How does one become a Priest?

Hello and greetings to all,

I'm new to this community, but I've been reading the forums for a while now. I decided to finally make an account :)

I was wondering, how does someone become a priest? Do you just ask your FOC to recommend you, and based on your 'record', so to speak, he grants that wish or no? Some enlightenment is needed here from my brothers in Christ  :)

Also, are there any Coptic Orthodox Theological Seminarys in the USA? I know of 2 so far; one in Corpus Christi, Texas, and the other is somewhere in California. The one in Corpus Christi accepts high school diplomas as minimum to enter, and they offer up to a Master's in Divinity.

I'm in 10th grade...but it is getting close to the age where we must start to direct our life in a certain direction.

Yours in Christ,
Severus

Comments

• OK, you can't just ask for it, you have to be picked ... someone will eventually post a verse for it, (I think its in timothy, or you can talk about how God Hand picked saint marry and the disciples) but in order to be a priest you have to be chosen by God for it. There is a lot of requirements and obligations its not as easy as any priest makes it look.

and those two monsetaries i don't think they are schools, i think they are just monstaries..... sorry i can't spell haha good luck next year in highschool by the way .. its gonna STINK!!! i SUGGEST YOU LEARN HOW TO STUDY.... its all in the study habits .... ok bye
  • Of course, it isn't easy...you are responsible for each person in the church's community.

Pope Shenouda said to a newly ordained priest that if you fail to work with he who sins, God will put the his blood on your head. Likewise, if he doesn't listen to your advise, it's his fault, which yields that he is condemned.

Obviously, it isn't too easy knowing this fact.

And they are schools, here are some links:
    http://www.suscopts.org/seminary/
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/9944/

Also, I'd like to mention that H.G. Anba Antonius-Markos told us that there is no such thing as luck, only God's will  ;)

• I'm pretty sure back in the day in Egypt most priests that were ordained were graduates of the theological seminary school in cairo.  This practice howerver has been "downgraded" might i say by HH.  Now the person who becomes a priest is usually nominated by his congregation and then the approval of the area's Bishop is needed and of course the Popes.  People usually don't nominate themselves to be priests though, its more of a chosen thing.  Hope I helped.
    God Bless
  • I see. Is it safe to discuss this with our FOC?
  • That should not be a problem and should definetely be something that is discussed between you and him
  • Ok, thanks guys  ;D

I'd also like to ask - what's the trick to getting Coptic to display in the signature? I had to use Greek, since it's built into Windows XP...
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

To get coptic to display, just use the following html tags: [ coptic ] [ /coptic ] (minus the spaces).
  • Thanks  :)
  • [quote author=Severus link=topic=5773.msg77275#msg77275 date=1190314472]
    I see. Is it safe to discuss this with our FOC?

that probaly one of the only people you will  be talking to lol, and to be a priest a bishop in charge of churches, might pick somebody to send to the church that he might know or heard of, and the church deciedes, ( the people ).. and i think maybe someone could tell the bishop of somebody he think is good...
  • +
    May our Lord and Saviour protect you from the priesthood. It is by far the most difficult lifestyle. I hope and pray that you do not seek it.

from the fathers:
    Don't request it, don't reject it.
  • Also, Severus, you have to be really dedicated. ARE YOU 100% SURE YOU WANT TO BE A PRIEST AND NOT REGRET IT??? Also, you should be rather considering about joining the HICS if that is really the direction you want to go. Don't be one if you are not up to the challenge.
  • lol Habibi you are in 10th grade, 15-16, you have many many years ahead of you, i dont noe wat gave you the idea i need to point my life in direction, or what not. Despite what your guidence counselers tell you, you are still young and you have many years god willing to choose your path. I promise you, that you will change your mind at one point or another and maybe even wave back and forth between different paths. Just stop, breathe, and then pray because i think your GETTING WAY WAY ahead of yourself. And besides the priesthood, just like wat was mentioned before is not a career choice, it is a calling as saint paul writes "And no man takes this honor to himself, but he who is called by God, just as Aaron was." (Heb 5:4)
  • Aren't all of the classes at the HICS in Arabic? I'm good at Egyptian Arabic (speaking wise), but not, for example Biblical Arabic. I'm illiterate in Arabic, unfortunately.
  • [quote author=Severus link=topic=5773.msg78124#msg78124 date=1191956233]
    Aren't all of the classes at the HICS in Arabic? I'm good at Egyptian Arabic (speaking wise), but not, for example Biblical Arabic. I'm illiterate in Arabic, unfortunately.

If you wanted to become a priest in the Coptic Church - despite your insistance on 'Coptic only' for services - knowing how to read and write standard Arabic would be essential. So maybe your first step towards priesthood should be to enroll for an Arabic class.
  • Oh, I wasn't 'insisting', just suggesting.

I was planning to find a college that teaches Arabic and take that for all four years of it in order to become proficient.
    They are thinking of bringing Arabic to the school district here - this way, I would get 2 years of pre-college Arabic + the 4 years of Arabic in college.

I guess that would be enough Arabic, right?  ;)
  • Actually, there is a priest in Holmdel, NJ who doesn't write Arabic and barely speaks it well...

I however don't think that is the issue. You are still very young... Furthermore no priests can be ordained if they don't have a college education... I believe I'm right on this point, somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
  • Yea, I'm planning for a 6 year degree in pharmacy as of now.

It wouldn't really work otherwise...good to have something to fall back on.
  • Just wanted to bring up a point, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet. You also must be very knowledged about the church. They don't ordain priests for fun, they ordain them because of their knowledge and love of service, I know a deacon who is 15 years old in my church but it definitely looks like he is going to be a priest. He carries his services very well and he is very knowledged in the church and alhan. He loves the service more than his life, and is at church at least 4-5 days a week, 6 during lent. Being a priest is a tough responsibility, you must know the meaning of everything you do. Also, you must be wise and gentle and patient. You will see problems you have never seen before and there will be people who are just agrivating but you have to know how to deal with them. Being a priest is one of the toughest jobs in the world.
  • Doesn't everyone get a chance to learn?

There is a problem, if you will. I live an hour away from my COC. I only get to be there on Sunday...it's not a good situation at all.

I just began serving regularly in late July/early August as a deacon. I love every minute of it, but it will take a while before I catch on to everything that goes on. Speaking of which, are there any instructional videos of a Liturgy? I'd like to really tear down the Liturgy into steps and discover the purpose of each step. Of course, in-depth notation would accompany this, but where to find such a video...
  • I'm not sure if there are any video's on this website but im sure you will eventually find one. I think that because you are just serving as a deacon when you are older you love it, many people who serve when they are younger and become older take it for granted. Also you need to serve as more than a deacon, and really get involved with your church, i understand your circumstances but maybe you can talk to your FOC and set something up so you can come more often.
  • Instead of finding a video why don't come early one time  take notes at church during a liturgy one day and then ask abouna to explain any questions you might have about what went on or why he does something or why we do such and such, i also recomend reading "The Spirituality of the Rites of the Holy Liturgy in the Coptic Orthodox Church" by Anba Mettaous it gives a good detailed explaination of what goes on Here is a link to it on orthodoxbookstore.org
    http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=887
    Also here is a link to other books that could help you in understainding the Liturgy
    http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was going to ask Abouna how I can become more involved...but its that stretch of 55 miles that makes things so difficult  :-\

Also, check this book out:
    http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=886

That looks like it could be helpful, eh?  :)

I've got a ton of reading to do...
    'Comparative Theology' (half way through this) (H.H. Pope Shenouda III)
    'Priesthood' (H.H. Pope Shenouda III)
    'On the Incarnation' (St. Athanasius)
    And another book on the writings of St. Athanasius

+ 'Priesthood' by H.G. Bishop Mettaous and
    'The Spirituality of the Rites...' also by H.G.

I always try to rush my family on Sunday, which works decently. We usually make it a little past everyone has dressed in the service vestments, with some occasions that we actually make it before.
  • Did you ever think about spending the night on Saturdays after ashia and tasbeha so you could just drive twice instead of 4 times
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was going to ask Abouna how I can become more involved...but its that stretch of 55 miles that makes things so difficult 

i feel your pain :/ haha..im like an dhour drive away too

maybe you can suggest they have a day for all deacons to teach them about the mass and ect. im sure a whole lot of other ppl would like to understand why we do what we do during mass
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=5773.msg78142#msg78142 date=1191979569]
    Did you ever think about spending the night on Saturdays after ashia and tasbeha so you could just drive twice instead of 4 times

But where, in the Church? And with my whole family?

Maybe this can happen next February or so, when I get my drivers' license in sha'allah  :)
  • Is it possible for you to catch a ride with someone that is already going thats somewhat near you? Doesn't your church have somewhere where people can spend the night like a small are with a couple of rooms?
  • No, the only other Coptic family that lives near me is my uncle, and he only goes on Sundays as well. As for rooms, no, our church doesn't have any extra ones that I know of.
  • hey mate
    have u already discussed this with ur FOC? let me tell u something a common mistake..... somebody mentioned ur sixteen or something u  haven’t even finished high school yet. it is common for young people to fall for such huge conviction to committing  themselves to the church either cause they are having a great time in service or because of an attractive trait they see in others.
    there is no problem with this the only thing i  believe is a matter as such a thought/ desire as such is something that u meant to keep pretty quite in ur heart and as our church teachers focus on first proving to get ur life together. and wile that is happening focus on growing to God not in terms of becoming a priest but being Gods servant.
    now i am sure that u are aware already of all the orders one goes through before they can become a priests others have already outlined all the activities u need to see ur self increase.

i think u should leave this as a matter of God's choice and just grow.
    a common mistake with this is when young people have such desires they get carried away and chunk too big
    what do i mean by that they get overwhelming at what they want to achieve and the shear amount of things to read to learn rites and etc
    it is important to class the activity from abstract to detailed see having done this u should no longer concentrate on the top of the list but right at the bottom and slowly move up the list if along the way God has a different plan then so bit if not then good luck also it should be very well detailed much more than what i wrote with a time line get ur FOC to help u with it i think this approach will help
                                                                  abstract-------      why    what purpose   
    Serve GOD his servant
    Service monasticism
    Become a priest
    Gives me joy blessing
    etc
    laterally
    Monastery
    Theological college
    Learn Arabic
    Good job servant
    university----pharmacy
    Finish high school
    Regular attendance to mass
    Deacon
    Sunday school teacher
    Church rites
    tasbeha
    agape readings and fasting                                    specific
    Obedience                                                            detailed            how when who             
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=5773.msg78139#msg78139 date=1191973286]
    Instead of finding a video why don't come early one time  take notes at church during a liturgy one day and then ask abouna to explain any questions you might have about what went on or why he does something or why we do such and such, i also recomend reading "The Spirituality of the Rites of the Holy Liturgy in the Coptic Orthodox Church" by Anba Mettaous it gives a good detailed explaination of what goes on Here is a link to it on orthodoxbookstore.org
    http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=887
    Also here is a link to other books that could help you in understainding the Liturgy
    http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25

Thats a good idea the only thing is that there is sooo much symbolism in the liturgy it is impossible to know what everything is. And some of it isn't as obvious. There is also a lot of symbolism in the church by itself without a liturgy, that isn't hard to find a book on, actually you can pm me your email and i can send you something that is somewhat helpful. Also church history is important which im sure you can find books on. As it was mentioned OrthodoxBookstore.com is a great site, but if your church has a bookstore I would check there as well. Also there is suscopts.org i believe that has a couple of books on the rites of the church. And just look on- line for articles and what not and you will find a lot. But the symbolism in the liturgy is tough, maybe you can spend a few hours or a couple days with a priest and he can explain everything to you, the only problem is that they never have that much time so maybe like a class a week. That is what they did in my church in a class we called the deaconate program where someone video taped the liturgy and taught us what the priest is doing why he is doing it and the symbolism of it as well as what the deacon is doing why he is doing it and what the symbolism behind it is. Also the deacons outside, what they are doing and why they are doing it, then we went into the holy Pascha and the symbolism and things we do there but we did not finish. I hope i helped and I am sorry that i am not able to help you with the symbolism in the liturgy.
  • Thanks alot for that nice list, karas. I understand that it is very easy to fall into an illusion...it happens to every one at this age.

I have asked my FOC and he said to just build a strong relationship with God. This was a few months ago - I'll ask him again probably at the beginning of next year.

Life in Christ, thanks for the help. I wish our church had those kind of lessons. But again, even if they did, it's so far away...