20 Most Influentual Copts of All Time

2»

Comments

• st peter the seal of martyrs, st steven, st. mary... they definitely were not copts.. but they were orthodox...
    they mosty had nothing to do with Egypt. But St Mary visited it.. Is St John Chrysostom a copt?

• [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5768.msg77346#msg77346 date=1190346552]
    2) Baptized in the Coptic Church or any Orthodox Church

Armenians are not Copts, Syrians are not Copts, etc. The idea that any Orthodox person can be considered a "Copt" is quite simply wrong.

What would you call the Muslims in Egypt...Copts?

Islam came into Egypt via the Arabs. Arabs are not Copts.
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=5768.msg77355#msg77355 date=1190369145]
    Is St John Chrysostom a copt?

No. St. John Chrysostsom was a Greek born in Antioch who later became Archbishop of Constantinople.
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=5768.msg77355#msg77355 date=1190369145]
    st peter the seal of martyrs, st steven, st. mary... they definitely were not copts.. but they were orthodox...
    they mosty had nothing to do with Egypt. But St Mary visited it.. Is St John Chrysostom a copt?

St Peter the seal of martyrs was a copt! And not just any copt, he was Our LEADER!! He was a Pope !!! :D
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5768.msg77387#msg77387 date=1190448115]
    [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=5768.msg77355#msg77355 date=1190369145]
    st peter the seal of martyrs, st steven, st. mary... they definitely were not copts.. but they were orthodox...

St Peter the seal of martyrs was a copt! And not just any copt, he was Our LEADER!! He was a Pope !!! :D

Yes!! You're right!! How can you say he was not Coptic? In fact, one of his disciples was Pope Alexader (or Alexandros) who later who bring with him to the Council of Nicaea St. Athanasius (I think so... I heard this story from a priest so I'm pretty sure).

On the list: St. Athansius, St. Cyril, St. Antony, St. Dioscorous, Pope Shenouda III, probably one of the most loved Copts alive today...
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5768.msg77359#msg77359 date=1190379792]
    [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5768.msg77346#msg77346 date=1190346552]
    2) Baptized in the Coptic Church or any Orthodox Church

Armenians are not Copts, Syrians are not Copts, etc. The idea that any Orthodox person can be considered a "Copt" is quite simply wrong.

What would you call the Muslims in Egypt...Copts?

Islam came into Egypt via the Arabs. Arabs are not Copts.

If you get married to any Orthodox person (EO or OO), they do not need to be baptized again in the Coptic Church. I never considered an Orthodox person to be a Copt, I just meant to say that if there is a Copt and another Orthodox person (not Copt), they could get married without the Orthodox person getting baptized. Why do you think that we can partake of the Communion of any OO Church? You said that

St. Mark the Evangelist and Apostle was not a Copt (Egyptian).

That means that any Egyptian (in your opinion) is considered a Copt. Consider the fact that only 10% of Egypt is Copts and the other 90% are Muslims. Once Muslim descendants are born in Egypt, then they would fit perfectly to your definition of "Copt".
  • My opinion of SOME the most influential Copts are: St. Mark the Evangelist, St. Bishoy the Perfect Man, St. Anthony, St. Paul the Hermit, St. Samaan the Tanner, St. Moses the Black, St. Athanasius the Apostolic, St. Cyril the Great, Pope Cyril VI, Pope Shenouda III, H.G. Bishop Boulos, H.G. Bishop Antonious Markos, St. Severus, St. Dioscorus, St. Cyril IV, St. Cyril V, my great-grandmother (God rest her soul), St. Peter the Seal of Martyrs, St. Basil, and St. Gregory (not listed in any specific order).
  • Orthodox11, I was wrong about the physites. The OO Church was considered a Monophysite by the Chalcedonian Council, while they believed that they were Miaphysite. Nestorianism was Dyophysite.