Ezekiel 16

Hey everyone, I dont know if any of you have ever debated anyone on the topic of homosexuality, but recently I have been doing that, and it appears that homosexuals do not even believe Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed because of homosexuality, and how they prove that is

Exekiel 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

How can I explain this verse? What does the Orthodox Church say about this?

Comments

• Hi, i am not a spokesperson for the church (i hope someone else will answer that part of your question), but i want to point out that verse 50 goes on to say 'she was haughty and did DETESTABLE THINGS before me'
    this is obviously not idleness, so is referring to all the other evil deeds, which we know from genesis 19:5 included homosexuality.
    may God give you wisdom in your debates
  • Hey Meena _Ameen you really are the dutiful servant of our Lord.  You surely are doing your part and we all pray that God will soften their heart that they may listen to the message of God you are telling them.
    Exekiel 16:49 reminds me of the saying a “text out of context becomes a pretext.” There is no question that homosexuality is a sin. Leviticus 20:13 clearly states "If a man also lies with mankind, as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination…”. Romans 1: 18-32 also looks at the matter closely. It clearly says it is shameful to commit homosexual acts “That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.” Romans 1: 26,27.
    Not only the action but also the desire is wrong. Also if one approves others to commit this sin it would be wrong “….Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.” Romans 1:32.
    One argument homosexuals present is that it is not something they insist upon but that is the way they are naturally inclined. Now this might be true. But it is no excuse. We all have an inclination to one or more kind of sins. But that doesn’t mean we should go ahead and commit it. I have a natural inclination toward females, boy do I need the Lords help. Does that mean I should go ahead?
    Dr. Ravi Zacharias explains more on how one can have the wrong inclination concerning homosexuality but nevertheless should learn self- control and seeks the Lord’s help. Here is the link:
    Even when one is willing to get rid of a sinful habit it is not easy. It is a given that we would face many relapses and a lot of despair. But everything is possible with God.
    Finally here are few verses which might encourage you in your debates:
    “…the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world” 1John 4:4
    “…they started to debate with him. None of them could stand against the wisdom and the Spirit with which Stephen spoke.” Acts 6: 9,10     
    “…always be ready to explain it.  But do this in a gentle and respectful way.” 1Peter 3:15, 16
    In Christ
    Theophilus
  • God Bless you all , thanks for the support, im sure youve all been in the same situation as me. Sometimes when debates like this go on for long we suffer being mocked and cursed at, but what hurts the most is that all were trying to do is help. Please keep me in your prayers, if its one thing I want more than anything else in the world is to gain as much knowledge as possible so that I can do as the early church father did very succesfully, and that is speak truth that no evil could argue against, just like that verse you pointed out. "they started to debate with him. None of them could stand against the wisdom and the Spirit with which Stephen spoke.” Acts 6: 9,10    "