Can we please pray for this?

edited November 2008 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries

Here's a video showing a brawl between the Greek Orthodox Priests and the Armenian Orthodox Priests in the Holiest Church in Jerusalem.

I'm really worried about this. Its happening very often nowadays.

What is the answer? Why can't they share this Church???
And what's wrong with turning the other cheek???? How can they give such a bad image about christian charity and love when behaving this way. I'm extremely disappointed.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

The only suggestions I have are as follows:

* Give the church back to the Greek Orthodox Church and let them run the show.
* Hold an annual pro-wrestling championship between the two sides. Winners use the Church for that year.

Also, who is the monk in red?? Which team does he belong to? The Chalcedonian or Non-Chalcedonian team?

Thanks

Comments

• Yeah, this bothers me as well. Most of my Christian friends are Protestants so they turn to me when they see Orthodox Christians brawling and it embarrasses me very much. My friend told me about this today on the phone, all I can say is I went to that church in 1999 (as a tourist, so i didn't get to really check it out properly) but the Muslims and Jews even back then were enjoying telling everyone how the Christians used to argue publicly. I really makes us look bad.

I think some senior people (bishops etc) from both sides need to speak publicly against this kind of behaviour. After all, we have a common Eastern/Oriental Orthodox statement from 1990 (Geneva) so we should, instead, be leading the way in teaching Christian unity to the other churches.
    So lets pray, and lets drop it into the conversation next time we bump into a bishop!
  • Yeah, muslims especially are having a field day over this. They are laughing at us.

If Saint Helen were to appear today, she'd criticise us no doubt for being that stupid to be divided amongst ourselves over things that won't make a difference to our salvations. Instead, what will make a difference to our salvation is the effect that this animosity between Chalcedonian and Non-Chalcedonian is causing our Church and ourselves. Being divided over issues that have no bearing on our salvation is just wasteful and foolishness.

This is a disaster. It hurts me deeply to see a Greek Orthodox monk/priest being struck like that. It was the Holy Feast of the Cross, and the Greeks were allowed to have a guardian assist in the ceremony in which the Armenians were holding.

What's more is that the miracles ONLY seem to happen when the Greek Clergyman prays. (the miracle of the light). It doesn't happen with anyone else.

(Apparently the miracle is that light comes from the tomb and lights up all the candles).

• Its a real pity that this is actually happening. Unfortunately this seems to happen in other places as well, such as the two factions of the Indian Church squabbling over custody of churches and getting physical. The sad part is that the secular courts are being sought to settle it instead of having an inter-church council mediate. And in the process, becoming a spectacle in the eyes of other communities. Its the devil at work and I guess hard praying is one way of keeping such forces at bay.

• this could very well be a misunderstanding. Although it also may not be.

Isn't it right for Christians to use self defence?
    Actually nevermind, they were clearly jumping towards eachother for a fight.

May God Help them, and may God help me :)

God Bless

Christopher
  • This is an absolute disgrace - if monks, who are people consecrated to God, people who are the very essence and symbol of piety and ascetism are fighting together like kids in a playground, then it seems incredible that war hasn't been declared between the churches!
  • This is a great reason why we, as Copts, are banned by HH to go there.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7312.msg96920#msg96920 date=1226337650]
    This is a great reason why we, as Copts, are banned by HH to go there.

I thought we were banned to go there in support of the Palestinian Crisis?

Regardless, what I fail to understand is this:

If we are banned to go there how comes there are still Coptic monks there???
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg96922#msg96922 date=1226339429]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=7312.msg96920#msg96920 date=1226337650]
    This is a great reason why we, as Copts, are banned by HH to go there.

I thought we were banned to go there in support of the Palestinian Crisis?

well think about it...if the place is peaceful there, each church would have her own church and things would be controled within the churches borders if there would be any/much problems.

Regardless, what I fail to understand is this:

If we are banned to go there how comes there are still Coptic monks there???

Welll why would there be ANY COPTS AT ALL, not only monks. the same question that been being ask since this word from the Pope. He said we are not allowed to go, but he can't STOP anyone.
  • Did anyone hear of the story of a young illiterate Coptic girl that was taken to heaven after St Mary and St George performed a miracle on her to heal her, and Jesus Christ Spoke to her saying that he wants ONLY 1 Orthodox Church.

But apparently, He didnt specify if He wanted Chalcedonian or non-Chalcedonian.

We really need closure on this issue.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg96927#msg96927 date=1226346345]
    Did anyone hear of the story of a young illiterate Coptic girl that was taken to heaven after St Mary and St George performed a miracle on her to heal her, and Jesus Christ Spoke to her saying that he wants ONLY 1 Orthodox Church.

i thought the "Chalcedonian or non-Chalcedonian" issue was solved when the Eastern Orthodox churches FULLY separated from the Catholics and are now "non-Chalcedonian"????!!!!
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7312.msg96928#msg96928 date=1226347081]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg96927#msg96927 date=1226346345]
    Did anyone hear of the story of a young illiterate Coptic girl that was taken to heaven after St Mary and St George performed a miracle on her to heal her, and Jesus Christ Spoke to her saying that he wants ONLY 1 Orthodox Church.

i thought the "Chalcedonian or non-Chalcedonian" issue was solved when the Eastern Orthodox churches FULLY separated from the Catholics and are now "non-Chalcedonian"????!!!!

Mina, I can't believe you are asking this. 90% of all topics on tasbeha.org are about Coptic Orthodox Christians who are wannabe Greek Orthodox Christians. They even pretend to have greek names like vassilios, but they are in fact Coptic.

Man, we are DIVIDED. The Greek Orthodox Church does not allow you to even have Communion.

The Greeks, Russians, Romanians etc. are Chalcedonian.
    The Copts, Armenians, Syrians, Ethiopians, Indians are Non-Chalcedonian.

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg96927#msg96927 date=1226346345]
    Mina, I can't believe you are asking this. 90% of all topics on tasbeha.org are about Coptic Orthodox Christians who are wannabe Greek Orthodox Christians. They even pretend to have greek names like vassilios, but they are in fact Coptic.

well...this is not new.....you only know best that person and why he's the only one who wants to be Greek???!!!!ask him and tell me....and yeah, maybe you can tell him he's the one who;s losing not us, being copts.

Man, we are DIVIDED. The Greek Orthodox Church does not allow you to even have Communion.

WE ARE DIVIDED???!!!....if we are divided, how are we still STANDING and INCREASING IN THE WHOLE world as so.

that was the verdict from the first division back around 300s-400s. But again around 11th century, there was the GREAT SCHISM where the Eastern Orthodox church left the Roman Catholic and became "Non-Chalcedonian".....come one QT, you need me to teach you history NOW!!!
  • Mina, a few corrections. They were Eastern Orthodox Church is Chalcedonian - they conformed to the Council of Chalcedon in 451 Ad, same as the Catholic church, and REMAIN SO TODAY. Vas is correct, we are divided, in 1054 (the Great Schism), the Eastern Orthodox split from the Roman Catholics, BUT ARE STILL Chalcedonian. There was no change to the Christology.
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=7312.msg96996#msg96996 date=1226420547]
    Mina, a few corrections. They were Eastern Orthodox Church is Chalcedonian - they conformed to the Council of Chalcedon in 451 Ad, same as the Catholic church, and REMAIN SO TODAY. Vas is correct, we are divided, in 1054 (the Great Schism), the Eastern Orthodox split from the Roman Catholics, BUT ARE STILL Chalcedonian. There was no change to the Christology.

i have to disagree. a statement was signed by the churches about the Marriage between both. the link was posted on one of the topics that leads to the site and in it there are in fact MORE declarations of both churches. those were never going to be true if they still "Chalcedonian".......
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7312.msg96933#msg96933 date=1226356191]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg96927#msg96927 date=1226346345]

well...this is not new.....you only know best that person and why he's the only one who wants to be Greek???!!!!ask him and tell me....and yeah, maybe you can tell him he's the one who;s losing not us, being copts.

WE ARE DIVIDED???!!!....if we are divided, how are we still STANDING and INCREASING IN THE WHOLE world as so.

that was the verdict from the first division back around 300s-400s. But again around 11th century, there was the GREAT SCHISM where the Eastern Orthodox church left the Roman Catholic and became "Non-Chalcedonian".....come one QT, you need me to teach you history NOW!!!

Well, it started out when I learnt the hymn "Agios Otheos". I was always impressed with the Greek Orthodox Church. Greece is where St John lived - in the Island of Patmos. Have you ever had a souvlaki mina? I used to live on that stuff.

But after travelling around the world for a long time, I realised that there were more greek Orthodox churches and Greek restaurants than there were lebanese restaurants (and Coptic Churches). If ever you are hungry spiritually or physically, then most likely you'll be filled up if you were greek.

But we are divided. We are not one with the greek orthodox church. THey do not accept us as Copts and consider us heretics.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg97015#msg97015 date=1226427204]
    But we are divided. We are not one with the greek orthodox church. THey do not accept us as Copts and consider us heretics.

well waht are you gonna do?!?!?!

you are one of many who been saying that but nothing can be done AND KNOW ONE WILL CHANGE IT UNTILL OUR BISHOPS UNITE.

It's that simple.....you gonna tell me go complain, as you thought of a way to resolve things.....then go complain!!!! I am not sure what will you complain to who.....but complain.....just to make you happy, COMPLAIN!!!!

There is no need to worry about such things......for the millionth time i am saying this and people just IGNORE, worry about your own salvation. You believe in a church, you know it's true, live in Her, by Her, and be ready to go to heaven anytime......it's that simple....

When you get to heaven, God will not judge you on why are church not united.
  • Mina,

Are you suggesting we complain about this so that our bishops and their bishops get the talks going again on unification?

That's an interesting idea Mina. Do you think it will work?
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg97021#msg97021 date=1226429677]
    Mina,

Are you suggesting we complain about this so that our bishops and their bishops get the talks going again on unification?

That's an interesting idea Mina. Do you think it will work?

i don't think your sarcasm would really help right now.....just wasting your time......wait, that's normal for you....all you have IS TIME!!
  • Well, my initial suggestion was to pray for this issue, not to complain.

Can you pray for this situation Mina?

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg97031#msg97031 date=1226432584]
    Well, my initial suggestion was to pray for this issue, not to complain.

Well i "CAN"...anyone can pray I am sure, it's a simple act all can do.....i just don't know if i would or may....i don't have to really tell you if i "MAY" pray.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7312.msg97032#msg97032 date=1226433006]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg97031#msg97031 date=1226432584]
    Well, my initial suggestion was to pray for this issue, not to complain.

Well i "CAN"...anyone can pray I am sure, it's a simple act all can do.....i just don't know if i would or may....i don't have to really tell you if i "MAY" pray.

Mina,
    You need cranberry juice.
  • On a more serious note, Mina I'm 100% sure on this matter that the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox Churches are still divided as we have for centuries.
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=7312.msg97043#msg97043 date=1226439342]
    On a more serious note, Mina I'm 100% sure on this matter that the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox Churches are still divided as we have for centuries.

i didn't say they are UNITED yet. All I am saying is that they are, only now, Non-Chalcedonian.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg97033#msg97033 date=1226434229]
    Mina,

you need a life.......as we all see it here
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7312.msg97055#msg97055 date=1226442439]
    i didn't say they are UNITED yet. All I am saying is that they are, only now, Non-Chalcedonian.

The Eastern Orthodox Church is seperate from us, and still acknowledge the Council of Chalcedon as being dogma, and are therefore still Chalcedonian.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7312.msg97056#msg97056 date=1226442481]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7312.msg97033#msg97033 date=1226434229]
    Mina,

you need a life.......as we all see it here

Mina, u are just being rude. I'm suggesting cranberry juice because it helps high blood pressure.
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=7312.msg97058#msg97058 date=1226442549]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=7312.msg97055#msg97055 date=1226442439]

The Eastern Orthodox Church is seperate from us, and still acknowledge the Council of Chalcedon as being dogma, and are therefore still Chalcedonian.

Exactly.

And unless this problem is solved, I can't see a solution to the animosity between the Orthodox CHurches.