Valentines Day

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
ah yes....glorious day for couples n a depressing one for singles hahahaha

anyways does anyone know much about St valentine??

Comments

• July 30th

The PriestMartyr Bishop Valentine (Valentinus or Ualentinos) and his Three Disciples the Holy Martyrs Proculus, Ephibius and Apollonius, and Righteous Avundius lived during the III Century. Saint Valentine was bishop in Umbria (Italy), in the city of Interamnum. He had the gift from God of healing various maladies through prayer to the Lord Jesus Christ. during this time there had come from Athens to Rome the three pagan youths Proculus, Ephibius and Apollonius, for further study in the Roman sciences and language. They found themselves a tutor, by the name of Craton, and lived in his home. It so happened, that the son of Craton named Cherimon fell grievously ill, and his spine was so contorted that it left his head at his knees. Craton turned to Bishop Valentine with an ardent request for help for his sick son. Having come to Rome for Craton, the holy bishop secluded himself in the same room with the sick youth and prayed fervently all night. When day came, the happy parents beheld their son all healed, they believed in Christ and were baptised together with all their household. Craton's students, the youths Proculus, Ephibius and Apollonius likewise accepted holy Baptism and became, together with Cherimon, devoted disciples of Saint Valentine. Fame about the spiritual teacher quickly spread, and many a youth and lad was converted to the faith in Christ. In their number was also the city-head's son, Avundius, who having accepted holy Baptism was ablaze in spirit and openly confessed himself a Christian in front of everyone. This was a bold thing to do, since at this time pagan polytheism ruled in the world, and Christianity was persecuted. The wrath of the youth's father and other city leaders fell upon holy Bishop Valentine, the teacher of the youths. They began to demand that renounce Christ and worship idols. After much torture they threw him into prison, where his students started coming to him. Learning of this, the city-head gave orders to take Valentine out of the prison and behead him. Saint Valentine's students Proculus, Ephibius and Apollonius took the body of their teacher and carried it off to the city of Interamnum, where with reverence they buried it. They spent their days at the grave of the holy bishop in prayer, and to them gathered both believers and pagans also, whom they converted to the true faith. This became known to the authorities. They arrested the youths and threw them in prison. Fearing that people might break the sufferers out of prison, the executioners by night beheaded them. Righteous Avundius, learning that his friends had been locked up in prison, hastened off to them, but finding them no longer alive, he grieved deeply. He took up their bodies and buried them at the grave of holy Bishop Valentine.
  • Dear orthodox11 and all,
    Very interesting story. But why did St. Valentine become a symbol of love?
    God bless you all and mention me in your prayers
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5292.msg70727#msg70727 date=1178632693]
    Dear orthodox11 and all,
    Very interesting story. But why did St. Valentine become a symbol of love?
    God bless you all and mention me in your prayers

Not the same Valentine.

The Pagan celebration enjoyed by many with the symbols of the various pagan gods and cupid with his arrow and the raunchy sexual overtones associated with this shameful celebration is NOT from the Holy Church. The Holy Church does not have a recored of any Saint that could be associated in any way to the carnal paganism and materialism common to what people celebrate called "valentines day".

And this celebration is not a celebration of love but of lust.

I do not mean to upset anyone who likes this celebration. Many of us has found a way to neatly wrap this practice into a "christian" cover. If you are happy with that than that is your choice.

The fact is that the whole "valentines day" celebration is its pure state is 100% pagan. You will find it interesting to research what each symbol means. The Heart, the Arrow into the heart, The flowers, the candy. Get the picture yet. The natural intent of these images are shamefully immoral. You ever wondered why the "heart" or "love heart" has that double looped shape? A real heart looks nothing like that; so what is the point of this shape?. If you know this answer than you get my point. If you  do not than you will be shocked. And if you are true strong about your orthodoxy you will be thoroughly offended. As I was when I found out.

I am happy that the St. Valentine mentioned on this thread seems to be a true Saint. But people are not celebrating "valentines day" because of him unfortunately.
  • Dear Dcn. Amde,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I really tend to agree with you in every word, although I am ignorant about the answers of the questions you posed.
    God bless you and mention me in your prayers
  • ophadece

Christ has Risen!

The images and symbols of the pagan "valentines day" celebration has various books published on the subject which break down the meanings. I read it a few years ago. I will try to find it and post it on this thread.

May The lord bless you in all ways that lead to His rightiousness and peace...Amen

DAT

• Dear Dcn. Amde,
    Truly He has Risen,
    God bless you in your search, and don't worry. You just gave me a new piece of information that I cherish very much.
    God bless you and mention me in your prayers
  • [quote author=Dcn. Amde link=topic=5292.msg70823#msg70823 date=1178815180]
    The images and symbols of the pagan "valentines day" celebration has various books published on the subject which break down the meanings. I read it a few years ago. I will try to find it and post it on this thread.

sounds like an interesting read
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5292.msg70872#msg70872 date=1179062723]
    [quote author=Dcn. Amde link=topic=5292.msg70823#msg70823 date=1178815180]

sounds like an interesting read

Yes it does.. post it soon!