GOD'S MERCY

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
How merciful is God...does He always keep on forgiving us if we really repent? does His mercy really endure forever? I dont understand..why He loves us so much..we didnt do anything to deserve His love..so even if we r bad does that mean God still loves us and will forgive us if we dont turn back to sin?

Comments

• Yes. God's mercy is unlimited. But who can understand it? Even David asked God : Who is the man to take so much care of him?

We sin to Him, we repent and He forgives us. How many times? A countless number of times.
    Many times we repeat the same sin, we repent and again He forgives us. Everytime we come to Him, we see Jesus opening His arms on the Cross to accept us. Even the right thief, after spending all his life killing and stealing he had nothing good to offer to God except his humble request : "Remember me, O Lord, when you come into your Kingdom". Jesus did not reject him. He accepted him. Suddenly, this request became a prayer for all generations. The whole Church prays this prayer in the Holy Friday.

He also told us that He loves us as His children. And even if a mother forgets her children, He never forgets us. Really God is nothing but LOVE. He loved the world so much to the point to send His only Son to die for our sins and to save us. (John 3:16).

What is requested from us in return? Just to follow His teachings and do exactly like Him. I think if we can really understand His love, we can no longer sin. We can love all mankind even our enemies. We should not find excuses for ourselves for not obeying His commandments.

One last thing I would like to say about God's mercy : When St. Peter asked Jesus how many times my brother sins to me and I forgive him? Up to 7 times? Jesus replied : Not to 7 times but to 70 times 7 times. If God asks us, we the mankind, to be merciful and to forgive 490 times, so how much would be His mercy?

This is a very good subject. Thank you and may God bless you.

Pray for me

KF
  • Beautiful response KF, God Bless You ;D
  • Thank you Banoub. May God bless you.

Pray for me.

KF
  • Hi Princess,
    You are absolutely right, and your questions are more than valid. I have a brief explanation, that you may find to be helpful. God, also called Father, is just like a Father, with more love. He created you and I. Think of how many mistakes you have made, and your mother and father continue to love you. Just the same, the love the God has for us,"For He so loved the world...That He gave up His only Son", is never ending. It endures everything.
  • I read somewhere that God's love is also known as the Greek translation of "agape." (a-gap-ee). A love Jesus revealed as spiritual and selfless; modeled for humanity. Unconditional.

Although, as humans, we are not worthy of such a magnitude of love; it is awesome in its nature; and his mercy, like his love is never ending for those who seek it.
  • wow! Thank you so much for your contribution, all your answers really touched my heart..hope to get more responses :)
    God bless all of you and may He have mercy on us all :)