would you ever marry your cousin????

13»

Comments

• Personally i think the marriage of cousins is wrong for the following reasons:

1) the child will have the same "great-grandfather" on both sides....which is too close
    2) cousins are closer to being brother and sister, than being just friends
    3)Most cousins bascially grow up in the same household "by this i mean grow up in the same "familial atmosphere" not necessarilly the same house"
    4)Marriage among cousins has proven to have some negative effects on the offspring. An example would be, say the grandfather has diabetes...and passed it on......now both his grandchildren carry the gene making it more likely to occur in the offspring.  Also chidlren born to cousins tend to have missing teeth, bald spots, and other slight physical deformaties.
  • Its actually illegal in France.
    You cannot marry, in a Civil Wedding, someone who is related to you. This poses a great problem in fact.

Copts are allowed to marry their cousins. However a priest cannot marry you in France UNLESS you are married in a civil wedding first. The Civil marriage cannot take place because you are marrying your cousin. So in France, a Copt cannot marry his cousin. He'll have to go to the UK.
  • Hi Gregory!

I just have a small question:
    You said in point 2 below that cousins will usually grow up in the same familial environment? What's wrong with that?
    and finally, with respect to having the same grandparents as each other: U are right in that BOTH of them will only have ONE grandfather and ONE grandmother.. but this means they'll have something in common to talk about!!  lol
    Also,what about if the grandfather had green eyes. It means that this will also most likely be passed onto the grandchildren? non?So, its not so bad.

[quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=3053.msg70515#msg70515 date=1177972220]
    Personally i think the marriage of cousins is wrong for the following reasons:

1) the child will have the same "great-grandfather" on both sides....which is too close
    3)Most cousins bascially grow up in the same household "by this i mean grow up in the same "familial atmosphere" not necessarilly the same house"
    4)Marriage among cousins has proven to have some negative effects on the offspring. An example would be, say the grandfather has diabetes...and passed it on......now both his grandchildren carry the gene making it more likely to occur in the offspring.  Also chidlren born to cousins tend to have missing teeth, bald spots, and other slight physical deformaties.
  • here in Ethiopia it is not possible to marry from relatives, it is forbiden by our orthodox church. but taking the advise of friends and asking fathers in ur church is good i think. u coptics have many great fathers. so please deal with them also.

remember me in ur preyer.
  • THat's strange, i thought the orthodox church would be united in what they allow. I know many people that married their cousins!! Lol... its hilarious cos, they were in love, but it took ages to get married cos they were complexed about it.

I think its also something islamic to marry your cousin. There was a song I heard whilst in Egypt - it went like this :"Mayil wisqini ya wad 3ami, may-yil wis'ini, ana moush 3atchana ya wad 3ami, da 7obak yer-weeni".
  • Hi Gregory!

You said in point 2 below that cousins will usually grow up in the same familial environment? What's wrong with that?
    and finally, with respect to having the same grandparents as each other: U are right in that BOTH of them will only have ONE grandfather and ONE grandmother.. but this means they'll have something in common to talk about!!  lol
    Also,what about if the grandfather had green eyes. It means that this will also most likely be passed onto the grandchildren? non?So, its not so bad.

Dear Vassilios
    By Point 2: I mean that htey will grow up more as brother and sister.....so personally I don't find it appropriate that two people who were raised in the same household/manner and raised to be family, should become husband and wife (just my opinion)
    secondly:
    By Point 4: You stated what if the Grandfather had green eyes, well thats somehting superficial, I mean would you risk getting your child a higher risk of diabetes and heart problems for Green Eyes.  Secondly, a grandfather is just like the father right?  Now can you imagine marrying your sister?  Of course not!

But this is just my personal opinion, I'm not fully against it because our Holy Church allows it, I just dont prefer it and don't recommend it.
  • Well Gregory,

I don't either favour marriage between cousins (as your self), but Im saying that for one of the points u mentioned, that AT LEAST they'll have a lot in common to talk about (the commonality being the family!!).

Secondly, if the grandparents had NO heart problem or any health issues, and ONLY had green eyes, then that would be passed.

When the genetic pools are soo close, i do understand that problems could exist. U should ask a doctor. I think Ophadece could tell us more about this.

[quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=3053.msg71121#msg71121 date=1179584685]
    Hi Gregory!

Dear Vassilios
    By Point 2: I mean that htey will grow up more as brother and sister.....so personally I don't find it appropriate that two people who were raised in the same household/manner and raised to be family, should become husband and wife (just my opinion)
    secondly:
    By Point 4: You stated what if the Grandfather had green eyes, well thats somehting superficial, I mean would you risk getting your child a higher risk of diabetes and heart problems for Green Eyes.  Secondly, a grandfather is just like the father right?  Now can you imagine marrying your sister?  Of course not!

But this is just my personal opinion, I'm not fully against it because our Holy Church allows it, I just dont prefer it and don't recommend it.
  • Ya i guess I see were your goin about the commonality of being in the family, but still when you spend a lifetime with a person whether you know them or never seen them, your gonna find a lot to talk about.
    Secondly,
    I understand your view, about what if hte grandparents have no problems, but 99% of the time there are usually recessive disases, so when the genetic pools are close, chances of getting those recessive diseases increase.
    The reason I stress this point alot, is because I've studied it soo often, I didn't just here about it, I actually took it.
    But I'd love to take anyone's opinon.
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=3053.msg71135#msg71135 date=1179607846]
    Ya i guess I see were your goin about the commonality of being in the family, but still when you spend a lifetime with a person whether you know them or never seen them, your gonna find a lot to talk about.
    Secondly,
    I understand your view, about what if hte grandparents have no problems, but 99% of the time there are usually recessive disases, so when the genetic pools are close, chances of getting those recessive diseases increase.
    The reason I stress this point alot, is because I've studied it soo often, I didn't just here about it, I actually took it.
    But I'd love to take anyone's opinon.

Hi Greg,

Well i do agree. Marrying your cousins is not too good for the health of the kids. What do u mean by recessive diseases. So, does that mean ? does it imply that if the grandfather had a gene pool where he had a receissive gene that was a deformaty and it didnt effect him, that it could then effect his kids or his grandchildren??

hmmm...

As for couples having stuff in common, i agree... people should make the effort to talk and perhaps even play monopoly together to get to know one another better.
  • Basically Ya, i.e. Tay-Sachs disease is a recessive disease that is common in a group of people called the Ashkenazi Jews, who basically breed within their own.  What happens is that the  baby is born with too much fatty acids in the nerve cells in his brain and ends up dying before the age of 5 ,  So basically like back to our example if the Grandfather doesnt have it, or his sons don't have it, they are sitll carriers, which means when their children get married and have their own children this means that the chance for them getting that disease are much higher because the recessive diseased gene is found on both the paternal and the maternal side. 

God Bless,
    o and to add something sorta ironic, my grandparents were cousins and so was my uncle and his wife
  • In the UK the Anglican Church will not allow the marriage of cousins; indeed there is a long list of people who cannot be married in Church. For example, you cannot marry your step-father, because although there is no biological relationship between step-father and step-daughter, there is a familial one, and it would be immoral - and might, indeed, encourage immorality.

That being said, the state is a good deal less fussy and will marry just about anyone to anyone else - including men to men and women to women - as long as you call the last 'a civil partnership' and not a 'marriage'. To many of us this adds hypocrisy to the sin of allowing couples of the same gender to 'marry'.

Put in that context, 'kissin' cousins' as the Americans call them, seems positively minor.

In Christ,

John
  • 1) the child will have the same "great-grandfather" on both sides....which is too close

i agree with all of thjis especaily #1
  • well these days people dont marry their immediate cousins instead they marry their mum's counsin, or dad's cousin or their cousin's cousins lol
    in regards to the health concern......the likelihood is increased but the risk may still be there regardless.....you wouldnt NOT marry someone becoz of their poor health or wud u??
  • I believe the premise of the question is incorrect. It follows the Begging the Question (Petitio principii) fallacy, and more specifically the fallacy of interrogration.

It is like someone coming to you saying "Have you stopped killing people"- who is to say I ever started?

Likewise, I ask, who would ever marry?

Haha. I was only joking. Interesting opinions.

• [quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=3053.msg73183#msg73183 date=1182695174]
    I believe the premise of the question is incorrect. It follows the Begging the Question (Petitio principii) fallacy, and more specifically the fallacy of interrogration.

It is like someone coming to you saying "Have you stopped killing people"- who is to say I ever started?

Likewise, I ask, who would ever marry?

Haha. I was only joking. Interesting opinions.

hahahahahah i hardly understood a thing u said lol wat a funni dude

God bless n take care

note: no need to impress wif ur big words lol jkz
  • My cousins are my siblings. I can't imagine them in any other way. Is that church law to legitimate cousin marriage or the Bible supports it too, a big question cause I think Bible prohibits blood related marriage?
  • Personally i think the marriage of cousins is wrong for the following reasons:

Agree with all of your points. You spoke my mind. Thank you.
  • > gregorytheSinner > Personally i think the marriage of cousins is wrong for the following reasons:

• Absolutely!! Agree with all of your points. You spoke my mind, thank you!