3 DaY fAsT...........WHY!?!?!

My aunt asked a question in general, and she said...............................

why do we have only a 3 day fast for Jonah? Why? all he did was stay in a great fish's stomach.

so can u guys answer that!?!?! Why!?!?! And who started it!?!?! who started to fast Jonah's fast!?!?! who said!?!?!

Comments

• we don't fast for jonah.
    we don't fast in honor of people.
    fasting is something you do for yourself generally.
    and abouna said it's three days of first degree fasting because it kinda prepares you for the fast of Easter..so it's not like all of a sudden.
  • i know it is a first degree fasting i know everything u said. but y for jonah!!! just because jonah fasted that means we have to fast? some of the saints fasted, and we didn't fast like how they fasted!!?? so y for jonah!?!?!
  • i know it is a first degree fasting i know everything u said. but y for jonah!!! just because jonah fasted that means we have to fast? some of the saints fasted, and we didn't fast like how they fasted!!?? so y for jonah!?!?!

you;re NOT fasting for Jonah.
    and you don;t have to do anything. Fasting is an option..
    and i think ...it's because of the timeeeingg...

What other examples do you have of Saints fasting [from the Bible] that we don;t have some sort of copy-fast to?

idk...some one elsee needs to answer this i think.
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=6243.msg82367#msg82367 date=1203382558]

i know it is a first degree fasting i know everything u said. but y for jonah!!! just because jonah fasted that means we have to fast? some of the saints fasted, and we didn't fast like how they fasted!!?? so y for jonah!?!?!

you;re NOT fasting for Jonah.
    and you don;t have to do anything. Fasting is an option..
    and i think ...it's because of the timeeeingg...

What other examples do you have of Saints fasting [from the Bible] that we don;t have some sort of copy-fast to?

idk...some one elsee needs to answer this i think.

u don't understand wut i mean......................
    look i know we don't fast for jonah, i probably worded it rong, but y did they choose jonah's fast!?!?! and some of the saints have fasted, but they aren't in the bible. so y do they choose certain fasts!?!?!?! like jonah's fast......................... and so on and so forth!?!?!?
  • The three days Jonah spent in the belly of the fish represents Christ himself. also the people of Ninevah fasted for 3 days in order for God to accept their repentance. so we do the same asking God for the forgiveness of our sins
  • We fast because the people of Ninevah fasted three days for God's forgiveness. We put this fast 2 weeks before the great lent to prepare us for the great lent as well as learn from the ninevites to ask for God's forgiveness in the Great and Holy fast that we may be worthy of having Him die for us to save us from our sins and free us from the slavery of sin.
  • [quote author=His Servant link=topic=6243.msg82375#msg82375 date=1203383486]
    We fast because the people of Ninevah fasted three days for God's forgiveness. We put this fast 2 weeks before the great lent to prepare us for the great lent as well as learn from the ninevites to ask for God's forgiveness in the Great and Holy fast that we may be worthy of having Him die for us to save us from our sins and free us from the slavery of sin.

love it!!!!! i understand, but my mom said she wants more answers!?!?! i guess she isn't convinced!!
  • if you think about it, they fasted because they sinned and needed forgivness.Christ dies to forgive us. but we don't deserve His forgivness. we also need an example of a people who fasted so that they can gain forgivness and not perish. we look at them to learn how to fast with revrence and we practice fasting with them so that we may fast the same way. we are both fasting for a common cause so the church saw it fitting to practice fasting with them in preperation for the ultimate and most important fast, we need to practice because people normally fast wed. and fri. without fish but not usually more than that. so we practice doing a little more this week so that we get used to the deep prayer and self control needed during lent. there is an article on coptichymns.net that says

Two weeks prior to Great Lent there is Jonah’s Fast, also known as Nineveh’s Fast. It is a short fast, only three days, and it is a fast of repentance. During this fast, we live with Jonah his fasting and repentance in the whale’s belly. We also live with the Ninevites their fasting and repentance. Just as the fasting accompanied by repentance saved Jonah and the Ninevites from perdition, also our fasting accompanied by repentance will save us from eternal destruction and death due to sin.

the whole article is found here: http://coptichymns.net/module-library-viewpub-tid-1-pid-431.html its called preperation for the great lent. i hope that helped.
  • [quote author=His Servant link=topic=6243.msg82377#msg82377 date=1203384093]
    if you think about it, they fasted because they sinned and needed forgivness.Christ dies to forgive us. but we don't deserve His forgivness. we also need an example of a people who fasted so that they can gain forgivness and not perish. we look at them to learn how to fast with revrence and we practice fasting with them so that we may fast the same way. we are both fasting for a common cause so the church saw it fitting to practice fasting with them in preperation for the ultimate and most important fast, we need to practice because people normally fast wed. and fri. without fish but not usually more than that. so we practice doing a little more this week so that we get used to the deep prayer and self control needed during lent. there is an article on coptichymns.net that says

Two weeks prior to Great Lent there is Jonah’s Fast, also known as Nineveh’s Fast. It is a short fast, only three days, and it is a fast of repentance. During this fast, we live with Jonah his fasting and repentance in the whale’s belly. We also live with the Ninevites their fasting and repentance. Just as the fasting accompanied by repentance saved Jonah and the Ninevites from perdition, also our fasting accompanied by repentance will save us from eternal destruction and death due to sin.

the whole article is found here: http://coptichymns.net/module-library-viewpub-tid-1-pid-431.html its called preperation for the great lent. i hope that helped.

thnx!!!