Christian opinion on other religions

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
what should my opinion be on other religions. if somebody asks me what is your opinion on XXX religion what is the Christian answer? what should i think of the people who believe in a xxx religion?

Please answer

Comments

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I guess you could say that, while elements of Truth can be found in other faiths, the fullness of Truth can only be found in Christianity.  As for people of other faiths, you should love and respect them because they are also created in the image and likeness of God.
  • Yes, Κηφᾶς is right. You must love them like you would love anybody else. Like anyone else, you should treat them like your brothers and sisters, help them when possible, offer your advice, etc. The religious difference just means you don't have that in common with them, just like you would be different from any other person, eg. your favourite colour is purple and theirs is green...

A Christian opinion on other religions is not really much of an opinion, but a belief.. If one believes Christianity is the true faith, then obviously, other religions must be wrong. Opinion is really dependant on you.. i mean it is your opinion. You must, however, respect other faiths just as you would want them to respect yours.. because they believe their faith to be true just as you believe yours to be true.. So you should be sensitive when discussing such delicate topics..

Yep.. I think I'm done lol.. let me know if you have follow-up questions or just don't know what on earth i was going on about :)
  • the other religion i usually encounter is Muslim faith. i told my colleague that the religion was evil and he answer that we must respect all religions. i think i was wrong to say such thing and i am sorry for it, yet i don't know what to think of this religion. If i met a Muslim person i would treat him/her as anybody else and i have no bad feeling for them except sadness for they are greatly misled. 

i am confused. i don't want to scare people away form Christianity because of my opinion that my not be approved of God
  • [quote author=Klara link=topic=5685.msg75850#msg75850 date=1187794464]
    the other religion i usually encounter is Muslim faith. i told my colleague that the religion was evil and he answer that we must respect all religions. i think i was wrong to say such thing and i am sorry for it, yet i don't know what to think of this religion. If i met a Muslim person i would treat him/her as anybody else and i have no bad feeling for them except sadness for they are greatly misled. 

i am confused. i don't want to scare people away form Christianity because of my opinion that my not be approved of God

the problem with Isalm, as spoken about before, is that most of the people that are in Islam don't know the real quranic Islam. like they're just living peacfully as normal ppl, praying giving doing good we bas....thinking that this is the true Islam. so it would be hard to speak to them in a that way since they wouldn 't know the full Islamic truth.

also he was right....u should respect other religions. why?!! because a riligion is just another one's faith. disrespect that, u disrespect him and his own belifes.

so te best way to deal with this is what Cefas said below.

to support what he said, it is documented that Muhamad Gundhi said that, "I would of became a Christian if it wasn't for Christians." becasue of us messing out on what we're supposed to do, people just leave ur faith.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I am of the opinion that Islam is an evil religion as well.  Any person who takes an honest look at it (historically and spiritually) will see that.  However, the fact that Islam does contain elements of Christianity in it (although it is somewhat perverted) illustrates that Islam does have some truth in it.  Thus, there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with the religion, but you do not hate the follower of that religion.  You should show the beauty of Christ in your life and in your words, but you certainly should not degrade any person's faith.
  • Thank You for your help.

conclusion I've reached

I believe that other religions are crated by devil to prevent people from enjoying the presence of God. Those who do not believe in Christ are living in darkness that torments their souls in silence so that they do not discover it least they shall awake to saving knowledge of Christ. I feel sorry for those poor souls and implore God for Hid mercy.
  • Good conclusion!

Proverbs 9:12
    "If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you; if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer."
    This implies to show first love and respect.
    Proverbs 11:30
    "The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise."
    Proverbs 13:14
    "The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death."

A great, winning attitude is that of St Paul when he started preaching pagan Athenians:

Acts 17:22
    Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious."

GBU
  • Like St Paul, we should always look for positives in others rather than the negatives. I do not believe God is only just, but merciful. Some people out there do believe in a false reality and it is sad.. but instead of just feeling sorry for them, we should do something about it. when you ask God to let you pass your exam, you must do your part by studying.. right? well this is the same. You should pray for these people and give them an opportunity to knoe God. The best way to do it is to make yourself a mirror image of Jesus.! Of course, if the opportunity arrises you should also speak to them, etc.
    God Bless!
  • If other religions teach peace, love and understanding, then there is something in them of the love of God, whether they know Christ or not; these can live with us.

Those religions which cannot live peacefully with Christianity are by that very fact a threat; we know they cannot prevail against God's Church - but we know they are the gates of Hades.

We are commanded to love our enemies and to turn the other cheek - not to judge. So that is what we should do. It is what the Coptic Church has done these many years - and one of the many ways we see the Spirit move in Her.

We should not hate the sinner, but the sin; we should love the sinner.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • For we are sinners. Our righteousness is from Him.
  • [glow=red,2,300]In The Name of the Father+ and the Son+ and the Holy Spirit, the One True God. Amen.[/glow]
    St. John of Damascus wrote his wonderful critque of Islam a bit after Muhammad died! He also lived within an Islamic empire when he wrote this work: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/stjohn_islam.aspx . Please enjoy ;D.

[glow=red,2,300]Glory to the Father+ and to the Son+ and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen. [/glow]