what about intentions..?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
so, i was wondering if your intentions/thoughts/will count for anything.
It could be for you or against you. like if you havee good intetnions ..but execute them the wrong way and cause problems, or you just generally never get around to do anything...does God see the God and give you somethig for that?
What if you have bad thoughts...ideas...ect. but dont act on them?

Comments

• Yes they do to a certain extent, say for example you meant to help a friend out with a problem by giving them advice, but the advice you gave them wasn't helpful and actually more hurtful than anything. Your intentions may have been good, but since the advice was bad, it might count against you. but of course none of us know how God will judge us, just try to do whats right and pray for God's mercy and grace, but if you are having bad thoughts those are still sins, "Assuredly i say to you that whoever looks at a women and lusts for her, has already committed aldutery in his heart" by not acting on them you didn't commit one sin, but still committed one by thinking it
  • How does that saying go, hmmmm:  "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6422.msg84828#msg84828 date=1206988839]
    How does that saying go, hmmmm:  "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

HARDLY in the sense that copticcross3 means. That saying is reffering to the good intentions of the WORLD. the lustful things and materialistic stuff that SEEMS good. Copticcross3, i'm sure that it counts, at least a little bit. Nobody knows how God will judge, but the Lord knows our hearts, and He is a FAIR God. Don't ever forget that God is a fair God. He's our father, and he's a gentle, loving FAIR (I can't stress it enough) God.

• Like the above posts said, no one knows how God will judge each one of us but i think that He does look at intentions... for example, if you find see something in a store that you really like and really want... But you don't have enough money to buy it so..... what do you do? take it without paying for it or leave it???
    now, let's say for arguement's sake... you decided not to take it because you're scared to get in trouble and go to jail. you took that action out of the wrong reason and intention, it shouldn't be because you're scared to get in trouble with the law but God. so even though you left it, it was for the wrong reason, which is just as bad!
    This is probably a very bad example, but I hope you get what i am trying to say (the message behind it).
    God Bless
  • about the thoughts,  they dont count if u kick them out, the devil sends bad thoughts, if u accept them and "enjoy" them ,,,, and like them , than it is a sin, but if u get them , and kick them out right away, than there is no sin...

ex...  St.Anthony(i think) was getting atcked by the devil, who was giving him bad thoughts, so St.Anthony prayed and God send him an angel to show him how to keep busy and not accept these bad thoughts,       

Getting bad thoughts dosn't count, unless u enjoy those thoughts, or u want them , or think about them

God Bless

Coptic Pharaoh

• very true!
  • John 3
    19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.

Bad deeds start as a bad thought (inner and/or whispered-influenced) then a ruminating bad intention then a bad action. I think this whole sequence is sin.

GBU
  • Guys,

I was just being a little funny.

Only God can judge intentions--I agree wholeheartedly.

In the human sense, you usually need a good lawyer and an ethical judge, both of which are hard to find.  This statement is also a joke for those who did not pick-up on it.