Discrepancies in the Bible?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello,

I came across something strange here.

Please check out 1 KINGS 9:26 to 28

1Ki 9:26  And King Solomon built a navy in Ezion-geber, which is beside Eloth, on the lip of the Sea of Reeds, in the land of Edom.
1Ki 9:27  And Hiram sent his servants in the navy, shipmen who knew the sea, with the servants of Solomon;
1Ki 9:28  and they came to Ophir and took gold from there, four hundred and twenty talents, and brought it in to King Solomon.

And now look at 2 CHRON 8:16 to 19

2Ch 8:16  And all the work of Solomon was prepared to the day of the foundation of the house of Jehovah, and until its completion. The house of Jehovah was finished.
2Ch 8:17  And Solomon went to Ezion-geber, and to Eloth on the seacoast, in the land of Edom.
2Ch 8:18  And Hiram sent ships to him by the hand of his servants, and servants who knew the sea. And they went with the servants of Solomon to Ophir, and took from there four hundred and fifty talents of gold, and brought it to King Solomon.

The amount of gold given to Solomon does not appear to be the same. There is a difference between 420 talents and 450 talents. For the same story.

What happened? How there be differences if they are the same story!?

Please help.

Thanks

Comments

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Could be scribal error.
  • Or there just could have been a translation error.
  • you're quite observant. lol

But anyways thats such a small difference it doesnt change the fundamentals of the story. The different writers may have counted differently...?
  • We round up amounts all the time; to the nearest 10, 50 or 100.

For instance my shoes cost $80 dollars; but my sister always whines to my parents that I have a hundred dollar shoes. When I had a $90 Nintendo game years ago, she would say "man, a hundred bucks".

Another thing is that different criterion or interpretation of data can be summarized in ways that make the findings look like they are comparable.
  • Have a read of this:
    http://debate.org.uk/topics/apolog/contrads.htm

God bless their work; and may we be able as them to defend our faith. But more importantly may we grow in it, and produce fruits pleasing to the Lord.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5814.msg78210#msg78210 date=1192099435]
    Wallahi, it could the exchange rate from gold to the local currency that changed since the 2nd book was written.

Please... people.. think with me,i need good answers!!

Thanks

Good answers?  What is wrong with an answer such as 'scribal error'?  You don't think it's possible?  Do you have any idea what the transcribing process was like at that time?  How many hours it took to do everything by hand?  The poor lighting conditions, the exhaustion?  Are you trying to tell me that such a scenario is not possible at all?