back to christianity

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I had a question, if someone leaves christianity (officially of unofficially) should they get baptized again ???

Please pray for my weakness
God Bless You

Comments

• The simple answer is "no".

As St. Paul says, "there is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one Baptism."

Baptism is the beginning of a "covenant" with God. All covenants with God are forevermore.
  • As long as the baptism was Orthodox - Protestant converts are rebaptised in the Orthodox tradition

pray for me

joe
  • Thank you...

pray for me, god bless
  • "one babtisim for the remission of sins"
    i read it somewhere..i forget where..
    but i;m sure that covers leaving Christianity and coming backk
  • One baptism for teh remission of sins is from the Orthodox Creed
  • haha..yeah..that;s what i was thinking of (:
  • wouldn't leavinag and coming back be like "el Ebn el Dal" he left his Fatther's house and came back..... and got a top spott back right away... he didn't have to sart from the beggining
  • yep thats really nice :D
  • I thought that was a good parallel, too. Thanks Coptic pharaoh. You know, St. Augustine I think remarked that we should look for substance rather than sophistication. And that was substantial!
  • I think St.Augestine himslef is a grat example of this, His mother cried every day for like 20 years for Him to get back to Christianity (because He was doing really bad things) and after all the crying from His mother He got back to Christ and wrote the Book Confessions of Augestine...

(that is how i was a told a short version of His life story)
  • It's ironic that I was just watching St. Augustine's movie a second ago...
    I also think that (And please correct me if I'm wrong) if you are a Orthodox Christian and convert but you want to come back you don't need to get re baptized unless you got baptized in the religion you converted to.

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
  • where were you watching the movie.. is it on the net or on DVD?
  • DVD, why do you ask?

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6625.msg88451#msg88451 date=1211637557]
    I had a question, if someone leaves christianity (officially of unofficially) should they get baptized again ???

Please pray for my weakness
    God Bless You

No. u can take this as the official response of the CoC (please read the notes on baptism by H.E. Metropolitan Bishoy). You can only be baptised once in the Orthodox Church.
  • [quote author=copt andrew link=topic=6625.msg88770#msg88770 date=1211953065]
    DVD, why do you ask?

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew

I wanted to Watch it... i think the library at my Church has it.... 
  • In the Name of the Father+ and the Son+ and of the Holy Spirit+, the One True God. Amen.

Blessed Augustine  didn't "come back" to Christianity becuase he wasn't a Christian until he converted from Manichianism. Only his saintly mother, St. Monica was a Christian and his father was a pagan.