Devil and us

Does the devil tempt coptic people more because he knows that we struggle the most to be closer to christ?

Comments

• Yes, i think so. But then again, the uncopts or unchristians have a more percentage of "falling", because they wouldnt have any faith or any way to defeat the devil, so temptations are more likely to occur. I guess the temptations for the copts would be way powerful, becuase a devoted copt has alot of faith, and the power of the cross.

Am i right? lol
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=5533.msg73933#msg73933 date=1183951834]
    Does the devil tempt coptic people more because he knows that we struggle the most to be closer to christ?

the davil goes after everyone to destroy. i don't think he'll think about copts or other....he just want everyone to be where he is........hellll.
  • Mina is surely right here? We must avoid falling into the sin of pride - which would be to think that the Devil would single Copts out because we are somehow more virtuous.

That said, it is surely the case that he tries hardest where he thinks we are closest to escaping him.

One of the many impressive witnesses which the Copts have borne for the Faith is their example under persecution.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=5533.msg73933#msg73933 date=1183951834]

It is true that the devil will attack you more the closer you come to Christ, but I don't think that necessarily means he's harder on Copts.

As with everyone else (and we must remember that the Coptic Church - i.e. the Patriarchate of Alexandria - is only one part of a much larger Church), there are Copts who struggle very hard, and there are others who are lazy and sinful; the devil will tempt them accordingly.
  • I agree with Orthodox11.

We believe that in the monasteries of Ethiopia, where monks pray day and night, the devil is always out to get them.  It is said that he even knows what time they pray certain prayers and comes to get them during that time. There are many stories written down in which the devil tries very hard to make them fall in sin, from bad thoughts to coming as a woman in order to tempt them.

There are also monasteries for women as well, but haven't heard any stories about the devil tempting them and stuff, but i'm sure they are also tested as we all are.  But after the test, we will be clear like a gold would after it faces melting, molding, and all the process. 

I must say that although the devil tempts everyone, whether Christian, Islam, Buddist, Hindu, etc. and try to make everyone sin, I think he tries hard to divide our Church more and fights very hard our fathers that are in Church/Monastries praying all the time because he knows we have the true faith. Though we cannot win against him without the power of Christ.
  • Most of the more stringent Protestant church I know of say that they are more tempted that other more progressive church and that the devil works hardest on those that are closer to God.

Personally, I don't think that is true.  After 5000 years or so, I don't think the devil has to work hard at all on what he does best.

Taylor
  • Dear Taylor,

Indeed! Our weakened nature leaves us open to Satan's wiles, and only through the help of God can we get the strength to resist.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • quick question (didn't wanna start a new topic, since it's sorta similiar)

why exactly does the "devil want us where he us....helllll" ??
  • A good warrior will not just try to defeat his opponent but will try to turn his opponents allies against itself so that the opponent is defeated within.

Taylor
  • I have another question in regard to this.  Is there exorcism in the Coptic Church? Is it a big deal?  In my church, it is kind of big deal. 

Especially there is this place in Ethiopia where there is holy water ( i forgot the saint's name it is named after) where it has the power to exorcise the evil spirits that are controlling someone. When people are there witnessing and watching the miracle, all of a sudden, they start screaming and yelling too because of the evil spirits that are in them. They did not even know they had it in them.  I really want to go there and see it for my self. 

Perhaps I have some in me??   ;D  Lol this is serious matter don't know why i'm joking. Maybe i really do .... God knows.
  • Has anybody seen a devil before by the way?

There are what we call spirits of evil and also those who have flesh like us.

THat's kind of scary. But we shouldn't be scared of them, since Christ is with us. We can jsut make the cross sign, and they will just tremble and flee.

That is if we have faith, right? What about a person who doesn't have faith? Are they scared of him/her if he makes the sign?
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5533.msg74279#msg74279 date=1184448881]
    why exactly does the "devil want us where he us....helllll" ??

The Devil's goal is to separate us from the love of God.  He does this by tempting us to sin, and by trying to have us refrain from repenting and confessing.  He hates all that is good and pure, and wants us to remain corrupt and in our sins.  He has always been jealous of man from the time man was created, and has always sought out his destruction.  That is why he does everything he can to bring us down to hell with him.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=Hailemikael link=topic=5533.msg74400#msg74400 date=1184722183]
    I have another question in regard to this.  Is there exorcism in the Coptic Church? Is it a big deal?  In my church, it is kind of big deal. 

Yes, there are exorcisms performed in the Coptic Church.  However, they are not a big deal (although people can make a big deal out of them).  Recall back to the story of the 70 apostles whom Christ gave authority to cast out demons:

The seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, in your name even the demons submit to us!" He said to them, "I watched Satan fall from heaven like a flash of lightning.  See, I have given you authority to tread on snakes and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy; and nothing will hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice at this, that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."
    -- Luke 10:17-20
  • the devil goes after everyone who takes the body and blood because they will have enternal life. so the devil  doesn't have that much of as problem with people who don't take communion cause he knows they will go to hell if they don't have the body and the blood.
  • Is that really true? ^^^ That everyone who does not take the body and blood of christ will go to hell?
  • [quote author=Hailemikael link=topic=5533.msg75118#msg75118 date=1186315913]
    Is that really true? ^^^ That everyone who does not take the body and blood of christ will go to hell?

John 6:56
    "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him."

how can you abide in Him if, as He said above, not take His body and blood which He sacreficed for everyone.
  • Wow, so what about those Christian denominations that do not believe in taking the communion?
  • [quote author=Hailemikael link=topic=5533.msg75124#msg75124 date=1186345684]
    Wow, so what about those Christian denominations that do not believe in taking the communion?

That's for God to decide.. And we know He is merciful :)

In response to the original question.. it's simple.. demons have a fighting spirit..
    the more they fail, the harder they try.

I believe we can learn alot from that.
  • [quote author=Hailemikael link=topic=5533.msg75124#msg75124 date=1186345684]
    Wow, so what about those Christian denominations that do not believe in taking the communion?

This can answer your question:
    Re: Salvation
  • I think we need to recognise in all humility that it is God who decides who is to be saved, and it is He who decides where the Church is. It may be that other denominations are, for some, a step towards the fulness we find in Orthodoxy.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • Hey, Angelian ... you are absolutely right about that.

Even those who aren't Christians and have not heard of the Gospel before, they are judged through
    their concise.  Because at the end, everyone has to be judged.
  • Dear Hailemikael,

Indeed, and you are right; in the end we shall all be judged by the only Just Judge.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • no well i believe wat mina said the devil wants everyone but he also gets it easy with noncopts cuz they can fall easily rite?
    but also, he tries hard with us becuz we have  alot of faith and he wants us to loose it.  so technicallyu he doesnt give upp with the tempting!!

/
    mahareel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ
  • [quote author=Hailemikael link=topic=5533.msg74421#msg74421 date=1184744441]
    Has anybody seen a devil before by the way?

THat's kind of scary. But we shouldn't be scared of them, since Christ is with us. We can jsut make the cross sign, and they will just tremble and flee.

That is if we have faith, right? What about a person who doesn't have faith? Are they scared of him/her if he makes the sign?

Many exorcisms by a coptic priest in egypt can be found on youtube. One example is this:

• [quote author=Hailemikael link=topic=5533.msg74421#msg74421 date=1184744441]
    Has anybody seen a devil before by the way?

Same idea like that described in Genesis 6: 1-4 about the Nephilim (except that they are sons of God)?

That sounds intriguing, where can I find mention of this in the Bible or other Coptic Orthodox books?
  • We can jsut make the cross sign, and they will just tremble and flee.

Hey, no one answered this question of mine. lol

If a person doesn't have faith (and also let's say... uhh doesn't care about his spiritual life and is the devil's tool), if he sees a 'demon', and makes the sign of the cross... will the demon be frightened of him? 
    I don't think so...... because Jesus Kristos said that even the demons themselves believe in God and tremble before Him. 

But what about a believer who is of this world? what i mean by that is..... who is worldly (Pope Shenouda--i read somewhere something like-- that we should be spiritual and that we should fight with the enemy with God's help and strength-- i thin it was in "Diabolic Warfare" and also others I read before.) and doesn't care to take the Communion and doesn't care to repent..... but just makes an excuse of Jesus Kristos' crucifiction .... the common ..... "Jesus died for our sins".... thus we can do whatever we want with our lives and as long as we ask forgiveness by our selves to Him (this seems to be the mentality of many protestants..... like Pentecostals, Baptists (Anabaptists), Methodists, etc...)  ... I don't believe they believe in having Father of Confession lol...... I don't know if God hears our repentance without FOC... but I think He does ..... but He might prefer it if we had one lol.  Right? Let me know what you all think.
    Because it will help us get stronger in our spiritual life.. he will also give us advise and stuff......

... I still didn't get one .... I'm going to get one sometimes soon.  I really should have one.... i kinda' feel bad... but not that bad.... for Jesus died for me, right? lol just kidding.... that's a sorry excuse for a Christian.  For the Bible said that we should repent as soon as possible (i forgot what part of the New Testament it said this... lol.... when Jesus was telling the deciples or the people ---one of which--  to repent as soon as possible for any thing we did against God). 

Sorry if I wrote too much... just i have few questions needed to take care of. lol :D

If you all want me, I can start another thread. Just let me know or tell me!!!!!! >:(

;)

Bye!