marriage from different religion!

13»

Comments

• Thank you christ4 life and indeed all at tasbeha
  • What is everyones opinion of an Orthodox marrying a Baptist???
  • "the two will become one flesh.." the two will be united in one spirit becoming one flesh. Our Church is an apostolic chuch, it is clear if the church does not allow the marriage without baptism then it can not be acceptable.
  • amanda, marrying a baptist in the coptic orthodox church is like marrying a catholic, a protestant, and any1 else except some1 in the Orthodox Churh is not allowed. You become 1 spirit and flesh with who you marry. That can't happen if you don't share the same faith.
  • [quote author=amanda85 link=board=13;threadid=1820;start=60#msg31903 date=1121046798]
    What is everyones opinion of an Orthodox marrying a Baptist???

The Coptic church wouldn't allow u to get married in it unless both are baptised coptic orthodox and know the coptic faith...u can still be an orthodox after marriage even if he is a baptist...but he like can't take commuinon and stuff..and it would be kinda of confusing to children and of what faith u want to raise them.
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=board=13;threadid=1820;start=0#msg27604 date=1118184167]
    btw; in my post i assumed a non christian convertinginto a christian ;D

if u leave christ for "love" than ur out of ur mind obviously :(

I agree wholeheartedly. It's always said that a true christian marriage is a man, a woman, and Christ. If it lacks Christ, it's no good.

sleepy
  • i would also agree with all of you!!! good replys everyone!!!! thanks and peace!!!! lol
    batikha-basketball :)
  • I agree without a doubt. Priests ALWAYS say marriage is a connection and bond between a man woman and Christ. If you lack Christ, you lack the whole sacrament, in that lacking the holiness of it.
  • Tell me then plz.

If - no when - i convert to the Church what will that mean to my Muslim husband - or more over to me being married to him?

Geraldine
  • I think you would have to see a priest for that. See, here, we are all talking about getting married to a person of a different religion. None of us are actually married to a person of a different religion.

God be with all
    Pray for me
  • Well sad to say but I will then . It is a very distressing situation to be in

Ger
  • I can imagine, but maybe you can come to an agreement, or compromise with the priest in your area...

God be with all
    Pray for me
  • [glow=red,2,300]I think you would have to see a priest for that. See, here, we are all talking about getting married to a person of a different religion. None of us are actually married to a person of a different religion.[/glow]

i would also agree!!!! good stuff!!!!

• And Geraldine, I'm curious to know what a priest has to say about it this so if you don't mind posting what the priest says, I'd appreciate. If it would make you uncomfterable, however, there is no problem. Thanks for everything.

May god help you.
  • yes i would like to know to if that is okay..... i do not want to invade here!!!!! thanks and god bless!!!!
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=13;threadid=1820;start=60#msg32052 date=1121135594]
    And Geraldine, I'm curious to know what a priest has to say about it this so if you don't mind posting what the priest says, I'd appreciate. If it would make you uncomfterable, however, there is no problem. Thanks for everything.

I will let u know how things progress with me.. Thank you all for your prayers.

In God we put our trust.

Geraldine
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=13;threadid=1820;start=60#msg32019 date=1121128979]
    I can imagine, but maybe you can come to an agreement, or compromise with the priest in your area...

God be with all
    Pray for me

best answer!
  • I was married to somebody from a different religion once. She was an atheist (does not believe in God). She was born a Protestant but did not practice religion.
    We meet at university and feel in love through youth. When we decided to get married we had a problem for I wanted my church but she did not want any church.
    She agreed to be baptised in our church so that we may get married in it.
    Regretably we are no longer together. Luckly we had no children.
    From my own personal experiance I would say that marrying outside your/our religion is not only wrong but does not work out. Marrying somebody who is not of the same nationality is almost certainly marrying somebody outside our faith and that is wrong.
    We need to keep it in the family as the saying goes.
  • amazing story....thats what i was talking about!!!think of your kids!! :'(
  • My saving grace as pointed out was that I did not have any children.
    The other thing that is also important is that 'age' is a very importnat factor.
    I was young and thought that there are no barriers and that we can overcome everything. How wrong I was.
    The reality is that our faith, our nationality, or customs are there for a reason and importantly have withstood the test of time. Whilst we we fall in love and out of it, follow fashon and then not, etc... be assured that out tradition (including our faith and marriage) is the right way to go.
  • [quote author=Deano link=topic=1820.msg32160#msg32160 date=1121196120]
    I was married to somebody from a different religion once. She was an atheist (does not believe in God). She was born a Protestant but did not practice religion.
    We meet at university and feel in love through youth. When we decided to get married we had a problem for I wanted my church but she did not want any church.
    From my own personal experiance I would say that marrying outside your/our religion is not only wrong but does not work out. Marrying somebody who is not of the same nationality is almost certainly marrying somebody outside our faith and that is wrong.

Marrying someone outside our own nationality is like marrying someone of another religion? I disagree! Look at this:
    Anglican (John) is a Coptic Orthodox Christian with NO ties to Egypt. So am I. We love our Orthodox faith, yet we are not egyptian nationals.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I think that we should differentiate something.  There are those who convert for the sake of getting married, without appreciating the beauty that is the Orthodox Church, as was the case for Deano.  However, those who convert to the Church so that they can better know Christ, and so that they can learn the Faith and be part of the one body of Christ are another group of people entirely.  In the case of John and yourself (vassilios), you have joined the Church out of your love for Christ and your continual journey towards full communion with Him.  Thus, you are Coptic Orthodox even if you are not Egyptian by nationality.  The danger lies in marrying someone who is outside of the Church and then converts solely for the purpose of marriage.  This type of conversion is for the wrong reason.  This is a person converting so that they can be with another person, not for the sake of their love for Christ.  Such conversions tend to be short lived.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=1820.msg74158#msg74158 date=1184248333]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I think that we should differentiate something.  There are those who convert for the sake of getting married, without appreciating the beauty that is the Orthodox Church, as was the case for Deano.  However, those who convert to the Church so that they can better know Christ, and so that they can learn the Faith and be part of the one body of Christ are another group of people entirely.  In the case of John and yourself (vassilios), you have joined the Church out of your love for Christ and your continual journey towards full communion with Him.  Thus, you are Coptic Orthodox even if you are not Egyptian by nationality.  The danger lies in marrying someone who is outside of the Church and then converts solely for the purpose of marriage.  This type of conversion is for the wrong reason.  This is a person converting so that they can be with another person, not for the sake of their love for Christ.  Such conversions tend to be short lived.

Yes. In that case, i do agree. I don't believe my faith is tied down or deeply dependent on a nationality. If we are the Bride of Christ, then should this body of Christ be only accessible for the Egyptians!? no! For anyone who believes.

I was married to somebody from a different religion once. She was an atheist (does not believe in God). She was born a Protestant but did not practice religion.

She joined the church for you.. not for Jesus. That's where it went wrong.
    If God has it planned that way, it will work out. I know a priest who is married to a lovely woman, they have beautiful children and a great relationship. She's not Egyptian. :).
    Marrying somebody who is not of the same nationality is almost certainly marrying somebody outside our faith and that is wrong.

The Orthodox Church is the One, Holy CATHOLIC and Apostolic Church. To suggest that the Orthodox faith is limited to one nationality is heresy.

If you look at the Oriental Orthodox Church, of which the Coptic Church is a part, Copts number only about 15million. Compare that to the 40million Ethiopians, and add to that number the Armenians, Syrians, Indians, and converts of other nationalities, you'll quicly find that the OO faith is not restricted to a single nationality.
  • it depends on who is changing thier religion and changing it to which religion.for example: so if a guy is coptic orthodox and the woman is muslim the guy shoudn't change his religion to a religion against his own religion. the woman should change her religion because the man should no that his religion is the correct religion. and he should no that if he is baptised he is one with the holy spirit.
  • its wrong. read the story of solomon.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=1820.msg74245#msg74245 date=1184351804]
    [quote author=Deano link=topic=1820.msg32160#msg32160 date=1121196120]
    Marrying somebody who is not of the same nationality is almost certainly marrying somebody outside our faith and that is wrong.

The Orthodox Church is the One, Holy CATHOLIC and Apostolic Church. To suggest that the Orthodox faith is limited to one nationality is heresy.

If you look at the Oriental Orthodox Church, of which the Coptic Church is a part, Copts number only about 15million. Compare that to the 40million Ethiopians, and add to that number the Armenians, Syrians, Indians, and converts of other nationalities, you'll quicly find that the OO faith is not restricted to a single nationality.

If this is true, then how come you did not say this in the post about the 20 Most Influential Copts?
  • is this a step forward  or a step backward? is this a step futher in fulfilling  the greater goal or backward.

'i am sick of people in living in the century gone makes me sick to the stomach. are we really fulfilling the apostles word by saying lets keep to our selves and remain isolated and say even segregated. arent we behaving like the jews and the phraises...

what did st thomas do did he go to india in vain. i doint think so by marrying someone of a diffretn background we can easily join them to the family of christ. of course the biggest part is makin sure it happens in Gods time.

it is a mans own burden to make sure he does everthing possible for the success of his mariage and if it doesnt work out then use his wisdom to make the right decision. personally i believe if a man take another woman of another race culture and thier love is pure and the  man seeks God and his assitance keeps things real and uses wisdiom and advice from his fellow friedns and family he should succeed.

if he doesnt then well he tried his best time to move on.

but to only marry in ur culture my this attitude so has to go a step backwards....i beleive.