I really like food and eat all the time, is that a sin.

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Is it something that i have to confess with.

Comments

• it is a sin, if u do it wen ur bored, or if u eat wen ur not hungry just because u want to. if i am rong plz correct me!!!
  • i have never hred this b4.  is it relli a sin? ???woow  i do noe that if ur liek eatin i guess instead of prayin nd not fasting or takin communion then thats a sin for sure

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6387.msg84315#msg84315 date=1206311748]
    i have never hred this b4.  is it relli a sin? ???woow  i do noe that if ur liek eatin i guess instead of prayin nd not fasting or takin communion then thats a sin for sure

/
    mahraeel

I'm not sure if i am correct!!
  • Anything in excess is a sin, if you eat too much its a sin just like if you drink too much its a sin, if you are drinking in moderation then there is nothing wrong with that, but its when you get drunk is when its a sin, the same applies with food if you are eating constantly(when you aren't hungry, if you are constantly hungry then you should get that checked out by a doctor) then yes its wrong
  • soo if u eatt to much it is a sin?  but y.  it doesnt lead to sin? does it?  sry im confused

/
    mahraeel
  • Yes its is, its the fact that you don't have self control is what makes it a sin, eating in of itself is of course not a sin, just like i said with drinking, its because you don't have self control that makes it a sin, now of course people with eating disorders is different but people who don't have any then yes it is
  • What if you drink water when you are NOT thirsty?  Is that a sin?
  • guys lets not get carried away here, you all know what i'm trying to get at. people are supposed to drink 8 cups of water a day, are you telling me that we don't drink when we aren't thirsty all the time, of course we do, lets not get carried away here
  • “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” (Proverbs 23:20-21)
    “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” (Proverbs 28:7)
    “When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you, and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.” (Proverbs 23:2)
  • well. once abouna was talking about that. first thats the exact reason why we fast. second, anything that you do too mush will physically, mentally, and spirtually affect you. (either negative or postive). third, eating is not a sin, the results are.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6387.msg84321#msg84321 date=1206314599]
    Yes its is, its the fact that you don't have self control is what makes it a sin, eating in of itself is of course not a sin, just like i said with drinking, its because you don't have self control that makes it a sin, now of course people with eating disorders is different but people who don't have any then yes it is

LOL how do you think eating disorders start...

Anyway, someone said that too much food doesnt lead to sin.
    Superman mantioned how it is a sin itself.. and I'll tell you how it can lead to sin. Well, first of all, if you get yourself used to eating whenever.. then like anything else, you'll begin to put food ahead of God.. obviously, sin.

Now, when you overeat, generally people get nausea - that is, they feel sick. This makes us totally lazy and throws us off track, therefore, wasting God's precious time...

Furthermore, when we overeat constantly, we become overweight. This causes many health risks such as cardiorespitory disease. Since we are more at risk when overweight, it really means that we partially caused it by our own will. IT then becomes like cutting yourself, smoking. = SIN!!

There's so much more possibilities of things that can go wrong, depending on the individual. Hence, overeating is a dangerous and tricky sin.. Unseamingly dangerous.
  • [quote author=Godblessu link=topic=6387.msg84311#msg84311 date=1206310628]

no it isnt a sin but it is a sin when ur damaging ur body. for example when ur eating a lot of junk food ur gonna end up ill in da end n damaging ur body.
    God gave us a body to look after it and 2 protect it.

• so if one has an eating disoreder, is that a sin
  • [quote author=BabaKyrillosVI link=topic=6387.msg84880#msg84880 date=1207020284]

so if one has an eating disoreder, is that a sin

Ders nfin wrong wid likin 2 eat. in da end eat all u like,
    but EAT HEALTHY FOOD. NOT JUNK FOOD.

dats my point of view.       

remember me in ur prayers. God bless.

Jesus daughter
  • [quote author=Jesus daughter link=topic=6387.msg84807#msg84807 date=1206968323]
    [quote author=Godblessu link=topic=6387.msg84311#msg84311 date=1206310628]

no it isnt a sin but it is a sin when ur damaging ur body. for example when ur eating a lot of junk food ur gonna end up ill in da end n damaging ur body.
    God gave us a body to look after it and 2 protect it.

Yes it is, it's called gluttony. Too much of anything is no good and must be confessed.
  • [quote author=BabaKyrillosVI link=topic=6387.msg84880#msg84880 date=1207020284]

so if one has an eating disoreder, is that a sin

no it aint but EAT HEALTHY FOOD. NOT JUNK FOOD.
    when ur huungry or when u want a snack, eat fruits or drink water or juice. dat will make u full. it wont damage u.

remember me in ur prayers n GOD BLESS!!!!

Jesus daughter
  • It doesn't matter what sort of food you eat.. overeating it will harm you.
  • Why did god give us a lust of food (hunger)?
    - So we can feed so we don't die.
    + Food in itself isn't a sin as we all need to eat. If it was why did god create us to rely on it. Some ascetic fathers have followed the rule of not eating much. THis is of their hight spirituality. I don't recomend this to any person who is not a monk. Many people are start to wonder about this or average people want to try it and is becoming a problem as they can't handle it.

In my views there is nothing wrong with eating when you like. However as every one mentioned self control is needed especially during fasting. WE also need to keep away from being addicted to some food. AS long as we keep to these rules it is not a sin.
    Pray for me
  • what brought the word 'sin' into all this?

the topic started because a person realised they are eating too much maybe...

firstly, do you have a lot of spare time and have nothing to do?

secondly, is anything upsetting you that you are trying to escape from?

thirdly, are you uncomfortable about how your body looks? did you ever go on diets?

okay, find a hobby that you like so you dont get bored if thats the case..go out..read something..play a sport..anything fun!

if you are having any sort of problems i.e. with family, at school/whereever you go, with friends, studying  then i am sorry but eating is not going to make you forget about it and lol no dont turn to drugs (jk)  the problem needs a solution, talk to somebody!

finally, if you think you are overweight/underweight and it is making you upset see a doctor and they can help you. theres nothing to be ashamed of, the only thing to be ashamed of is having any sort of a disease and knowing where to get help but you dont get it.

i wish i helped.
    God bless
  • [quote author=Godblessu link=topic=6387.msg84311#msg84311 date=1206310628]

OK... i have a few questions for u:

a) Do you fast before going to mass?
    b) Do you fast with the Church when the Church is fasting (lent, passion week, apostles fast...)??
    c) Do you eat because you love food, or do u find yourself eating when u are down??

Frankly speaking, and perhaps its best to ask Abouna, but I feel there are 2 types of persons:

a) Those that eat a lot when they are sad, and
    b) Those that eat nothing when they are sad.

Its better to be in group a) than in group b).

However, if u really like food.. that's great. I couldnt stand food when I was young. It all tasted bad to me... until... i had a peche melba.

Have u tried that?? Peche Melba??

Have u tried Creme Brule? Or crepe flambee ??

When u say u eat a lot, are u eating EVERY second???? or u just have a BIG meal??

All I can tell u is this: bil hana wa-shefaa...
  • a) Those that eat a lot when they are sad, and

trust me on this, NO lol

what's all that?
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=6387.msg86730#msg86730 date=1209942611]

trust me on this, NO lol

what's all that?

You don't know Peche Melba??
    U are kidding??
    its the only reason why I'm living in France!!

Oh my goodness... if u are in the UK or US, i feel bad foranyone who loves food. Its all junk food. In France, there's real cuisine. If u don't believe me, look at the movie Ratatouille!!

Peche Melba is the most seductive and delicious desert in the world. There's also Pain Perdu (oh la la!!!)... U MUST TRY Pain perdu...

WHen I think of all these deserts, I must admit, I know how u feel. Its best to try and forget about these foods. Put your focus on spiritual things... try to forget about them, and what they taste like.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6387.msg86764#msg86764 date=1210001914]
    If u don't believe me, look at the movie Ratatouille!!

O, the great Ratatouile, what a source!
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6387.msg86764#msg86764 date=1210001914]
    [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=6387.msg86730#msg86730 date=1209942611]

trust me on this, NO lol

what's all that?

U are kidding??

Oh my goodness... if u are in the UK or US, i feel bad foranyone who loves food. Its all junk food. In France, there's real cuisine. If u don't believe me, look at the movie Ratatouille!!

Peche Melba is the most seductive and delicious desert in the world. There's also Pain Perdu (oh la la!!!)... U MUST TRY Pain perdu...

WHen I think of all these deserts, I must admit, I know how u feel. Its best to try and forget about these foods. Put your focus on spiritual things... try to forget about them, and what they taste like.

no im not kiddin..im confessing my ignorance..
    lool ur funny..living in France just bcoz of the food? hahahaha that cartoon..i saw a little bit of it but its boring...anyways..i was wondering..the person who started this post already loves food and wants no more temptation and u r naming all the deserts lol
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=6387.msg86776#msg86776 date=1210012169]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6387.msg86764#msg86764 date=1210001914]
    [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=6387.msg86730#msg86730 date=1209942611]

trust me on this, NO lol

what's all that?

U are kidding??

no im not kiddin..im confessing my ignorance..
    lool ur funny..living in France just bcoz of the food? hahahaha that cartoon..i saw a little bit of it but its boring...anyways..i was wondering..the person who started this post already loves food and wants no more temptation and u r naming all the deserts lol

Again, if she loves food, and is eating a lot because she loves it, then why not eat the good stuff??

Peche Melba is amazing. Pain perdu is wonderful... u can make it home.. its basically sweet-bread, cooked in milk, and heated... (in a nutshell).

Of course, if u eat a lot, its important to do a lot of charitable deeds so u burn off those calories.

Visiting the people in prison takes a lot of calories. Especially if they are violent towards u.

Suffering for righteousness sake consumes a LOT of calories, especially if u are wounded in the process. So, suffer a bit to burn off those calories!! ;)

Also, being a peace-maker is another fine way to burn calories, especially if u happen to be making peace between someone sa3eedi and someone skindaranee.

Also, the biggest way to burn calories is to have a pure heart. To have a pure heart, u cannot be sitting around idle, U have to be doing something spiritual that's edifying u. Running away from temptation is the best way. How many calarioes could u burn by running away from temptation. Then u could even TIME yourself to see how far u could run each time u are tempted???

So, eat by all means, but then u need to do the exercises to help u burn those calories.

God bless
  • Peche Melba is amazing. Pain perdu is wonderful... u can make it home.. its basically sweet-bread, cooked in milk, and heated... (in a nutshell).

ugggghhh..

Of course, if u eat a lot, its important to do a lot of charitable deeds so u burn off those calories.

Visiting the people in prison takes a lot of calories. Especially if they are violent towards u.

Suffering for righteousness sake consumes a LOT of calories, especially if u are wounded in the process. So, suffer a bit to burn off those calories!!

Also, being a peace-maker is another fine way to burn calories, especially if u happen to be making peace between someone sa3eedi and someone skindaranee.

Also, the biggest way to burn calories is to have a pure heart. To have a pure heart, u cannot be sitting around idle, U have to be doing something spiritual that's edifying u. Running away from temptation is the best way. How many calarioes could u burn by running away from temptation. Then u could even TIME yourself to see how far u could run each time u are tempted???

So, eat by all means, but then u need to do the exercises to help u burn those calories.

God bless

OMG u made me laugh..so is that how you stay in shape???????? lol
  • we shouldnt be worries about what we eat on Earth, we should just eat to live not for pleasure, im not sayin that on Easter, that u shouldnt eat 10 pounds of meat, everyone does lol. but eating may bring you away form God whether u know it or not, u could be eating all day, forgeting God, and may not even thank God for the food.
  • I know a person who always says this: We eat to live, we don't live to eat. I think this phrase can be applied to anything thats not done in moderation
  • [quote author=He Wept link=topic=6387.msg86950#msg86950 date=1210211977]
    we shouldnt be worries about what we eat on Earth, we should just eat to live not for pleasure, im not sayin that on Easter, that u shouldnt eat 10 pounds of meat, everyone does lol. but eating may bring you away form God whether u know it or not, u could be eating all day, forgeting God, and may not even thank God for the food.

Hey, hang on...

That's a really good point. Do you thank God before eating?

But... there's something also that everyone is forgetting:

What's in the heart?? I mean, God looks at the heart. We all eat.. and God made the food taste nice to encourage us to eat. But, why do u feel its a sin. Are u eating someone else's food?? Do u desire someone else's food?? Do u desire my Peche Melba??

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/95/Peach_Melba.jpg/150px-Peach_Melba.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%AAche_Melba&h=216&w=150&sz=9&hl=en&start=8&tbnid=cTZkLr5dYQTLQM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=74&prev=/images?q=%22Peche+Melba%22&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

How bad is your desire for food?? Is it SOO bad that u cannot fast??

In France, all the deserts are soo creamy, soo yummy, so delicious, but we are so used to it, that its something we take for granted.

Even the main courses... its amazing.

What worries me is that if u are eating american or british cuisine and u like it so much that u cannot stop eating... then i agree this is a sin. This food tastes bad. REAL bad. It means that u aren't even enjoying it. No one can eat this type of food and love it UNLESS they had a problem.

If u don't live in France, then yeah, its a sin.