How do we live in the World and not let the World live inside us?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I just want an answer to this question..most of us think it is easy..go to church..read in the bible..do all kinds of good deeds and that's it
blieve me..it is not that easy..so i just want an answer..we r not saints? r we?

Comments

• I think Eriny is wondering how we can live in the world, but not let the world posses us, or let the world be of such importance to us that it dominates over us more than God. Correct me if i'm mistaking....

Matthew 16:26 - For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

James 4:4 - Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

1 John 2:15 - Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

1 John 2:16 - For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

it seems that we should stay with God and keep him in our harts, so that he may rule our harts and take the place of God.

blieve me..it is not that easy..so i just want an answer..we r not saints? r we?

We aren't saints, but we should try to be, not through our own strenght, because we cant do anything without Christ. An important thing therefore is that we should not rely on ourselves, becaus we will fail then, we are weak, but God can help us.

Matthew 5:48 - Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me
  • [quote author=Hos irof link=board=1;threadid=588;start=0#msg9999 date=1094040587]Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me

strengtheneth??!!!

lol
  • KJV, i dont know all those english bibles, i read the dutch one lol ???

here u go

http://bibleontheweb.com

• "That you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world" Philippians 2:15

"They are not of the world just as I am not of the world" John 17:16

-"If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because YOU ARE NOT OF THE WORLD, but I chose you out of the world, therefore THE WORLD HATES YOU" John 15:19

"In the world you will have tribulation; BUT BE OF GOOD CHEER I HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD" John 16:33

How do we live in the World and not let the World live inside us?

Keep God always in your heart...and if you do so..and fill your heart completely with Him...then nothing else in this world should matter..the world is passing away and all its lusts..our days on earth are limited..but our days in eternity are unlimited..so follow Him and walk in His footsteps and He will abide you and will never leave you. Remember that even if we do live in this world, we are not of this world...but wherever we are..we have to remember that we are God's children..so we shouldnt let anything separate us from Christ....
  • thank you princess Mary
  • well...I understand all what you saying but we are human beings, we get angry...we hate sometimes, we have an unstabel feelings, we are not saints (i am not saying we can't be, we can but that requires aloooooooooooooot of work)? so can sombody tell me how can we come over all these stuff? even if GOD lives inside us we still come back to do some more sins.
  • a friend once told me:
    take a look at your life...
    if its easy...ur going the wrong way.
    if it is hard and painfilled...ur on the right track

so its more of what ur feeling then what ur doing

if u feel that reading the bible every night is a big task for u, then do it diligently and with meaning.
    then u are a saint.

god wants u to try, he understands that we are sinful and that we fall, whats important is that we repent and try.

now in order to not let the world get to u u must stay away from the world, abuna abdil massih pretended he was crazy bc the world was chasing after him so he decided to create a barrier anyway that he can.

so do the same, u dont need to act crazy but keep the world at arms length, dont let it crawl up on u, and if u feel that theres something that is in ur way take it away from u just as jesus told us.
    Ïf ur right hand causes u to sin cut it off"

that"is also y people become monks and nuns, to keep the world out of the way of getting to god.
  • I agree...

the main point of doing all these deeds and going to church is not to show others how religious we are, but to improve the way we feel about our lives. An example of what i'm talking about is when u donate, you try not to show it to the world! We only do these things so that we may praise the Lord, and so that the Lord may bless us in all that we do. We all know that we are sinners, and no one of us is perfect except for God...so we try to come closer to God so that He may bless us in all that we do. And if your life is filled with heartache and pain along this path, then u DEFINETLY know that you're going on the right track...

...cause after all, didn't Jesus have to go through hard times too?

PRAY!
  • all it is ,is faith if you truly believe than you'll have the strength to go to church pray and read the bible just have alot of faith
  • :)

One must remember that the natural world,Gods beautiful creation,is good! God made it ,and declared it "GOOD".The "world" that is bad is the Satanically inspired "world order" i.e. "the lust of the eyes","the pride of life",etc.Its that corruption that permeats all aspects of human life.The desire to be wealthier,more beautiful,stronger,more powerful,etc. than your fellow human being.The desire to gain pre-eminence over others no matter what the cost,no matter who's hurt in the process,just as long as all your needs and desires are met and satisfied.This is the pride of life.The love of the "world". A fire set forth from Hell.

We are called,by the grace of God,to take a different path.To walk as our Lord walked;humbly,trusting in our Heavenly Father,relying on the power of the Holy Spirit,in all holiness,obedience,and righteousness,which are the gift of God,the birthright of the children of Light.
  • The world is such a complicated place, and often humans get lost, and they get lost because they forget GOD. Creation in itself is not evil, (as jfranklin has mentioned) but the devil takes the world, and preverses it into something discusting and evil, as christians we should always keep christ and God at our right hand, and keep him informed of every aspect in our lives! just talk to him tell him you had a bad day, tell him you have porblems and need soloutions, and ask him to keep the evils and uglies of the preverse nation, out of your heart and mind, thourgh God you can build a defenisve wall that protects you from all evil, and ugliness.

Live with christ in the world, if christ lives in you, then the evils and ugliness of the world, have no room, it has no place, because God has filled this place, and he repels all uglies and evils. so much of the time we forget God the devil takes this chance to fill our minds and hearts with evil, because we have let down our wall, but if we always remember gods precense in our lives, our defences are always fortified and fighting!

the world cannot live in you, if christ lives in you!

Maria
  • i'm not sure if someone already said this or not, so forgive me for any repetition...

in the mass, shortly before taking Communion, abouna says 'the Holies for the Holy...'
    who is he refering to when he says 'for the Holy'? it's those who are taking Communion- namely, us.
    when we take Communion, we are cosidered Holy, though we are unworthy of it. and when we take Communion, our Lord abides in us and is in us. when He is in us, there's no room for the evil of the world.
    its not as simple as just fasting and praying (although, those are very powerful tools) and such, but living in the world and not being of it is at our fingertips and on the alter. if we fill up our lives with God and His word, there is no room for the world in us, because we cant have both God and the world in our hearts.
    confession and taking communion are sacred sacraments- and are a great tool to use when trying to keep the world out of us.

my 0.5 cents on this matter....

take care and God bless
  • so much of the time we forget God the devil takes this chance to fill our minds and hearts with evil, because we have let down our wall, but if we always remember gods precense in our lives, our defences are always fortified and fighting!

the world cannot live in you, if christ lives in you!

Awesome words! Wow! I love your analogy comparing our lives to fortified camps.We're always at war with the Devil arent we. Lets keep our guard up! I love the way you say it:"our defences are always fortified and fighting". Since I enjoy military history that really strikes a chord with me.Well done! :)
  • Hey CrazyCopt,

Since you were wondering who said that previously...it was you!

It's actually one of my favorite parts of the Divine Liturgy. My reposed FOC, Fr. Gabriel, used to chant it in the most beautiful way and make that one phrase resonate for a while to remind everyone of their role and the Holy they are accepting. It was purely enchanting to be wrestled from the hold of the world and to be placed in the very soft palm of Our Lord.

• [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=board=1;threadid=588;start=15#msg19392 date=1106965928]
    It's actually one of my favorite parts of the Divine Liturgy. My reposed FOC, Fr. Gabriel, used to chant it in the most beautiful way and make that one phrase resonate for a while to remind everyone of their role and the Holy they are accepting.

sounds like quite a priest you had there!

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=board=1;threadid=588;start=15#msg19392 date=1106965928]
    It was purely enchanting to be wrestled from the hold of the world and to be placed in the very soft palm of Our Lord.

nicely said!
    .... the wonderful mysteries of the liturgy...!! :)
  • Awesome words! Wow! I love your analogy comparing our lives to fortified camps.We're always at war with the Devil arent we. Lets keep our guard up! I love the way you say it:"our defences are always fortified and fighting". Since I enjoy military history that really strikes a chord with me.Well done! :)

i am glad something i said, made sense, and i am glad that it struck a chord, you always hope, something you said might strike a chord, a first for me, so YAY! thank you for ur kind words!

This thread is awsom!

Maria
  • :)

a first for me,

It certainly wasnt the first! You say so many good things!God's given you much wisdom and I enjoy reading all your posts.Almost all your writings strike a "chord" in one way or another.Keep up the good work! ;)
  • :) hehe..not much more i can say but thank you!
  • the world is full of many different things. Yes its hard to stay focused sumtimes because of all the tempations we can easily fall into but if we stay ahead of the game and always put our lives in the hands of God then we will never be caught in the world. We simply live our lives like Jesus told us to. That doesn't mean we have to be perfect but it means that we live humbly and we always keep our minds straight and hearts with God
  • ahhh sylvia welcom ehh, i got you hooked didnt i, lol you are gunna love it here then you will understand me desire to be on the computer for ohh so long, plus this reduces the fights we have over it ! anyways welcom, and great words kiddo who knew so much wisdom was there ;) :-* he he!

Maria