What Caused the Pope to Ban Visiting the Holy Land?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hello Everyone,

My parents have told me that no Coptic Christian, except with permission of the pope can go to Jerusalem. But what is the reason the pope banned it?

Thanks for your help,
and
God Bless

Comments

• Oh...

Sorry for posting it in the wrong category...
  • This is quiet an interesting topic.
    There was a documentary on this topic here in Australia a while ago. In the holy Sepulchre there is alot of political unrest. The copts and ethiopians are fighting. And others are fighting for the right to certain areas this is really bad. To me it is the work of satan but yeah.

hope this has helped!!

[+†+] JustiN [+†+]
  • [quote author=ChildofChrist link=board=12;threadid=3931;start=0#msg55251 date=1148346665]
    Hello Everyone,

My parents have told me that no Coptic Christian, except with permission of the pope can go to Jerusalem. But what is the reason the pope banned it?

The Coptic people are an oppressed minority in a largely Muslim Arab country. As Patriarch, it is the duty of H.H. the Pope to do what he feels is best for his people.

From what I heard he stated that no Copt should visit the Holy Land until the problem with the Palestinians is resolved.

I assumed he said this to show the Muslims that the Coptic Church is sympathetic to the Palestinian cause and to use this as a way of easing Christian-Muslim tension in Egypt.

That being said, there were hundreds of Copts in Jerusalem when I was there last month - so it seems it is not impossible for Copts to visit.
  • H.H. Pope Shenoda...
    also said that "no one is allowed to go untill all muslims go hand in hand with the christians!"
    ........... ???
    kinda seem impossible but everything is possible with god.
    GBWU
  • from what i know the pope will not enter the holy land unless it is with the top muslim shiekh. however, if the shiekh does such a thing.. the muslim community will probably kill him and the christians.. so i dunno..
  • The pope simply said that no copts are allowed to go because first with the problem with Israel and Palestine...and second of all...he doesn't want us to get in the middle of that...to have a little ownership to our mother land...meaning if going to Jeuraslem is going to be a harm for Egyptains (arabs in general)...then we need to do what's good for the country not for our desire.
  • i have heard abt that as well :o
  • So you guys never heard of the monastery that the Israeli Government refused to had back to the Coptic Church and handed it to one of our sister churches instead???
  • helo everybody im new to this website forum and about this topic i actual asked abouna and he said H.H. doesn't want us to go till the muslims go. " That being said, there were hundreds of Copts in Jerusalem when I was there last month - so it seems it is not impossible for Copts to visit. ms go" (orthodox11) he actually got mad at somebody at the weekly sermon in the cathdral because they said they went to Jerusalem or something like that and he was yelling for like a half hour at that person. :D
  • The Coptic Church is on the black list for some reason. I heard from a bishop (don't ask me lol)
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=3931.msg59992#msg59992 date=1156989685]
    H.H. Pope Shenoda...
    also said that "no one is allowed to go untill all muslims go hand in hand with the christians!"
    ...........  ???
    kinda seem impossible but everything is possible with god.
    GBWU

Pope SHenouda is very wise. We allow non-Christians to enter the church, so why should only Christians be allowed to visit the holy land from Egypt? It is wrong. Our faith is not an exclusive one. If it were, then we shouldn't be preaching the Gospel to others.

Jasmine
  • i read an article from egypt today here it is http://www.egypttoday.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6883
    in it it says that the church will not normalize relations with Israel until there is a lasting settlement to the Isreali-Palestinian conflict
    said by the pope
    hope this helps

pray 4 my weakness

your brother in Christ,
                                Mark