Liturgy

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Which would u guys prefer a liturgy to be coptic, english, or arabic if u had to choose from one of the three and y?
Please answer
God Bless You

Comments

• [quote author=quiet_one link=topic=7001.msg93480#msg93480 date=1217709163]
    Which would u guys prefer a liturgy to be coptic, english, or arabic if u had to choose from one of the three and y?
    Please answer
    God Bless You

coptic and arabic. just for te sake of tunes. i understand mostly all 3.....
  • If I could only choose one, I'd pick English simply because that's the only language I can truly understand and pray in. I understand some Arabic and Coptic and the tunes are very beautiful yes, but those aren't languages I can actually pray in, and the point of a liturgy is prayer, not beautiful tunes, so I'd have to go with English.
  • thats a very good point
  • coptic definately, because of the tunes////

i wanted to go on st.shenouda's feast because the liturgy is done in coptic, but i couldn't go the last 2 years, and before that time, i never what the coptic liturgy sounded like...

it's beautiful///
  • I would definelty want arabic; arabic sound good and the tune is very nice; and most people understand arabic; but abouna barely prays any arabic at my church; thats too bad :'( but its ok

God Bless
  • Well, i would understand the English Liturgy the most but i definetly prefer the Coptic Liturgy as i feel that a big part of us being Coptic orthodox is the fact that we are all able to learn, read and speak the Coptic language, and what better way to learn this language, than hearing it through the Liturgy itself!!

God Bless and Take Care
  • If we could only select one, English would be the obvious choice. How else would we be able to pray?
  • I would perfer coptic. :)

Just to point out; just because you don't know how to pray in coptic you can still enjoy the the tune and the language. Then you have the book to either read that hymn in whatever language you pray in. I mean you pray with the language that you are most comfortable and enjoy the language of the church which is Coptic.
  • I reckon mostly English but a decent bit of Coptic as well.

We need to pray in English so that we can understand what is being said but Coptic is such a BEAUTIFUL language! Its so poetic and eloquent. I understand a little bit of Coptic so I can actually follow on when the tunes are slower and the words are simple. Things like JE Nai Nan are very moving in Coptic.

The other thing is, when we pray in Coptic it feels like going back in time, praying exactly the same words our ancestors in Egypt used. Not only that but were also using mostly the same language that the Ancient Egyptians used. How cool is that! Did you know Ep Ouro (I think only the first verse: "O King of Peace, Grant us your peace etc.) is actually an ancient Egyptian chant that was sung to the Pharaoh? I also heard (but am not sure) that the tune is mostly the same too.

Pray 4 me!

• COPTIC and ARABIC.... 
  • i would pick coptic
    have you ever heard fr Abraham Wassefs coptic commemeration it is amazing