Stem Cell Research

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello,

Can someone tell me the position of the CoC concerning Stem Cell Research?

Thanks

Comments

• http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?catid=368

let me know if this link doesnt work.. i can just copy and paste it if it doesn't.
  • by the way, I believe these are answered by HG Anba Youssef, correct me if I'm wrong.
  • i checked out the site, basically we can take cells from left-over placenta, it doesn't affect the baby at all.
    we can't take cells from tiny embryo's coz they die. that is murder and is wrong.
    many scientists and doctors, even a few Christian ones say it's ok coz the baby was going to be aborted anyway.
    It Is Not OK!
    many people in developed countries gat laughed at in their work for being against abortion, but unless we tell them it's not ok, who is going to tell them?
    i had a lot of hassle for having this point of view, but we have to keep working to support the parents of unwanted children and show them God's love and the high value He puts on human life. with our love, we should also show justice.
    may God help us
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=7591.msg99693#msg99693 date=1232743808]
    i checked out the site, basically we can take cells from left-over placenta, it doesn't affect the baby at all.
    we can't take cells from tiny embryo's coz they die. that is murder and is wrong.
    many scientists and doctors, even a few Christian ones say it's ok coz the baby was going to be aborted anyway.
    It Is Not OK!
    many people in developed countries gat laughed at in their work for being against abortion, but unless we tell them it's not ok, who is going to tell them?
    i had a lot of hassle for having this point of view, but we have to keep working to support the parents of unwanted children and show them God's love and the high value He puts on human life. with our love, we should also show justice.
    may God help us

THanks Mabsoota for your answer.

Perhaps our fathers the Bishops need to be a bit more vocal.

• Let me start by saying my post does not represent my personal views on this subject
    While it's true research in general offer no guarantees for cure, when standard treatments fail or none exist. I just like to ask this question, what is the view of the church on someone participates in such research knowing that stem cell is the only option he/she has, do we hold this person to the same standard and consider him/her a killer? He/she didn’t kill an embryo but used the only available treatment exists so far.

Before you answer my question, think about these facts regarding only three common diseases in which in stem cell research hold great potential for development of novel therapies to repair, replace, restore and regenerate diseased or damaged cells, tissues and organs.

* 250,000 Americans have spinal cord injured, approximately 11,000 new injuries occur each year in the US alone.
    * As many as 5.2 million people in the United States are living with Alzheimer’s.
    * About 50,000 Americans are diagnosed with Parkinson's disease each year, with more than half a million Americans affected at any given time.

I think it is equally important to understand what those who suffer from chronic disabling diseases go through, how they feel and what burden their families carry.
  • For me the main issue is that non-stem cell research is advancing quickly and seems to be showing the same potential as embryonic stem cells. So why use embyronic stem cells.

It seems to me very wrong that governments are pushing the use of embryonic stem cells instead of prohibiting their use and funding non-stem-cell research. There are alternatives, that is what is so wrong.

Peter