Baralex?

pp
edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
What does "baralex" mean and when do we sing it in the liturgy? Also, if you can, please post a recording of one.

Comments

• [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5592.msg74678#msg74678 date=1184970221]
    What does "baralex" mean and when do we sing it in the liturgy? Also, if you can, please post a recording of one.

i can't get u the exact meaning now but an example is like Apenshois of lent, the 3rd part of Pi-epnevma, and other parts of many other hymns.
  • But how do you sing a baralex of a saint or an angel?
  • [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5592.msg74703#msg74703 date=1185054890]
    But how do you sing a baralex of a saint or an angel?

same way...

like [coptic]Aly;oc gar[/coptic] in [coptic]`Apekran [/coptic]
  • But what is the tune of a baralex for an angel or a saint. Is it like [coptic]Apen[oic[/coptic] or is it like [coptic]Pi`pneuma[/coptic]?
  • [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5592.msg74733#msg74733 date=1185142376]
    But what is the tune of a baralex for an angel or a saint. Is it like [coptic]Apen[oic[/coptic] or is it like [coptic]Pi`pneuma[/coptic]?

Niether but like [coptic]Aly;oc gar[/coptic] and [coptic]`Apekran[/coptic] like mina said

• [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5592.msg74733#msg74733 date=1185142376]
    But what is the tune of a baralex for an angel or a saint. Is it like [coptic]Apen[oic[/coptic] or is it like [coptic]Pi`pneuma[/coptic]?

yah habibi that's the tune. maybe apinshois is a little diffrent.

are u asking for the tune or for a hymn?!
  • Mina,

Do you have a recording of a baralex on your computer? If you do, can you please post it up on this forum? And by the way, I was looking for a recording of a hymn.
  • [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5592.msg74737#msg74737 date=1185149624]
    Mina,

Do you have a recording of a baralex on your computer? If you do, can you please post it up on this forum? And by the way, I was looking for a recording of a hymn.

the link below of Apikran is a sample of a paralex. now which hymn are u tring to find exactly?
  • Paralexis is a greek word consisting of 2 words: para and lexis
    Para can mean beside or extra, and a lot of other things (like in the terms paralympics or parasol).
    Lexis is something written (like in the word Lexicon).

So a Paralexis means something like a written explanation or extension of a hymn. The coptic word "lobsh" (meaning explanation) could be concidered as the equivalent.
    Paralexis is not a specific hymn, nor a specific tune. It's just a term for the extension or explanation of a hymn.

Like mina pointed out the first part of the hymn piepnevma is the actual hymn (ie The Holy Spirit descended and the apostles spoke in different languages), and the rest of the hymn (the paralexis) gives deeper meaning and details of the events on Pentecost (ie they were gathered together and heard a sound, the Spirit came and filled them with wisdom and they all spoke according to the will of the Spirit).

I hope this helped.
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=5592.msg74753#msg74753 date=1185188176]
    Paralexis is a greek word consisting of 2 words: para and lexis
    Para can mean beside or extra, and a lot of other things (like in the terms paralympics or parasol).
    Lexis is something written (like in the word Lexicon).

So a Paralexis means something like a written explanation or extension of a hymn. The coptic word "lobsh" (meaning explanation) could be concidered as the equivalent.
    Paralexis is not a specific hymn, nor a specific tune. It's just a term for the extension or explanation of a hymn.

Like mina pointed out the first part of the hymn piepnevma is the actual hymn (ie The Holy Spirit descended and the apostles spoke in different languages), and the rest of the hymn (the paralexis) gives deeper meaning and details of the events on Pentecost (ie they were gathered together and heard a sound, the Spirit came and filled them with wisdom and they all spoke according to the will of the Spirit).

I hope this helped.

We should make an Orthodox Discovery Channel, you , Minagir, and Knfoc and present the show!!!
  • LOL u crack me up. Maybe we can give you a comedy show inbetween the episodes ;D
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=5592.msg74755#msg74755 date=1185189724]
    LOL u crack me up. Maybe we can give you a comedy show inbetween the episodes ;D

Ya 3afreet enta!!! Keda bardooo!!!!
    Toz!! and double Tozzz
  • Mina and Hos Erof, I am looking for a tune of a Baralex for a saint.
  • [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5592.msg74825#msg74825 date=1185328644]
    Mina and Hos Erof, I am looking for a tune of a Baralex for a saint.

which exactly. actually most of them u say [coptic]`Apekran [/coptic]
    that's for saint, more towards fathers like St. Antony, St. Paul, and many more monks, bishops and fathers.
  • St. Mark's
  • [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5592.msg74830#msg74830 date=1185334627]
    St. Mark's

ok. now there is one specific hymn that i got from Hos erof which i think is in the ma'ahd book but i never heard it recorded.
    it's here: [coptic]`Aroge patyr cwtyr `ymwn[/coptic]

the first part, if am not mistaken is greek. as i said, i don't know if there is a source for this hymn.

but if u really want to say somthing for St. Mark. u can maybe, say Ondos. not this is a little controversial but i think we said it in our church once. with the his part at the end.

Also u can say [coptic]`Apekran [/coptic] . He is the father of those saints rit...

also why would u leave all the tamageed hymns, and than try to find another unknown hymn to chant.
  • Do you know a website where these Baralexises are recorded?
  • [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5592.msg74851#msg74851 date=1185392602]
    Do you know a website where these Baralexises are recorded?

hmmm. like i said, most of the saints hymns that we have  don't have any recordings. but most of the hymns, as i have heard others, can be put on the tune of Etav ennieskhai. atleast the first part. than the paralex is the normal tune as i told u.