Does God punish us for our sins whilst we are on earth?

13»

Comments

• And so we conclude:

Sins merits punishment, either here on earth or in eternity, but sometimes tribulations that befall us on earth are designed to help us by strengthening us or moving us closer to God.
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6917.msg92899#msg92899 date=1216279881]
    And so we conclude:

Sins merits punishment, either here on earth or in eternity, but sometimes tribulations that befall us on earth are designed to help us by strengthening us or moving us closer to God.

I don't know if that's true Joe.

If i repent for my sins and I do not receive punishment for them on earth, does that mean I will not Go to heaven? (given that we do not believe in purgatory?).

I don't think so.

Its best not to conclude this habibi.

Let me ask abouna 1st. Or why doesn't someone ask...
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6917.msg92902#msg92902 date=1216280600]
    If i repent for my sins and I do not receive punishment for them on earth, does that mean I will not Go to heaven? (given that we do not believe in purgatory?).

Of course not, you will go to heaven (if that were to happen, it is a hypothetical scenario). Only it won't happen. 100% you will receive some punishment on earth for your sins, directly or indirectly, at that time or in the future, through sickness, distress, injury, pains, disasters, could be anything.

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6917.msg92904#msg92904 date=1216281551]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6917.msg92902#msg92902 date=1216280600]

Of course not, you will go to heaven (if that were to happen, it is a hypothetical scenario). Only it won't happen. 100% you will receive some punishment on earth for your sins, directly or indirectly, at that time or in the future, through sickness, distress, injury, pains, disasters, could be anything.

pray for me

joe

Im not looking for praise, nor searching for any reward,but isn't this topic BRILLIANT!!!

Did anyone know any of this???

I mean, let's be practical: U all know your sins...

Now.. just imagine what things are waiting for u!!! God's GONNA GET U!!!!
  • Thats a crazy way of thinking about it. God is not taking vengeance on us, he loves us and we are his children. The punishments that befall us are OUR faults, not God's, and in fact we should be THANKFUL for them because God has allowed us a second chance, and has already paid the price of all of our sins on the cross. We have it easy, because whenever we fall, God is always there with his arms open, ready to forget our sins and allow us to start afresh. The Blood of Christ wipes away the filth of our sins, and God will remember our sins no more. The punishments are also in our favour. By being punished we remember how heinous our sins are, remember the depth we have sunk to, understand what we have done. They help us return to God, who is our Salvation, and the help of those who have no helper, the haven of those lost in the storm of this world. We should be thankful for these punishments, because they help us remember God, help us get back to him, and our TINY compared to the punishment which Christ suffered for our sakes, which we would have been subject to.

pray for me

joe
  • Yeah, Joe, its ok. we're both saying the same thing. THe punishments that befall us are OUR own fault. But God doesn't let it slip is what I'm trying to say. We get our dues is all I'm saying.

OooOOOoOoooOOOOHhhhhhhHHHHHH

Just imagine.. something bad is gonna happen to u if u've done something bad.

OoooooOoooOOoOoooooooooooooooo

We should create a thread where everyone just writes down their sin and the punishment that they've received for it.

• ;D Some things never change.
  • Joe, U don't understand.

Look man.. Once we went out to the monastery in Germany -as a bunch of kids from church. we were around 13 years old.. not more. Anyway, one kid just really did something cruel to me. It was so bad. I loved him, and I couldnt understand why he was doing that.

Anyway, one guy who saw what he did said to me: "Hey... don't worry, God will punish him". Then, right there and then.. something really bad happened to him. AS SOON AS HE SAID IT. After reading the Pope's book, i see that no one will escape punishment if they've done something unjust. What goes around, comes around.

I couldnt believe it.

JUST THERE AND THEN he was punished.

I mean... just wait and see what's waiting for all of u. Just wait.

God has punished me loads... LOADS OF TIMES... And its gonna happen to u TOO!! :)

I mean, this stuff is true.

• I know its true Vas, thats why whenever I go anywhere, I take my baseball bat with me. :P
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6917.msg92915#msg92915 date=1216283939]
    I know its true Vas, thats why whenever I go anywhere, I take my baseball bat with me. :P

I think that that is the best way to conclude: If u know u've been bad, prepare yourself.

Just be careful of people coming up to you, false prophets or anyone else who tells u :"God has asked me to kick u as Earthly punishment for your sins".

These people are false, and totally unprofessional.

If u want your punishment, just go to London.... walk around hackney or New Cross on a friday night.
  • Two questions:

Does God ALWAYS punish???

When God punishes, does he allow something EQUALLY as bad to happen to you as you did, or does he mercifully brings upon you a smaller punishment sometimes???

One Comment:

Maybe 'punishment' is simply God ALLOWING the natural consequences of you sin to come upon you... (When you've spent your whole life smoking, and even after you've stopped, you start getting health problems, can this really be called a punishment from God??, isn't this just what's normal, and God allows it to come upon you???)

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6917.msg92918#msg92918 date=1216285413]
    Two questions:

Does God ALWAYS punish???

When God punishes, does he allow something EQUALLY as bad to happen to you as you did, or does he mercifully brings upon you a smaller punishment sometimes???

One Comment:

Maybe 'punishment' is simply God ALLOWING the natural consequences of you sin to come upon you... (When you've spent your whole life smoking, and even after you've stopped, you start getting health problems, can this really be called a punishment from God??, isn't this just what's normal, and God allows it to come upon you???)

God Bless
    Please pray for me

God says "How u judge others, u will be judged" - by the same measure of cruelty you have shown (or compassion), it will be shown to u.

U see how reading the Pope's book has given us a good foundation now to build this discussion. We know that we are punished for our sins (with earthly punishment).

THe best example here is Jacob: Jacob deceived his father in order to get the blessing of the 1st born. Now, deception is wrong, yet it was for a good intention. Right?

Now, check this out: Jacob was deceived by his uncle when chosing a wife. His uncle deceived jacob and married him the wrong sister. It was also deception but with a good intention.

Now, let's look at tit-for-tat in this case:

Jacob spent say a few days planning the deception with his mother (they were together on it) - Maybe it was a few days, or maybe a few years.. maybe it was 14 years!?? I don't know...

What was his punishment - he worked 14 years to marry Rachel. What a punishment.. it seems hard.. but he deceived Isaac. God blessed Jacob also as much as he punished him (in cases where Jacob EARNED the blessing). God is really fair.. but the way I see it, and others may disagree.. its OK: but i think if u have a close relationship with God, and u are from a GOOD CHRISTIAN FAMILY, then your punishment won't be the same as say someone that didnt know God and did the same sin as u. For what u have known, MORE will be expected from u. And I think God has treated all his saints this way, from Moses  in the OT to the disciples & apostles in the NT.

Now, going back to the point on : U will be judged on how u judge others: THis is so true. People who treat women with a regard of disrespect and say :"But there's nothing wrong with looking at a woman with lust if she's attractive" - would they be happy for someone to look at their daughter that way? If they justify it, and say "yeah sure - why not".. then so be it. But I know its not true. I know this. But as they have judged , they will be judged. And actually, that does happen, and it is punishment.

I've seen so many examples where this holds.
  • Guys,

I know i wrote this thread to help understand this problem more, but I don't want to be selfish and "hog" it so it just focuses on my needs or questions.

I mean, now we know that God does punish us, what should be our attitude when we receive our punishment??