Does meditation really help for concentration? & other..paraliminal

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Does it also involve eastern religions or stuff..?

will it help me be able to sit down and concentrate so I can get my study done?

Is it wrong to listen to paraliminal tapes?

this is from a question from yahoo.. THE BELOW

Hi, what does this word mean?
hi, what does this word " Paraliminal" mean??Coz its in quotation marks(so i assume its not a word) and its not in the dictionary, so thanks;-)

A breakthrough "Paraliminal" way
to dramatically improve your vocabulary

I couldn't find it in the dictionary either, but looking on Google it seems to me that it is like 'Subliminal' but where in a subliminal message you don't realise you are hearing the messages that are being given to you, with 'Paraliminal' you do and are awrae of them.

I cut this example below. It seems to be associated with a lot of self help stuff..

"Even though the name sounds like “subliminals,” Paraliminals are a completely different animal. There are no hidden subliminal messages on the CDs. What’s unique about Paraliminals is that you actually hear a different voice in each ear. That might sound strange — or even overwhelming — but the way it’s implemented is pleasantly relaxing."

Comments

• wow this is funny because we actually studied meditation and stuff recently in my world literature class.  I don't really see anything wrong with meditation because it is just a means of cleansing yourself of unuseful thoughts.  But one way of meditation is to take one (good) thought and think about it a lot rather than canceling everything out.  So what better a thought than God and his greatness.  I think thats a great way to meditate or unwind before studying and stuff.
    As for the paraliminal stuff I'm not too familiar with it in particular but i know there can be some bad subliminal messages that tell you to do bad things and others that are harmless that would like tell u to drink sprite or something lol. I guess it depends on your ability to not be swayed by bad messages.
    Hope that helps
    -Peter
  • Dear mikeforjesus,

It is much better if you ask your FOC about these.

I do NOT recommend it at all and I would never willingly decide to subject my brain to an excessive strain by unknown voices in order to bring a split in my thoughts to the extent of hypnosis, or any other type of self induced hypnosis. It's preferable to pray.

In a more natural way it could be done by trying to convince myself with my own voice (plus my own writing) of something good I want to acquire and know it is somehow realistic and reachable - like attitude, intellectual or behavioral.

I try to always pray five minutes before studying. I try to remember to mark a tiny cross on the pages, even an unreadable one with my finger nail! One thing I very rarely tried that helped me just a little in my studies, is to record my own voice during the second time reading of a difficult subject or some lengthy poetry. It's like a personal repeatable private lesson-lecture, or for revisions if it's well summarized in points containing all the important details and keywords. I'd still have to write/jot while listening the first few times. Then perform self tests, repeat and try to improve till exams. This could help memorize difficult chapters (do not neglect other chapters though) or vocabulary but please do not waste your time: it should be done only if you manage to do it in a transparent manner. Try it just few times to see if it's worth the effort.

My sincere advice is to avoid any thing related to hypnosis, magnetism or karma. It's like going to the pharmacy to buy a drug someone told you about its benefits, use it regularly then get addicted to. I doubt if these programs are officially approved anyway - check the FDA for one.

When you delve into hypnosis trance, even willingly or "consciously", you could feel really lost after few sessions. Please do not use that. They will always find people testifying they are very happy and grateful about these programs for propaganda and ads. They usually don't mention unhappy customers.

Hope I helped. GBU
  • Thankyou. I appreciate your replies.