Near Death Experiences

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
why do they happen to only a select group of people?
i'm currently reading a book about it....."The Light Beyond"
and i was just really curious why certain ppl get second chances ...and get to live again...?

Comments

• what do you mean live AGAIN... like Lazureth? ( sorry for spelling ).. if so.. the Lord, said ask and it shall be given..so they came to Jesus asking to heal him-ressurect him

Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" John 11:40

i think that he gave him a second life, because they asked the Lord, and had faith....

but i dont understand your question fully...
  • Hmmm you question is a 'complex question'- it asserts that we don't get second chances.

That is not true. This might be their "Second chance", but we also have second chances, even "seventy times seven"(I mean a lot not 490) chances. This is theirs, today is ours. How it comes about is for God to decide.
  • what i mean, is people that get into say an accident, and they're legally dead...then they have this experience...where they "float" and see themselves, and the people around them, but no one can hear them. Then they go through this dark tunnel, that ends with extreme bright light. They find themselves with other dead family members and friends in a place with many flowers, and they say that for the first time ever, they feel total peace and love for everything. Then this "being of light" aka: GOD...goes through a review of their life with them, and they sense everything from a third person prespective ,he then tells them it's not their time and they have to go back, so they get sent back, and usually come back angry at the doctors because they wanted to stay in this place. But, it changes these ppl's lives for the better. And they basically get a second chance at life. you really have to read the book to understand what i'm trying to describe :/ . but anyways,  Some of these people are (maybe were) non-believers, there was a mormon case i read about...and just ppl of many different backgrounds...i mean...why them?? out of the (over) 6 billion ppl alive..why do they get to experience this phenomenon?
  • WOW...its a good question but im not sure if there is any answer
    everyday is a miracle and a blessing from God
    unfortunately only God can know the answer to your question
    we all have our time on earth and these people that experince such things are in a sense awakening us, a form of spiritual revival...

interesting question tho...u jus me thinkin now lol :)
  • yeahh, it's been on my mind ever since  i started reading the book.
    it's one of the MOST interesting and fascinating things i have read about. it happens to ppl ranging anywhere from 6 monthd old to ...well...uhh older...lol. (one guy even saw hell...:o)

another question is:: is that really what's gonna happen after???
    we're gonna go through a tunnel, see our relatives , God, then have a review of our life??  wouldn't be on judgment day...not death day?? :/
  • This is very strange, and I don't even know what to tell you. I'm inclined to believe that these are hallucinations, but I don't know how often these stories coincide. It could be that each person is somehow experiences what he or she believes to be heaven. You would be surprised how easily the brain can cause this. Although, I have not read the book, and I can't say anything with certainty. Even if this is true, the answer to the question of second chances would be that God gives everyone what is necessary for his or her salvation. That is, God knows what will affect those people and bring them to a better knowledge of Christianity.
  • it's real, well, i'm convinced anyways :) lol...
    uhh, it's not that uncommon, idk how old my book is, but at that time, there were 8 million cases in the U.S.
    These people, when they came back, were telling there family members things that were happening in other hospital rooms, things that actually did happen. They float around, unnoticed...until the tunnel opens up.. ehhhh
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I'd be more interested to see if such a phenomenon is found in other parts of the world, not just the West.
  • Dear Copticcross,

I am inclined toward what Κηφᾶς wrote; after all there are many books in the west which describe 'alien abduction' and the like; I'm disinclined to give them any credit, and not sure about the 'near death' business.

We shall know soon enough!

In Christ,

Anglian
  • idk...i'll see if i can find out, i haven't finished the whole book.
    I trust this book because it's written by a doctor who researched this for years and years and interviewed thousands
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

While John and I are by no means trying to put down this author, a healthy dose of skepticism never hurt anyone.  Again, this sort of phenomenon, as John has pointed out, is not too uncommon in the West.  However, you don't often hear about this thing in Eastern cultures (at least, I haven't).  It just makes me wonder why we haven't.
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5541.msg74077#msg74077 date=1184131863]
    what i mean, is people that get into say an accident, and they're legally dead...then they have this experience...where they "float" and see themselves, and the people around them, but no one can hear them. Then they go through this dark tunnel, that ends with extreme bright light. They find themselves with other dead family members and friends in a place with many flowers, and they say that for the first time ever, they feel total peace and love for everything. Then this "being of light" aka: GOD...goes through a review of their life with them, and they sense everything from a third person prespective ,he then tells them it's not their time and they have to go back, so they get sent back, and usually come back angry at the doctors because they wanted to stay in this place. But, it changes these ppl's lives for the better. And they basically get a second chance at life. you really have to read the book to understand what i'm trying to describe :/ . but anyways,  Some of these people are (maybe were) non-believers, there was a mormon case i read about...and just ppl of many different backgrounds...i mean...why them?? out of the (over) 6 billion ppl alive..why do they get to experience this phenomenon?

I never knew that was possible...
  • who's john?

and yea..i didn't really know all that much until i read that boook...i've had a teacher that experienced this though....
    i checked the year the book was made and it was like 1988 :o lol

idk, i'm pretty convinced, but then again, i might be the most gullable person alive :/ lol
  • The ways of God are imperceptible.
  • maybe they get second chances because God thinks that it is not thier time to die yet. Maybe the devil pushes u down sometimes, but with God u can rise up and fly beyond.if u were in a near death problem won't u feel like u want another chance?a chance to make ur life closer to god.
  • no, according to 95% of these people, after they went to this place, they experienced TRUE LOVE AND TRUE PEACE, for the first time ever, and don't wanna leave. some are asked by the "the being of ligh" aka God, if they wanna go back, and they say no,, but then they're told they have to go back, and they are jerked back to life.
    they're  totally changed when they come back thoughh :/