Nagging Parents

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
When my mom starts nagging I go absolutely crazy it is probably one of the few things that set me off. How do i control myself from talking back and starting an argument?

Comments

• Count from 1 to 3 before you answer, and shoot a small arrow prayer.
    But a long term solution would be to actually open up and discuss what you see as nagging, and tell her that it sets you off. That you don't mean to go crazy, but you just get annoyed from her way of nagging. Parents can be really understanding, like sometimes ::) and all it might take is to communicate towards eachother the things that upset you.
  • Yea normal parents can be understanding but we're talking about Hard-headed Egyptians here lol
  • For just one day why not try doing everything she asks as soon as she asks, and even think of the things that you know she will ask you to do and do them before she asks.

I am a married man and I also have to deal with 'conflicting demands' and I have found that there is blessing in being obedient to a family member, even if sometimes it seems unfair or unnecessary.

God bless you desire to deal with this issue in your life.

Peter
  • Doing everything she asks probably means getting a score of 2000000 out of 100 at every exam, trust me Egyptian parents can be very demanding :P
  • it helps me to close my eyes and imagine the Lord standing right beside the person thats making me angry, and to act as though hes right there, (which he is :)). I find its really hard to start yelling when you feel like the Lord is standing beside you.
  • As a kid, I used to hate it when my parents asked me to watch less TV, go to bed early, have food at fixed times, work according to a timetable etc. In typical teenage rebelliousness, I even questioned my parents' right to "control" me. But now as a parent myself, I know how much it hurts when my child talks back or disobeys. Looking around us, we can find so many children who were given "freedom" in their formative years and their parents now deeply regret not paying close attention to them due to various preoccupations. Result: The children go wayward and end up in all kinds of mess. Childhood is a precious time that calls for parents to sacrifice a lot.

Believe me, when parents nag, they mean well.

However, its a different question when the wife does the nagging, though.  ;D

God bless,
    rpm
  • [quote author=Lostsinner link=topic=7572.msg99459#msg99459 date=1232381169]
    When my mom starts nagging I go absolutely crazy it is probably one of the few things that set me off. How do i control myself from talking back and starting an argument?

I have this little book with inspirational quotes and one of them say "If you feel "dog tired" at night, maybe its because you "growled" all day!"

Romans 12:18- If it be possible, as much as there is in you, live peaceably with all men
  • invest in a boxing bag! it helps release anger n stress plus its a fun workout!!!....everyone goes thru the nagging parents phase but u need to find a way of living with themm....we;re all human after all...n parenting is pretty hard, its not easy! parents try...soo try n do some breathing excercises n not get soo worked up n nervous when talkin to them