Is there a difference between Coptic orthodox and other orthodox.

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Is there a difference between Coptic orthodox and other orthodox. Would we all be considered as one in faith.

Comments

• I think there are with some other orthodox churches, like greek orthodox.
    But there are 'sister' churches that are the same. i think asyrian or syrian :/ orthodox and such. also ethiopian and russian.
    I could be wrong.

GodBless.
  • I think our sister churches are the ones who belong to the Oriental Orthodox family
    the others belong to the Eastern Orthodox family of churches, with those we have some minor differences I think, but I'm not sure what exactly... they are the Greek, Serbian, Russians, etc
  •  

I am from the Serbian Orthodox Church,
    and I good know dogmatics our Church,
    and dogmatics  your Church I know.

Many in our Church are not aware that and you have
    same experience of faith that we have,
    the difference is only in expression.

There long centuries of prejudice and dilemmas about you:
    you do not believe that the Lord Jesus and become a
    man full of human nature.
  • My English is not exactly the best,
    not scorn me for that reason,
    my dear brotherhood and my dear sisterhood  :-*
  • "There long centuries of prejudice and dilemmas about you:
    you do not believe that the Lord Jesus and become a
    man full of human nature."

but we do believe this?  ???
  • They do not understand your theological terms and phrases.
    Many of Eastern Orthodox think about you, that you believe that Jesus is the only God,
    and that there are no properties of humanity.
  • I think the five sister churches are Coptic, Syrian, INdian, Ethiopian/Eritrean, and Armenian.

i believe we have little differece with the rest of the Orthodox churches.
  • So, Hailemikeal, so.
    we are very sorry because a lot centuries of differece .

Our some local Orthodox Church for example: Romanian Orthodox Church and the Orthodox Church of Antioch,
        are leading to overcome the schism and disunion  with you.
    They are, unfair anathema, with the Holy Dioskor person, a few years ago removed.
  • [quote author=Serb link=topic=7226.msg95870#msg95870 date=1224424652]
    They do not understand your theological terms and phrases.
    Many of Eastern Orthodox think about you, that you believe that Jesus is the only God,
    and that there are no properties of humanity.

well you might need to be more specific with who are "they". according to the info we last received, our bishops been talking to most of the Eastern Orthodox bishops.
  • Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.The main difference between the 2 Orthodox families is summerised in the Icons: Notice the raised fingers of our Lord in the icons.

The Oriental icon of our Lord:

The Eastern icon of our Lord:

• [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7226.msg96012#msg96012 date=1224552096]
    Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.The main difference between the 2 Orthodox families is summerised in the Icons: Notice the raised fingers of our Lord in the icons.

The Oriental icon of our Lord:

The Eastern icon of our Lord:

well.....not really Hezekiel. you have to consider the context of the icons here.

the coptic icon you are using above is the icon of the "Pantocrator", closest meaning is "The Almighty". this icon is put in the bosom of the Father, the inner place of the Sanctuary in the Coptic church. look at the hand, you see 3 fingers connected to ONE, referring to the Holy Trinity, which makes sense for the place, the bosom of the Father, where the Holy Trinity dowel, not that you can have a specific place that limit the Trinity.

the Eastern icon, if i am not mistaken, is of Christ the Teacher. the fingers refer to 2 main things about Christ's nature:
    1st, the shape the fingers are place and looking at from far, refer to the word "ICQU" (Eso Ekhresto Theo Eio "Jesus Christ God's Son")
    2nd, which is a major dogma that begot all churches to separate, 2 fingers attached to 1, meaning "TWO natures into ONE"...which what we also believe as Coptic Orthodox.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7226.msg96014#msg96014 date=1224553697]

well.....not really Hezekiel. you have to consider the context of the icons here.

the coptic icon you are using above is the icon of the "Pantocrator", closest meaning is "The Almighty". this icon is put in the bosom of the Father, the inner place of the Sanctuary in the Coptic church. look at the hand, you see 3 fingers connected to ONE, referring to the Holy Trinity, which makes sense for the place, the bosom of the Father, where the Holy Trinity dowel, not that you can have a specific place that limit the Trinity.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your explanation.I only concentrated on the raised fingers to show our differences in our belief  in the nature of Christ and have never thought about the rest. Now, I am brighter and know what the 3 fingers depict. BTW, the Eastern icon is a Greek one with the title "Christ the Lifegiver'. I am happy I posted the images.
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7226.msg96019#msg96019 date=1224554247]
    Thank you very much, I appreciate your explanation.I only concentrated on the raised fingers to show our differences in our belief  in the nature of Christ and have never thought about the rest. Now, I am brighter and know what the 3 fingers depict. BTW, the Eastern icon is a Greek one with the title "Christ the Lifegiver'. I am happy I posted the images.

well the belief in nature, is now found to be the SAME, according to what the bishops have declared from all the Orthodox churches. 2 natures in one, "... believe that His divinity parted not from His humanity for a single moment, nor a twinkling of an eye" (St. Basil's Liturgy, the confession)
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7226.msg96020#msg96020 date=1224554797]
    [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7226.msg96019#msg96019 date=1224554247]

well the belief in nature, is now found to be the SAME, according to what the bishops have declared from all the Orthodox churches. 2 natures in one, "... believe that His divinity parted not from His humanity for a single moment, nor a twinkling of an eye" (St. Basil's Liturgy, the confession)

Amen to that! Let us never forget to pray that both churches overcome all remaining obstacles in our life time.I truly wish that.
  • in response to Serb:

we do beleive that Jesus is human as well.

Without change, he was incarnate and became man and resembled us in everything, except for sin alone.

one nature out of two

we believe that His divinity parted not from His humanity for a single moment (when he died).

you might want to read this:
    http://www.coptic.net/articles/MonophysitismReconsidered.txt

in response to the pictures:
    i just want to understand a bit more:
    we believe both pictures:
    First picture: we believe that the Father, Son, Holy spirit (3 fingers) are one God (1 finger)
    Second picture: and we believe that the Son had one nature out of 2 (2 fingers)

please correct me if i am wrong

God Bless
  • actually I think the coptic orthodox icons are always 1 finger, I don't think official coptic orthodox icons can have two fingers, but I might be mistaken...

Mina, I do not find a clear pic of this icon, but do you  know how to read it? 
  • I was just reading wikipedia about orthodox and read that the Eastern Orthodox Churches do not believe in Monophysite ( ONe single nature of Christ)... instead they believe in two nature of Christ, just like the Catholic! THis is huge difference i think.