77263 date=1190299889]

No no.. i don't hate u, it was constructive criticism also: intelligence is the ability to express oneself without offending others.

Take it and move on.

take ur own advice or constructive suggestions and i dont care if u hate me
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

At the request of a certain someone (who shall remain nameless), I have taken it upon myself to respond to this thread.  All I want to say is:

NANEE NANEE BOO BOO!

:D

Now, a serious contribution.  I would like to add Abouna Matta El-Meskeen (Matthew the Poor) to the list so far, if for nothing else then his book Orthodox Prayer Life: The Interior Way.  It is truly a phenomenal book, one that everyone who is serious about their prayer life should read.
  • Can that book be found on www.orthodoxbookstore.org ?

You can find it here.
  • Thanks much appreciated
  • I said that St. Mark was a Copt[quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5768.msg77254#msg77254 date=1190293294]
    [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5768.msg77236#msg77236 date=1190260098]

When I said that he was a Copt, I meant that he stood by all of the beliefs and doctrines of which our Church still holds until today.

And even so, true he was a Jew, but he was not born in Jerusalem or even in Asia, he was born in North Africa. This is aside to the point because it does not matter where you are born for you to be a Copt (a non-Coptic bride with a Coptic groom, bride must be baptized in the Coptic Church). So really it does not matter where you are born to be a Copt, all what matters is that you are either one of the two things
    1) Have a rank in the Church
    2) Baptized in the Coptic Church or any Orthodox Church
    What would you call the Muslims in Egypt...Copts?
  • st peter the seal of martyrs, st steven, st. mary, st mark, st john chrsystom,
  • How could I forget about Master Origen, he was DEFINETELY one of the most influental copts of all time regarding theology and bible studies!