Why the 9th Hour?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello,

During the Agpeya, we read the Gospel of the feeding of the 5,000 during the the 9th Hour prayers.

Can someone tell me why we read this part of the Bible at the 9th Hour?

Thanks

Comments

• You're probably tempted to think that the ninth hour of the Agpeya should be about the death of Christ right?
    Well, the Agpeya doesn't follow the events of Pascha week, it follows the events that we encounter (or that Jesus encountered) on a typical day.  Pascha week is a special case, and has its own rite, which is why we don't pray from the Agpeya during Pascha week.  We read the Gospel of the feeding of the 5000 during the 9th hour because this event happened at the ninth hour.  I think one of the Gospels mentions that.  And if you notice, during the sixth hour, which comes right before the ninth hour, we read the Sermon on the Mount, which is exactly what Jesus was doing during the sixth hour.  And you can extend this and guess that on any given day Jesus was probably preaching or teaching during the sixth hour, hence the gospel reading for that particular hour.
  • [quote author=Archdeacon link=topic=7345.msg97225#msg97225 date=1226775134]
    You're probably tempted to think that the ninth hour of the Agpeya should be about the death of Christ right?
    Well, the Agpeya doesn't follow the events of Pascha week, it follows the events that we encounter (or that Jesus encountered) on a typical day.  Pascha week is a special case, and has its own rite, which is why we don't pray from the Agpeya during Pascha week.  We read the Gospel of the feeding of the 5000 during the 9th hour because this event happened at the ninth hour.  I think one of the Gospels mentions that.  And if you notice, during the sixth hour, which comes right before the ninth hour, we read the Sermon on the Mount, which is exactly what Jesus was doing during the sixth hour.  And you can extend this and guess that on any given day Jesus was probably preaching or teaching during the sixth hour, hence the gospel reading for that particular hour.

Interesting answer. But you are wrong my friend. In fact, we superimpose our daily lives on the hours of the agpeya. And we say in the Agpeya, by the way "O you who in the 9th Hour was crucified". So we live with Christ's passion during the Agpeya. Yet, during the 9th hour, OUT OF ALL THE BIBLE READINGS, we read the story about the feeding of the 5000.

There's a good reason why we read this Bible at the 9th Hour. 

Can someone else guess why??
  • The gospels don't necessarily speak about the event of the hour. This is true also of the sixth hour, which is about the blessings in Matthew chapter 5. Or what about the 11th hour, it commemorates the body of Christ being taken of from the cross, while the gospel speaks about the curing of the sick.
    In the ninth hour u'll find the psalms speaking about Christ reigning as a King, and obviously these are prophecies of the Christ who would come to reign over the hearts of people, and his cross being the throne. In the third hour u'll find the gospel and the litanies and the theme of the hour very closely linked, so this differs.

As for the 5 loaves and 2 fish gospel, it has to do with the 9th hour being prayed at 3 pm: the time that people would break their fast normally. That's the reason i know for the choosing of this specific gospel.
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=7345.msg97241#msg97241 date=1226858542]
    The gospels don't necessarily speak about the event of the hour. This is true also of the sixth hour, which is about the blessings in Matthew chapter 5. Or what about the 11th hour, it commemorates the body of Christ being taken of from the cross, while the gospel speaks about the curing of the sick.
    In the ninth hour u'll find the psalms speaking about Christ reigning as a King, and obviously these are prophecies of the Christ who would come to reign over the hearts of people, and his cross being the throne. In the third hour u'll find the gospel and the litanies and the theme of the hour very closely linked, so this differs.

As for the 5 loaves and 2 fish gospel, it has to do with the 9th hour being prayed at 3 pm: the time that people would break their fast normally. That's the reason i know for the choosing of this specific gospel.

No. You are wrong also. Im so disappointed that you got this wrong.

Is there anyone else that wants to have a go??
  • What happened on the 9th hour? Christ died on the 9th hour.
    Which is what? it is our salvation.
    What happened for us to have salvation? He offered us His body; He gave us Himself. This is the nourishment / food for us; which He offered on the cross.

What happened when He fed the 5,000?

People were hungry. So He fed them.

On the 9th hour also He gave us His Body and Blood to drink for the eternal life. He offered us His body, and hence He fed humanity on the 9th hour by His death - but to eat unto Eternal life, not like the 5,000 were fed before.

Why did He die?? To feed us.

So we read story from the Gospel for the blessing the world has as a result of receiving His Body which is the True manna from Heaven.

THIS IS SO WELL KNOWN. THE CHURCH CHOSE THIS READING FOR THIS!!!!

But I just discovered this recently also (about a year ago), so I thought I'd share it.