How did Adam come up with names of animals?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi, I was just wondering - how did Adam come up with names like Tiger/lion/bear/ etc.. for all the animals?? I mean, what language did he speak when he was created???

I know a lot of u think he spoke Coptic, and that's why its our heritage and we should hold onto it, but - i think we need to be more open-minded and see from people that may know more than us?

Did God create Adam with a vocabularly? How did Adam begin making words??

When God talked to him and told him "not to eat" of the fruit of the tree.. in what language was it?

Comments

• i would never of thought of such a question myself, i tr granted. but i presume that God didn't speak coptic when he conversed with them. when he came to earth he didn't speak coptic but aramic. my answer to u would be asking God himself through ur prayers, or maybe Adam and Eve.
    pray for my weakness,

Coptic Youth
  • What naming conventions did Adam use to name the animals??

For God to have asked Adam to name animals - to call them as he wishes, it means that Adam was born with knowledge of a language. Either that, or God taught him how to speak. You agree?

So, what language was it? It means the 1st language taught to man must be the closest to the truth. If we take a language and change it, we lose meaning.

But besides, did God teach Adam a language, or was Adam born with that language as a built-in feature?

• honestly QT_PA-2T i would have no clue. to me its good knowledge but not essential for salvation so it wont mattter to me. again im young and not knowledgable so i wuldnt have a clue.

forgive my weakness,

coptic youth
  • The 1st task God gave Adam was to name all the animals. It must be important if the Bible mentions it. I just want to know what his naming conventions were.

And what language did he speak in when he gave each animal a name??
  • I agree, if it isnt necessary for our salvation then I don't really care right now, I want to know everything I need to know about my salvation first, and it was Adam's first job because things need to be organized, this question is pointless in my opinion.
  • how did Adam come up with names like Tiger/lion/bear/ etc.. for all the animals??

he called the animals according to what he saw and what he wanted! so for example the birds were flying things... the animals that creep, he would call it creeper... and the weird animals were the weirdos... and etc... so he called them according to what he pleased... your questions is the same as why i called my dog... "molly" when i go to the vet they just ask for the name, not why i called her molly! 

And the LORD God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him.

I mean, what language did he speak when he was created???

I know a lot of u think he spoke Coptic, and that's why its our heritage and we should hold onto it, but - i think we need to be more open-minded and see from people that may know more than us?

what in the world are you talking about?!!! who said Adam and eve spoke Coptic?! if you wanna be open minded you would know that NO ONE knows what language was spoken... some assume Aramaic and some assume Hebrew... but these were the languages the books were written into, but not the language of Adam and eve...so really no one can tell you what language they spoke! this mentality is of Islam, tell you that the language of God is Arabic... thus Adam and ever and "issa" (Jesus) and all the prophets all spoke Arabic!

also God did create man with a vocal system for a reason... not to run around in circles and make weird noises... but rather to converse with Him, and praise Him! so he did give him a vocabulary!

"Now the whole earth had one language and one speech. And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar, and they dwelt there. Then they said to one another, “Come, let us make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They had brick for stone, and they had asphalt for mortar. And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.” But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. And the LORD said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them. Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.” So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city. Therefore its name is called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth; and from there the LORD scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth."

now the important part of this whole story is that the closer you are to God the better it is with everything... for you receive dominion and authority... " for you gave us the authority to tread on serpents and scorpions and upon all the power of the enemy!" and through the bible... "Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all [weird animals of] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” so there are many examples of that, in our church saints... for example saint barsoum the naked... we cannot forget how he had authority and dominion over a vicious snake... and abba tiji anba rewis and all the father that live in the dessert, who can/could have been attacked bey the animals of the dessert, but no animal can harm, one with such dominion. so the whole lesson is be close to God, for by that you will have His dominion!
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6880.msg92259#msg92259 date=1215166446]
    Hi, I was just wondering - how did Adam come up with names like Tiger/lion/bear/ etc.. for all the animals?? I mean, what language did he speak when he was created???

When God talked to him and told him "not to eat" of the fruit of the tree.. in what language was it?

Who said that Adam spoke Coptic???... i never heard of that before.....  Jesus spoke Coptic when He visited Egypt (Flight of The Holy Family) but Coptic started as Heiroglyphs, then evolved to Demotic, (and one more style... that i don't remember the name of...) then finally it became Coptic when the Greeks invaded Egypt......  Coptic was defenatly not the Language Adam spoke (for all i know.......)

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.
  • can i just APPLAUD!!! QT_PA_2T  for asking these AMAZING questions that im sure not alot of us would ask and its good to ask these questions so we can ALL benefit...thanks you and God bless
    Copticdeacon

• Jesus spoke Coptic when He visited Egypt

i dont think this is correct. as far as i know, HE spoke Aramic not coptic on his life on earth.
    Other than knowledge of the naming and languague in which adam used, i dont think God is going to judge u for not knowing this piece of knowledge. If u know it great, if not its not the end of the world. This my opinion.

Pray for my weakness,

Coptic Youth
  • Jesus lived in Egypt till about 3 or 4 years old... so I'm sure He spoke Coptic... not fully... but at least spoke a word here and a word there... so He blessed the language!
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6880.msg92302#msg92302 date=1215212813]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6880.msg92259#msg92259 date=1215166446]

Who said that Adam spoke Coptic???... i never heard of that before.....  Jesus spoke Coptic when He visited Egypt (Flight of The Holy Family) but Coptic started as Heiroglyphs, then evolved to Demotic, (and one more style... that i don't remember the name of...) then finally it became Coptic when the Greeks invaded Egypt......  Coptic was defenatly not the Language Adam spoke (for all i know.......)

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

Just to make things clear: the Coptic language was formed from some of the characters of the Demotic language with along with some letters of the Greek language.

GB
    Tony
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=6880.msg92277#msg92277 date=1215186672]
    I agree, if it isnt necessary for our salvation then I don't really care right now, I want to know everything I need to know about my salvation first, and it was Adam's first job because things need to be organized, this question is pointless in my opinion.

There are 10000's of threads, why don't u focus on the thread that to u is not "pointless"?

I was interested in the answer, so I asked.
  • Haha, another excellent thread Vas. I've never given any thought whatsoever to this before. It's a very interesting thought, and I have no idea how anyone would ever find out the answer. Does it matter to us as Christians? No, not really...just as some other people have said. But come on guys, it's still a perfectly good question!

I'd really like to hear a good answer to this...you've got me thinking about this a lot now! Haha! :D
  • Good question. My only guess is that he gave them logical names as to what characteristics that certain animal has. So for example, a bird. A bird can fly. Maybe in whatever language he spoke, bird means something that can fly or something of that sort.

PK
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6880.msg92259#msg92259 date=1215166446]

wow... you realy have alot of time on your hands ha?! and alot of free time too to think about all of random akward things!!
    I hope that you are going to find the answers to your questions so you and your brain can rest from wondering and thinking about such random akward issues! and i am sure you can email H.H. through his site and ask him and I am sure he will reply! Or you can pray to god and ask him and bardo i am sure he will let you know somehow ;) he might either send you adam and eve or send you to adam and eve's time to find out :D and I hope you are going to share your findings with us so we can let our minds rest from thinking about such issues!
    Ohh.... and make sure to uncover Adam's belly to see if he had a belly button or not! and bardo let us know :) bas you gotta ask adam or/and Eve first to see Eve's belly to know if she had a belly button or not! :) and check their kids bardo!
    May god answer your prayers and questions ya Vas!
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6880.msg92348#msg92348 date=1215397510]
    Good question. My only guess is that he gave them logical names as to what characteristics that certain animal has. So for example, a bird. A bird can fly. Maybe in whatever language he spoke, bird means something that can fly or something of that sort.

PK

that is a very good opinion.... when you read the Old Testament, most of the names they name places, or people come from a discription of whta that thing is.... (e.x.:She named him Moses,  saying, "I drew him out of the water."(Exodus 2:10)
    so maybe like PK said, the name would have came from the discription.......    (but what was the original vocabulary used by Adam (language)???
  • I think its extremely dangerous to brush questions off as "pointless" especially if u do not know the answer.

How did I come to ask this question?

Well, my FoC said to us that when God asked Adam to find names for each of the animals, it made Adam realise that he was in fact single. I.e. that each of the specie had a male and female, and that made him realise that he was single, and there was something.

So, the naming of the animals was important. was it "naming" or just "appreciation of each animal"??

"The secret to understanding the entire Bible is in Genesis" (from my Sunday School Teacher).

So, what is said, what is done, what is understood in Genesis is very important.
  • Hebrew was the orignal language that was spoken by Adam and the angels. At the tower of Babel, God created 31 new languages ,most of them Semitic,to confuse the sinners.
  • what does Semitic mean?
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6880.msg92360#msg92360 date=1215414111]
    that is a very good opinion.... when you read the Old Testament, most of the names they name places, or people come from a discription of whta that thing is.... (e.x.:She named him Moses,  saying, "I drew him out of the water."(Exodus 2:10)
    so maybe like PK said, the name would have came from the discription.......    (but what was the original vocabulary used by Adam (language)???

That is true. like this days, how we give every new product a name. like computer, net, telephone, television, and so on.
    I think God give to Adam and there children to name every thing.