meat

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
i have a weird question to ask, but maybe someone will know the answer.
i was listening to a talk in my church a while back about fasting and somehow we got into the fact that in the U.S. they electricute the animals because it's a faster way of killing them. the speaker also mentioned that this process causes the blood to stay in the meat and this goes against what God told Noah in the old testament about not eating meat with blood in it.
i was wondering if anyone knew the church's opinion on this? i mean, should we all start eating "halal" only meat since they're killed the same way as egypt?

Comments

• [coptic]pejaf `nje Iycouc @ pe;nase `eqoun `erwf `mpirwmi an petcwf `mmof alla pe;nyou `ebolqen rwf vai petcwf `mpirwmi - ejen pai ]ek`klyci`a `c`tcabon je teten`souwm en,ai niben a[ne `n`iri `nnobi[/coptic]
    Jesus said: What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' - on that the church teaches us that we can eat anything without committing a sin
    [coptic]oujai qen `P=[=c[/coptic]
  • Yep, same as ophadece! We do not live by the litteral food laws of the Old Testament, all is pure, u can read the story of St Peter and Cornelius in Acts 10 ;)
    Oh, and u really really should waited just another 2 days till u brought up this topic about meat :P
  • hahhaha...sorry hos erof, i guess i didn't think about that.
    but thanks for both of your help!
  • Yep, what the others said is right. BUT (aside from the spiritual side) those meats that are electrocuted or shot are not good for you physically, so be careful  :D
    The non-mass produced meats like "halal", organic, etc. are much "cleaner" meats
  • A very apt topic considering the date!

I hope you all had a good Christmas! The original replies stating that "What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,'...." are entirely correct, however some of the other information is very wrong!

"Electrocution" and "shooting" are not methods of killing animals. They are in fact methods of humane stunning during the slaughter process. Cattle are generally "shot" with a captive bolt gun that stuns the animal via a forceful blow to the head, rendering it unconscious and insensitive to pain for a short period of time. This then allows the slaughterman to cut the throat of the animal and bleed it. This is done immediately after stunning and it is this bleeding of the animal that kills it - not the captive bolt gun.

Electric shocks are used for the same purpose - most often in sheep, pigs and poultry. Again, this only serves as a method of stunning prior to bleeding. Stunning is done entirely from a humane point of view and is carried out in most western countries by licensed slaughtermen with veterinary supervision.

Regardless of the method of slaughter, all animals going for human consumption must be fully bled and the meat thoroughly inspected. To say that animals slaughtered in a humane manner are in any way detrimental to human health is both completely illogical and unfounded!

Furthermore, production methods have nothing to do with the method of slaughter. "Halal" slaughter is slaughter done according to Islamic laws and rituals (usually not involving stunning, facing Mecca etc etc) - it has nothing whatsoever to do with the production or rearing conditions of the animals. Animals can still be "mass produced" and slaughtered using a Halal method.  Likewise an organically reared animal can be slaughtered with stunning or without.

While the ethics of different methods of slaughter are a subject of debate, there is no difference whatsoever in the properties, safety or cleanliness of the meat!

I hope that this clears things up a bit!